276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Calculations in AS / A Level Chemistry

£16.945£33.89Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have removed the Google search box because it was giving problems. Follow this link to find out how you can still search Chemguide using keywords. Covers basic atomic properties (electronic structures, ionisation energies, electron affinities, atomic and ionic radii, and the atomic hydrogen emission spectrum), bonding (including intermolecular bonding) and structures (ionic, molecular, giant covalent and metallic). At school level, chemistry is, above anything else, a practical subject and a potentially dangerous practical subject at that. Only a handful of students starting at the age of 11 will go on to read chemistry at university. More will need chemistry for medicine or biology, but the majority will forget all the chemistry they ever knew soon after leaving. What they will be left with are practical skills in handling fragile equipment and potentially dangerous materials including household things like bleach, oven cleaner, paint stripper and weedkiller.

is joint author (with Ray Oliver) of Longman Chemistry for IGCSE (published June 2005). This book was approved by Edexcel International for use with their IGCSE Chemistry syllabus, and was also adapted by Ray Oliver from my GCSE book. Beware that this book is no longer appropriate for Edexcel International GCSE examinations from 2011 onwards, and has been out of print for some time. Even if someone gives you a free copy, don't use it! urn:oclc:record:1357518972 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier calculationsinas0000clar Identifier-ark ark:/13960/s2b33239gvx Invoice 1652 Isbn 0582411270 Ocr tesseract 5.2.0-1-gc42a Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 1.0000 Ocr_module_version 0.0.18 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-2000803 Openlibrary_edition As of July 2016, I am unlikely to add anything new to Chemguide, apart from the occasional bit of maintenance to make sure that it is as accurate as possible.The Longman GCSE book was written to cover the chemistry content of all the UK GCSE Chemistry syllabuses at the time (2002). It is aimed at students likely to achieve grades from A* to B, and written in a way that wouldn't cause problems for students going on to do chemistry at a higher level. A retitled version of the book will also cover the new Edexcel Certificate in Chemistry which will be taught from September 2012. The two syllabuses will be identical from that point, with only tiny changes to the present International GCSE syllabus.

Don't be misled by the book's title! It was written to cover the calculations in UK AS and A level chemistry syllabuses (roughly for ages 16 - 18 years), but chemistry calculations are just the same wherever in the world you are working. Potassium dichromate(VI) solution turns green as it reacts with the iron(II) ions, and there is no way you could possibly detect the color change when you have one drop of excess orange solution in a strongly colored green solution. With potassium dichromate(VI) solution you have to use a separate indicator, known as a redox indicator. These change color in the presence of an oxidizing agent. There are several such indicators - such as diphenylamine sulfonate. This gives a violet-blue color in the presence of excess potassium dichromate(VI) solution. This started with A-Level groups and then moved down to GCSE groups and even occasionally to a third form group. Chamber music worked best because it is clearer; large orchestral pieces echoing around in a big lab just sound ‘muddy’. You mightn’t expect this to appeal to teenagers, but it did, and if I forgot to put it on, they invariably reminded me. What it did was make the whole lab experience feel calm and civilised. The 21st century will see fundamental changes in chemical manufacturing and chemical use worldwide. Traditional petroleum resources will gradually be replaced by sustainable resources derived from nature including trees, plants and food and biorefinery wastes. Chemicals determined to be hazardous to the environment will have to be substituted. The unique set of circumstances provides an exciting opportunity for the discovery and application of new green chemistry solutions to these sustainability challenges.Quite a lot of our students were aiming to be doctors, dentists, vets, physiotherapists and so on. I remember a very able girl saying to me “I’m going to be a doctor. Why do I need to know the conditions for manufacturing polythene?” There is no good answer to that! I have always believed that you get the best out of students if you never talk down to them. If they are taught carefully and clearly, then most students are capable of more than they imagine, and success with the early parts of a course breeds enjoyment, and then further success, in a virtuous circle. The book aims to be as helpful as possible in making chemistry understandable, but without losing rigour.

We are investigating a range of green chemical technologies and their application to major chemical challenges. These include environmentally friendly heterogeneous catalysis, energy efficient microwave and ultrasonic-activated processes, supercritical fluid extraction of valuable chemicals from plants, and novel materials derived from biomass. Recent breakthroughs in the York Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence include the isolation of valuable chemicals from wheatstraw, the design of new catalysts for organic chemistry in water (including the conversion of fermentation broths), and the conversion of starch and cellulose into higher value polymeric materials including a new family of carbonaceous materials with enormous applications potential Periodic Table: including some history, the structure of the table, the noble gases, Groups 1 and 7, and an introduction to transition metalsThis covers an introduction to atomic structure and bonding (including metallic bonding and intermolecular forces) and the relationship between the structures of elements and compounds and their physical properties. Edexcel has produced a 'real' chemistry syllabus for International GCSE, which is intellectually satisfying in its own right, and provides an excellent introduction for students wanting to take the subject further. I entirely approve of this.

During my time at the school, Wednesday afternoon was established as a time for games and activities. As someone who has zero sporting interest or ability, I always saw that as a waste of my skills, and eventually came to a compromise where I provided a space for supervising off-games pupils and used the time for a chemistry clinic for A-Level students needing a little extra support. is joint author (with Ray Oliver) of Longman Chemistry for CXC (published Jan 2004). The second edition is called Longman Chemistry for CSEC. Both editions were adapted by Ray Oliver from my GCSE book.

The physical properties of the chlorides of the elements from sodium to sulphur, their structure and bonding, and their reactions with water. My aim has been to make sure that nothing I say (or even imply) in the book will have to be 'unlearnt' if a student goes on to A level or its equivalent. The gap between GCSE and A level in chemistry is often seen as huge, but it doesn't need to be. There are a number of simplifications which are often made at GCSE which can cause students major problems if they persist into A level - and they are all avoidable with care. This book shouldn't leave any residual problems of that sort. If you are working in another system, GCSE in the UK is an exam taken at the end of a (usually) two year course at the age of 16. Anyone taking a similar introductory chemistry course may find the book helpful. At one stage our excellent lab technician, Pete Seymour (still a lab technician at Truro School), decided he was bored with his white lab coat and tie-dyed it a sort of green-blue colour (I hesitate here, because my wife and I rarely agree on where something is on the spectrum around turquoise). Consequently, I chose to have one tie-dyed quite a strong pink.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment