276°
Posted 20 hours ago

ADHD: A Hunter in a Farmer's World

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. The traits associated with ADHD (hyperfocus, multi-tasking, high levels of energy, out-of-the-box thinking) helped me thrive as an entrepreneur.

In writing the book, she was dismayed to learn that children with inattentive ADHD continue to be under-diagnosed and adults with inattentive ADHD often are incorrectly diagnosed with depression or anxiety. After feeling pretty torn up and unworthy and downright confused about my place in the world, this book helped me reframe my diagnosis in a way that made me love the way my mind works while simultaneously understanding that my type of mind isn’t in fact a burden, but indeed integral to society. Wish it had more in-text references, perhaps it's the academic in me, but at times it's hard to tell what's theory and what's been proven. I didn’t really feel like I learned anything from reading this book, though maybe for someone who had a negative mindset towards ADHD might find this a useful guide to understanding ADHD. Reading/listening to this as a 42yr old in the process of being diagnosed with ADHD was mind blowing.New biofeedback technology has become available that is affordable and can be effective in the process of learning to concentrate. The money from pharmaceutical companies continues to suggest that ADHD is a failure of genetics or neurochemistry, but by learning that you have a gene of the Hunter and that it was an advantage to the Hunter, you may become open to a positive side of ADHD. Very nice follow-up to his previous work on hunter in a farmer's world and multiple intelligences multiple learning styles. But we’re also the ones who see solutions where others see only problems, who never give up without a fight, and who bring color to the world we touch. However, the author does not give teachers or caregivers credit in how they go about treating hunter children.

Personally, I also didn't like the narration at all, and found the narrator, quote unquote, annoying. In considering ADHD in an evolutionary context, Thom was the first to point out the survival advantages of ADHD in hunter-gatherer societies and also the first to identify the link between ADHD and creativity. A helpful reminder that, with so many neurodivergent people in the world, this clearly isn't a problem, but a reality, and building a world that allows for everyone's perspectives and ways of learning to fit into it makes more sense than doing things just one way. Am rating a 4 because the Kindle version included things like "For Preview Only" for what I am assuming are minor editorial changes to the new edition.

A key component of the hypothesis is that the proposed " hyperfocus" aspect of ADHD is a benefit under appropriate circumstances. Hunters must be easily distractible, constantly scanning their environment, and unafraid of taking risks. Hartmann then provides fifteen stories of individuals with ADHD, stories that are very revealing in opening the reader to a greater sensitivity in recognizing ADHD. While the Farmer’s consciousness is very task focused, the Hunter’s consciousness may be considered open or diffused.

But if ADHD is a genetic disease or an abnormality, it’s a popular one, possibly afflicting as many as 25 million individuals in the United States. One disadvantage that I found especially interesting is that its long term use affects brain chemistry so that when going off Ritalin other problems surface. If so, Ritalin may do little to aid learning, but the child’s disruptive behavior in the classroom also limits learning. I was fortunate enough to have enough IQ points and the interpersonal skills to minimize any adverse consequences before I was diagnosed.They can throw an incredible burst of energy into the hunt, so much so that they often injure themselves or exceed “normal” capabilities, without realizing it until later. He then goes on to describe the related characteristics, strategies for overcoming or embracing them and gives us some perspective on very successful historical figures who took advantage of ADHD to thrive. Learning to concentrate can be very difficult for the Hunter without consistent feedback, feedback that can be available in the classroom from the teacher.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment