276°
Posted 20 hours ago

GORE WEAR C5 Thermo GloveS

£30.385£60.77Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Chain reaction Cycles and CRC are trading names of Wiggle Ltd (In Administration) registered in the United Kingdom at 1000 Lakeside, Suite 310, Third Floor N E Wing, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EN, This option from Gore Wear stands out as a tough option that should continue to look great for a long time. No pull tab makes them a little bit harder to get on but the edge of the cuff is finished in a way that stands up to pulling against. The only mistake I think Gore has made is leaving off touchscreen functionality. Tech Specs: Gore Wear C5 Gore-Tex Thermo Bike Gloves There is more to a glove design than wet weather performance though. Leaving that piece behind, the Gore C5 Gore-Tex Thermo gloves perform well in cold weather. Expect them to be comfortable for a day of riding anywhere from freezing, or a little below, all the way up to around 45F/7C. The challenge is that this is a highly competitive part of the market and there are a lot of options vying for attention here. The Sportful Sottozero gloves, POC Thermal gloves, Assos Ultraz winter gloves, Castelli Espresso GT gloves are all very similar. They all perform about the same and it ends up being about the small details. How to choose the best winter gloves for your riding Match your gloves to your typical riding conditions As they’re a full Gore-Tex fabric they actually keep water out for a decent amount of time, even in the heaviest rain, and the adjustable cuff reduces draughts and sleeve leak. They breathe really well and dry relatively fast from inside out too, and they stay far more comfortable for longer than any other ‘waterproof’ glove we’ve used.

When the temperatures take a dip, a full finger glove designed for cyclists are ideal. You may even want to keep a pair of heavy mountaineering gloves around the house if you like to bike in extreme temperatures. All full Gore-Tex fabrics are covered by Gore’s 'Guaranteed to keep you dry' program under which it claims: Gore Wear is fundamentally a science and fabric performance company with a massive multi-industry portfolio which its bike gear is only a tiny, tiny part of. That’s why its text and presentation tends to have a similarly sciencey feel, but it’s easy to decipher without a doctorate. Gore Wear cycling clothing range explained When I test gloves, I have certain expectations. I expect that my hands will get wet eventually and so initially I felt like that was the same situation here. It's not helped by the fact that I was testing these near freezing and when it's raining hard, everything is wet. When the gloves get wet your hands get cold but does your skin actually get wet? With the Gore-Tex membrane sitting below the insulation and outer shell, those layers will soak through. That leaves you with a soaking wet glove that is also, technically speaking, completely waterproof. The promise is that your hand will stay dry, not that the glove will stay dry.

The warmest five-finger glove that Gore has in its lineup, but is it warm enough for your riding?

The inner lining of the gloves uses a polyester fleece material. You'll recognize it from almost every glove on the market and there's nothing unique here. Outside of that layer is where you'll find the Gore-Tex membrane. The membrane uses an expanded PTFE (commonly called Teflon) layer with millions of tiny pores. The pores allow water vapour to exit but are too small to let in liquid water. The third layer is polyester insulation. Like the liner, it's similar to other gloves on the market. Primaloft is more common but the C5 Gore-Tex Thermo glove does a similar job without the need for any third-party branding. The Gore guarantee to keep you dry no matter what is at odds with any glove I've ever tested. It's even at odds with my experience with these particular gloves after testing them. I dug deep to figure out what was happening and what I found was a technicality that satisfies both sides. The C5 Gore-Tex Thermo gloves fall into a class of gloves that's perfect for a lot of people. The lightweight insulation keeps them sleek, they fit incredibly well and there's tons of dexterity retained. Expect ideal temperatures to range from 5C/41F down as low as 0C/32F. A bit of rain won't be an issue but don't depend on them for more than a couple of hours in sustained heavy rain.

Gore gives a number and letter code to every garment to show primary function and performance level.Gore-Tex obviously has a very strong household brand name and it protects that with a very specific language. Here are translations of the keywords you need to know when navigating the range. Most cyclists do well to keep a variety of cycling gloves on hand. When the weather is warm, gloves without the fingers will provide more breathability without overheating your hands. You still need protection in the summer, spring, and early autumn. That’s where the super-thin Shakedry cap comes in, keeping water off your head and out of your eyes, yet staying remarkably sweat free if the weather improves. Plus it’s so thin you don’t have to pull out your helmet pads or perch your lid on top of your head like the Pope. Who is Gore Wear? However, if you're of the more shapely persuasion and want something that performs extremely well without cutting off your circulation, this is an ideal option for you. The fit is true to size, with sensible arm widths and a perfect length for full splash coverage at the rear.

Whether you're serious about improving your speed, pedaling further, or just having fun on the weekends, GOREWEAR has the bicycle gloves you need. There are many reasons you should invest in a pair of high-quality gloves designed just for the needs of cyclists: The Gore promise is that your hands, in this case, do not get wet. I have no reason to doubt that but it might not really matter. If you take your hand out of a glove in the pouring rain, it will get wet. Also, when your glove is retaining water in temperatures near freezing, your hands will feel colder than is comfortable. There's still likely some advantage to the Gore approach in emergency situations. Just be aware, if you are using these in a ride that involves sustained rain you will still want to change them after an hour or two even if they are technically waterproof. You won't find a pull tab but the finished edge of the cuff is strong enough that you shouldn't need one (Image credit: Josh Ross) Performance By combining fabrics Gore has made a pair of tights that feel too light and thin to fend off the elements remarkably well. In fact, they’re so light it took us a while to actually try the C7 Partials when they arrived last winter and when we did, it was only for a short loop with a guaranteed warm up at the end. Turns out the thin Windstopper fabric that runs from mid-shin, up the front of the legs and around the seat and sides is very effective at fighting off wetness and windchill. There’s enough stretch in the material and clever enough multi-panel shaping that they don’t tug over the knees or shuffle down if you’re in and out of the saddle either.

Fingerless Bike Gloves vs. Full-Finger Glove

Wet conditions will also leave you colder, so most gloves will have a waterproof membrane and/or DWR surface coating to help keep your hands drier. Materials

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment