276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lighthouse Witches: The perfect new haunting gothic thriller you won’t be able to put down

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Eventually though, I was able to settle into it and really enjoyed my time reading this story. There are some genuinely creepy moments and some quite interesting supernatural twists. Me: Ah well then I have just the thing! May I suggest The Lighthouse Witches? C.J. Cooke has concocted a spellbinding novel that bubbles over with gothic atmosphere, thriller vibes and the perfect amount of supernatural elements. Thank you so much to the publisher, Berkley Books, for providing me with a copy to read and review.

The audiobook's four narrators, Eva Feiler, Lesley Harcourt, Jess Nesling, and Joshua Manning, did a remarkable job of voicing and bring this story to life. This is a prime example of how an audiobook elevates the enjoyment of a book for the reader/listener. A taut, scary thriller that winds the suspense so tightly you can barely breathe. I was rooting for the heroine all the way to the terrifying conclusion. This one will definitely keep you up at night.”—Simone St. James, New York Times bestselling author of The Sun Down MotelLiv is a single mum of three girls, Sapphire, Luna and Clover, she’s finding it tough financially, so when she’s commissioned to paint a mural in a 100 year old decommissioned lighthouse on a remote Scottish island, she doesn’t hesitate. The move comes after The Picture Company and Studiocanal reupped their multi-year deal to make a number of films per year. Part of the deal sees the two companies move into TV – they are already working on a series adaptation of the Johnnie To action thriller Drug War, with Jett’s Sebastian Gutierrez attached. The grimoire’s story was my favourite, though it was the most horrifying at times. The idiotic thinking behind the witch hunts were written very well. But the children aren’t the only secret the island keeps. Their caretaker is the charming and enigmatic Arthur Parnassus, who will do anything to keep his wards safe. As Arthur and Linus grow closer, long-held secrets are exposed, and Linus must make a choice: destroy a home or watch the world burn. stars from me to this engrossing story. (It might have been 3.75 had I read the book. The bonus is for the narrators.)

So much has gone wrong for mother of three, Liv. She's run away to a remote Scottish island where she has a commission to paint a mural in an old lighthouse. The old house where she and her daughters will be staying is old, dark, and damp and the lighthouse is full of dank water and bats and is falling to pieces. The mural Liv is commissioned to paint is a line drawing of symbols and the person who commissioned the mural is somewhere on the sea. Little did Liv know that she would end up losing seven year old Clover and fifteen year old Saffy, and attempting the unthinkable with nine year old Luna. Twenty Two years later, Luna gets a call that her younger sister has been found but when she arrives to reconnect with her-Clover is still seven years old-how can this be? Could she be a wildling (fairy that takes on human form with one touch of a child)? You must be careful not to take hands with your other self -(wildling) If you do-the two of you will become one …The Lighthouse Witches is a totally engrossing fast-paced thriller that explores the deeper meaning behind ancient folklore and history. This is not your typical witch tale, as it is multi-layered and transcends time and generations. The story is told in multiple timelines, ultimately catching up to the present day. I’ll admit, I felt better once she’d done that, and yet I usually wouldn’t have given heed to such things. Fear, combined with a touch of desperation, makes you much more open to buying into otherwise crazy practices (p. 177). Overall, I truly enjoyed going on this journey into another land filled with myths, folklore, and superstition. C.J. Cooke has now won me over as a fan, as this book topped the scales! Me: It nearly is. My only slight hesitation is that a major part of the storyline comes a bit too close to the Netflix series “Dark.” Maybe it’s true what they say that there aren’t any wholly original ideas anymore. But no matter. Buy the book for your shelves (the UK cover is gorgeous!) or listen to the fantastic multi-narrator 10-hour audiobook. Either way, you’ll love it. When single mother Liv is commissioned to paint a mural in a 100-year-old lighthouse on a remote Scottish island, it's an opportunity to start over with her three daughters--Luna, Sapphire, and Clover. When two of her daughters go missing, she's frantic. She learns that the cave beneath the lighthouse was once a prison for women accused of witchcraft. The locals warn her about wildlings, supernatural beings who mimic human children, created by witches for revenge. Liv is told wildlings are dangerous and must be killed.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment