Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

New to Magento

New members, introduce yourselves here...

New to Magento

Postby TheKing » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:01 am

Hi,

We've moved over from Actinic which is looking very out of date now, while Magento is pretty cool by default.

Here's our first effort that we banged up over a weekend, we'd welcome any comments:

http://www.dymo-labels.eu/

Thanks,

The King.
ps. You might want to create a new section to discuss things like hosting, as a common subject is going to be about 'please recomend a good uk host' and 'whos the best UK host' etc etc... None of the current sections seems appropriate at the moment.
TheKing

Re: New to Magento

Postby seanprice » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:14 am

Hi King *all hail*

Couple of quick things about your magento site I do agree out of the box it is pretty good if your looking to deal with UK customers primarily i would change things like CART -> Basket as its too americanized otherwise this is something i regularly hear from my clients when building them ecommerce stores.

The site is fairly clean, have you taken any steps to optimizing the sites performance?

Also I would recommend (if you are serious about your newsletter on your site) do not use the built in newsletter feature of Magento it just isnt up to scratch really. I would use a third party system for that there are plenty about not to mention the system my company runs for our clients - but using third party will be worth it in the long run.

Sean
seanprice

Postby edmondscommerce » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:18 am

The first thing, and one that a lot of people seem to forget, is to change your favicon from the standard magento one.

the favicon is displayed in the address bar and is used for bookmarks etc.

re newsletter - I agree

PHPList is great or you can also integrate with something like Mail Chimp quite easily
edmondscommerce

Postby TheKing » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 am

hmmm, that's odd. didn't get any notifications of replies. just happened to come back to make another post.

Not to bothered about the newsletter to be honest, and don't suppose too many people will actually subscribe to it anyway.

I have the UK add-on but when I get time I'll have a look through and see if I can change it to basket. Not done anything with regards to optimisation at this time, wouldn't know where to start...
TheKing

Postby joseph » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:41 am

Re the newsletter, yes its always something you can sort out later on if you do start to build up a sizeable list.

Re the email notification, you need to tick the box in the options 'Notify me when a reply is posted'

I think you can default it in your user control panel if you want...
joseph

Postby fromm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Anyway don't underrate newsletter. If one day you look for solution you can try this one
Magento Extensions,Themes and Customization Store

aheadWorks Co. Everything about Magento
fromm

Return to Welcome to the Unofficial Magento Forum