276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A German Christmas: Festive Tales From Berlin to Bavaria (Vintage Christmas Tales, 2)

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Goethe took great interest in the literatures of England, France, Italy, classical Greece, Persia, and Arabia and originated the concept of Weltliteratur ("world literature"). Despite his major, virtually immeasurable influence on German philosophy especially on the generation of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel and Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph von Schelling, he expressly and decidedly refrained from practicing philosophy in the rarefied sense. ON CHRISTMAS EVE Helene Stökl- 1883 A lonely lady in search of some comfort from the past. Favorite, the best. However, there are some production choices which confused me, taking me out of the reading experience, and thus preventing me from giving this a 5/5 star review. I was very confused as to why works from Austria and Switzerland are included in this "A Very German Christmas" collection, so an explanation or confirmation that these had originally been published in the German language would have helped. I defer judgement to Austrian and Swiss readers as to whether presenting their country's works in this way is offensive or not.

greeting, but please give them to her for me. Anatol—Dear lady—you’re so kind. Gabrielle—You promise me? Anatol—With pleasure, why not? Gabrielle—So tell her... Anatol—Yes? Gabrielle—So tell her: “These flowers, my ... sweet girl, are sent to you by a woman, who can love just as well as you, but who didn’t have the courage...” never amounted to much. I’ve made some big mistakes, let me tell you.” He lectured his nephew with sober insistence, while Hanno looked up at him in curiosity. But then, after a pause, during which his bony, gaunt face brightened again as he examined the theater, he suddenly brought one of the figures forward on the stage and, in a hollow, croaking vibrato, began to sing, “Oh, what horrible offenses!” And then he pushed the harmonium stool over in front of the stage, sat down, and began putting on an opera, singing With this key figure of German literature, the movement of Weimar classicism in the late 18th and early 19th centuries coincided with Enlightenment, sentimentality (Empfindsamkeit), Sturm und Drang, and Romanticism. The author of the scientific text Theory of Colours, he influenced Darwin with his focus on plant morphology. He also long served as the privy councilor ("Geheimrat") of the duchy of Weimar.

Select a format:

Christmas Eve (Peter Rosegger) - 5 stars (wonderful, wonderful, wonderful - best in the book, worth alone the price I paid for it)

the others came and I was with none of them, they had all gone down into the forest and through the valley and up the other side to the high road, and in all directions. Even my mother had gone with them, and everywhere, all the time, had called out my name. Later, when the servants were all sitting at the evening meal, Moss-Maggie was with them at table. During the morning service she had been out in the churchyard, cowering on her husband’s grave; and after High Mass my father went and found her there and brought her with him to our house. They could get nothing out of her about the event of the night, save In the Outer Suburbs (Stamm) - 2 stars (not much to do with Christmas - or Germany for that matter - it takes place in Manhattan) Then Friedrichshain park appeared before us and we fell silent. The blue spruce that Father had his eye on stood in the middle of a round flower bed of roses covered in straw. It was a good meter and a half tall and a model of regular growth. As the earth was frozen only just under the surface it didn’t take long at all before Father had exposed the roots. Then we carefully tipped the

Retailers:

nose wrinkled up, his face drawn and anxious. “You see, as usual I have to stop,” he said. “The same old punishment. I can never have a little fun without paying for it. It’s not a pain, really, it’s an ache, a vague ache, because all these nerves here are too short. They’re all simply too short.” But his relatives took his complaints no more seriously than his jokes and said little or nothing in reply. They casually drifted away again. Christian sat staring mutely at the theater for a while, blinking Eine fröhliche Weihnachten -- A Merry Christmas -- made all the more joyful with these literary treats redolent of candle-lit trees, St. Nikolaus, gingerbread, roast goose and red cabbage, tinsel and stollen cakes, accompanied by plenty of schnapps.

the dog howled by the hour together, so that my grandmother, herself very worn and weary by then, said, “You mark my words; there’ll soon be somebody dying in our neighborhood now, when the dog howls like that! God comfort the poor soul!” And a little while after that Moss-Maggie fell ill, and when winter came she died. In her last moments she held both my father and mother by the hand and uttered the words, “May God requite you a thousand and a thousandfold, Finally, I have no idea why the works are organized in the sequence in which they are presented in this collection. While works span publication dates from 1806 to 1999, they are not presented chronologically but rather bounce all over the timeline. Similarly, we do not move geographically from country to country, but rather the Swiss and Austrian works are wedged in among their German counterparts. The poems are sprinkled throughout, so perhaps there was some thought to varying the length of the works throughout the collection, but who knows; there's no Editor's Note to explain the collection's presentation. Christmas with the Buddenbrooks - 3.75 stars (charming - hustle & bustle of Christmas Day from child's point of view ) CHRISTMAS IN COCHINCHINA Joseph Roth- remembering past and not being able to relive the joy. 1929 Good This is not my first foray into New Vessel Press' popular "Very Christmas" series, for I have read and enjoyed "A Very Russian Christmas" and "A Very Italian Christmas". So perhaps I was primed to like this edition, or perhaps I came in with high expectations; either way, I was not disappointed.CHRISTMAS EVE Peter Rosegger-A remembrance of a Christmas Eve when a young boy lost on a path after midnight mass and rescued by a mad widowed old lady. 1877, a favorite!! Loved it! did you?” he suddenly said. “Now, why was that? Where did you get that idea? Have you ever been to the theater?—Oh, you saw Fidelio, did you? Yes, they did it well. And now you want to stage it yourself, is that it? Put on your own operas? It impressed you that much, did it? Well, listen to me, boy, let me give you some advice. Don’t spend your time thinking too much about such things—theater and all that. It won’t get you anywhere—trust your uncle. I’ve always been too interested in the stage myself, and I’ve Now and then relatives came over to little Johann, and laying an arm on his shoulder and stroking his sailor-suit collar, they would examine his presents and admire them with the ironic exaggeration adults typically show for the treasures of I quite enjoyed reading this collection of short stories and poems as part of this year's Christmas season celebration. I was familiar with The Brothers Grimm and E.T.A. Hoffmann contributions, and was also introduced to many other good authors. Some stories are just silly, like "Every Year Once Again--The Client Gift", while others are quite heart-wrenching, like "The Separation". Peter Rosegger's "Christmas Eve" is one of my favorites for how it envelopes readers in the spirit of the season, has some action set in the wintery wilderness, and concludes with a nuanced moral message (also features a very good dog). In this collection, classic works by the Brothers Grimm and Thomas Mann intertwine with more recent stories from writers like Peter Stamm and Martin Suter to bring together the greatest festive tales from Austria, Switzerland and Germany. From a child lost in a snowy, pine-scented forest meeting an unlikely saviour to old lovers reuniting during a last-minute dash across the city for presents, each story creates magical moments of reflection and rediscovery.

A continuation of the very popular Very Christmas series conveying a festive spirit from the place where many Christmas traditions were invented. A delightful and unpredictable collection redolent of candle-lit trees, St. Nikolaus, gingerbread, the Christkindl, roast goose and red cabbage, Gugelhopf and stollen cakes, accompanied by plenty of schnapps.

A master of poetry, drama, and the novel, German writer and scientist Johann Wolfgang von Goethe spent 50 years on his two-part dramatic poem Faust, published in 1808 and 1832, also conducted scientific research in various fields, notably botany, and held several governmental positions.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment