276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Surrender Theory: Poems

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The title - and very first - poem, which is the one I had read and loved before I read the collection, stands out head and shoulders above the rest. A few others that I really enjoyed include 'Pareidolia', 'Nesting Doll' and 'After', and while I understand that grief does different things to us all, most of the poems about it were my least favourite of the bunch. Unfortunately, Caitlin Conlon's 'The Surrender Theory' was more of the latter than anything else to me.

I received an advanced reader copy of this poetry collection from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Shout out to Central Avenue Publishing and Caitlin Conlon. Mental illness: It is also believed we will be playing as someone dealing with mental health issues. It’s because of all of you that I’m allowed opportunities to work with companies like Aura—I don’t take that lightly, and thank all of you for being here.

Recommended For You

As I write this, The Surrender Theory is three months away from being two years old. But really, thinking about when I first started writing the poems that would end up in the book, it’s actually around six years old. I’ve lived with those poems for so long. They have climbed with me into bed on countless occasions, and lingered in my body like earworms. I have spoken them aloud in different countries and within classrooms, to crowds of many and crowds of few. The Surrender Theory is my creature, and it’s hard not to look at it with a bit of exhaustion. As if to say, it’s still just the two of us? Inspiration: Based on the sneak peek in Choices Insiders August 2021, players theorize this book will pay homage to Fifty Shades of Grey. PB confirmed this in a blogpost on November 22, 2021. I wasn’t always like this. When I was younger I tried to reread the Harry Potter series every summer, though could usually only get through Goblet of Fire (which was fine by me, because that was my favorite). I read the Twilight series through at least three times as a teenager. Looking For Alaska is another book that I deemed worthy of a reread, along with Richard Siken’s Crush more recently .

Book Genre: Autobiography, Biography, Business, ers, Memoir, Nonfiction, Personal Development, Philosophy, Psychology, Self Help, sers, SpiritualityTrilogy: Many players theorize that the story will be a trilogy. If that's the case, they also believe that the third book might revolve around the preparations and the wedding between the Attorney and us, similar to the third books of several romantic drama trilogies. This is debunked as PB announced that Book 2 is the final book. Furthermore, the role of the government goes beyond providing essential services and resources; it must also safeguard the country’s future. This implies that the government should take proactive measures to prevent activities that may be harmful to citizens or the country’s environment in the long run. Dom/Sub/Switch: Given that we've been showing our dominant side and we are taught by Attorney how to become a dominatrix in Book 2, some players believe that we will eventually have to choose whether we want to permanently be a dom, a sub, or a switch. This is confirmed when we are given the choice what to be once and for all near the end of Chapter 19. VIP Book: Many players believe this will be an Early Access book. PB confirmed this in a blogpost on August 23, 2021. I’m struggling right now with making time for my poetry. I’m working a full-time job that I cannot afford to take significant time off of. I get home from my day-long shift and ideally need to lay down, wordless, for at least an hour to recharge after being social all day. Usually I’m so tired that the most poetry-adjacent task I can do is work on my book journal, or handwrite a few Patreon postcards. Mostly, my poetry work is pushed to weekends or to the Wednesday night work hour(s) I do via Zoom with my best friends. The process has been so much slower this time around, and I can’t help but fear becoming irrelevant in the process.

The Social Contract Theory suggests that the government’s primary responsibility is to work for the common good of its citizens. This means that the government must strive to provide services and resources that enable citizens to thrive, even if it means implementing policies that may not receive widespread support from every section of the society. I found out while doing a bit of research for this newsletter that Mary Shelley dedicated Frankenstein to her father, which is something I could probably write a whole separate essay about. To write a story about rejecting your creation, and then dedicate it to your father…that’s absolutely delicious. Young girls are the bravest people I know. Nowadays I don’t know what to do with my hands. I write. I say your name over and over until it isn’t a word. I sit outside and weep into the daisies until memory becomes less of a burden and more of a fact.”I’m watching Shrinking, as part of my plan to work through the Jason Segel cinematic universe. I’m really enjoying it so far. While growing up, I never really understood poetry. The odd structure and the abstract metaphors left me confused. The dramatic tone and intense imagery felt forced and unrealistic. Irritated, I wondered why poets couldn't express their thoughts and emotions more clearly so that I could better follow them. Length of Book 2: Given that Book 1 had 19 chapters and 18 chapters of Book 2 have been revealed, with a "Chapter 19 Coming Soon", the length of Book 2 could be 19 chapters as well, ensuring that it's the same length as Book 1 (and that the final chapter of the book is playable as the MC, just like in Book 1), in which case the book would end on May 3, 2023. This is confirmed when PB announced that Chapter 19 is not only the last chapter, but also the series finale. Speed Dating in the Twenty-First Century, or a List of Things You Should Know About Me That Require a Level of Urgency

Thank you for reading this week’s edition of “Dancing With The Marginalia,” my newsletter where I talk about the words that move me. If you enjoy my work, please consider sharing it with others so that I can reach as many folks as possible!Institutions such as constitutions, laws, and elections play a crucial role in ensuring a government’s legitimacy. Elections provide citizens with an opportunity to hold the government accountable by voting out leaders who fail to meet citizens’ expectations. Constitutions and laws, on the other hand, provide a framework of rules that the government must follow. The social contract is a bilateral agreement I don't think all the pieces in this collection are equally strong. There were some that didn't keep my attention, making it feel a bit long. I also didn't find the use of repetition powerful in every poem. Some just came across as distracting to me. I noted "The Red Room" as one example. The color red is so striking that it paints the whole poem right away. At times I thought pieces were overexplained, one example being "Linguistics." I think the end lines identify a feeling of desperation that is already evident throughout the poem. CAITLIN CONLON [she/her] is a poet and avid reader based out of Upstate New York. She is a graduate of the University at Buffalo, where she received a BA in English and a Creative Writing Certificate. While there, she was the recipient of the "Friends of the University Libraries Undergraduate Poetry Prize" and the "Arthur Axlerod Memorial Prize" for Poetry. Caitlin has previously been published via Olney Magazine, Anti-Heroin Chic, and Rust + Moth, among others. She enjoys plants, astrology, the color yellow, libraries, & the sound of violins. You can find her nearly anywhere at @cgcpoems. The principle of mutual obligations also suggests that any breach of the social contract by either the government or citizens undermines the agreement’s legitimacy. A breach of the social contract by the government, such as implementing policies that violate citizens’ rights, is a violation of the contract, and citizens have the right to protest and seek change. Simultaneously, a breach of the social contract by citizens, such as violent protests, is also a violation that undermines the legitimacy of the social contract. The state must provide for the welfare of the people THE SURRENDER THEORY is a stunning debut and beautiful exploration of grief, of love, of loss, of growth and of everything in between. Caitlin Conlon is a true gift.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment