276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Charles: The Heart of a King

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have been your Prince in peace, so will I be in war; neither will I bid you go and fight, but come and let us fight the battle of the Lord. The enemy perhaps may challenge my sex for that I am a woman, so may I likewise charge their mould for that they are but men, whose breath is in their nostrils, and if God do not charge England with the sins of England, little do I fear their force… Si deus nobiscum quis contra nos? (if God is with us, who can be against us?)” Personally, I struggled to read this novel. After reading the selections about the first two wives, I set the book down and it glared at me for nearly two weeks. I legitimately could not read anything else knowing I agreed to review the book honestly, which I refused to do until I finished the novel, but I had no desire to finish (see my predicament?). Eventually, I did push through and finish the novel. I enjoyed the conflicts present in the last two wives better than the first, but not enough to say that I love the book. Solomon woos several of his wives with the same poems and sayings, including calling each of them "my dove" and a passage describing Solomon holding and kissing intimately them prior to marriage, resulting in a sexual rise from the lady, only to say "we must wait until love awakens"as he walks away. The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, so that we may follow all the words of this law.

The Heart of a King - Walk Thru The Bible The Heart of a King - Walk Thru The Bible

Solomon is a whiny crown prince and comes off as incredibly selfish throughout the book, although the selfishness does lessen toward the end. The speech has become inextricably linked with Elizabeth’s reign, which is often called the ‘Golden Age’ of English power and confidence. Elizabeth’s reign was the settling of the earliest English colonies in America, the establishment of the first London theatres, the early works of William Shakespeare and John Donne, and much else.

Walkthrough Chapter 10 – The Heart of a King

Elizabeth calls upon God in the speech and asserts confidence in her own faith and the salvation of herself and her people, thereby placing Spain and the Pope as the ones in the wrong, calling them "tyrants" and "enemies" of both Elizabeth and England. Let's start with what I liked about this book. First, we see that Soloman had struggles with trusting in God. He had started worshiping wisdom instead of the One who gave him it. It makes him seem more human instead of this 'wise guy from the Old Testament' that is taught in Sunday school. When Solomon becomes king, you can feel the honor and blessings that are bestowed upon him. His first wife has given him a child but will that keep his eyes from wandering? I loved getting a better insight into each of King Solomon’s wives. Each one played an important part in his legacy. The words he spoke to them was poetic and filled with love. The risks he took in having many wives was a heavy price. As you read the book, take note of each wife and how they impacted King Solomon as he made decisions, betrayed people and grew to know the gift of wisdom was the one gift God had given him. Did he use it wisely? Hi-Elixir –Head to the south of the train and you will find this item before going inside the train’s bar.

The Heart of a King [Final Fantasy Walkthrough Chapter 10 – The Heart of a King [Final Fantasy

Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people? … The Heart of a King is a compilation of short stories about four of the wives of King Solomon. I was apprehensive from the start as this book seemed to fit into my preconceived notions of what I would be reading. My other difficulty was the fact that Solomon spoke love poetry (essentially, passages from Song of Songs) to each of these women when he wooed them, and yet he didn’t seem to love any of them with the depth his words implied. At times it even felt as though he knew he was doing lip service rather than giving expression to his heart. I’m not sure I can quite put into words how that made me feel about Song of Songs—perhaps disillusioned?—but it wasn’t a feeling I welcomed. Her characters, once again, are chiseled beautifully. Full of depth and emotion. Every emotion they felt became mine while I read this. I fell in love with Solomon and didn’t want his story to end. The love he had for our God, the love he had for his wives, was beautifully portrayed in the words of Smith’s writing. What an incredible speech. However, the speech recorded in 1612 by William Leigh, in his sermon “Quene Elizabeth, Paraleld in Her Princely Vertues”, where he describes Elizabeth appearing before her troops “with God in her heart, and a commanding staff in her hand”, may be more accurate. Here it is:

This story was easy and fun to read. I love biblical fiction books and I really enjoyed reading this. I felt like I got to know King Solomon and his wives better, although it is fiction-it makes the bible seem more alive to me. Come on now, my companions at arms, and fellow soldiers, in the field, now for the Lord, for your Queen, and for the Kingdom. For what are these proud Philistines, that they should revile the host of the living God?

Chapter 10 - The Heart of a King - Final Fantasy - GameFAQs Chapter 10 - The Heart of a King - Final Fantasy - GameFAQs

I liked reading about his relationships but I totally understood how Naamah and Nicaula both felt-that they wanted the love of one man and didn't want to share him. What a complicated time! There are no reliable eye-witness accounts of what Elizabeth was wearing that day, but tradition places her on a warhorse, wearing a gown of white velvet and a silver cuirass (queer-ASS), and holding a silver truncheon in her hand. In her article, “The Myth of Elizabeth at Tilbury”, Susan Fry points out that an analogy is being drawn between Elizabeth I and Britomart, the armed heroine of Edmund Spenser’s “The Faerie Queene”, the virgin Knight of Chastity and Virtue. I can't wait to see what Jill Eileen Smith writes next. I do know that it will be excellent. I highly recommend this one.Naamah was the first wife. She has loved Solomon since she was 10. At 15 she became his betrothed and at 16 they married. Naamah was in love with Solomon and their love was the most realistic for me since they had known each other for some time. I enjoyed Naamah up until there was talk about other wives. She had this false hope of being his only wife and she didn't handle it well. She did bare him two children in the story -- a son and a daughter. Her role as the first wife was done really well. She was the most whiny of the four wives. If, as is to be hoped, the Guardian is successful in exhuming his letters to ministers, we may shortly enjoy some further, not necessarily encouraging, insights into Charles’s interior life. It is regrettable, though all too characteristic, that neither Charles nor his advisers recognised the arrival on his planet of a journalist as shrewd, respected and notably well-disposed as Mayer, as a divinely ordained opportunity for him to say, in somewhat more detail than Shakespeare’s Henry V, “Presume not that I am the thing I was.” The Heart of a King is a fascinating look at what it might have been like to be one of Solomon's wives. Beginning with Naamah, the mother of Rehoboam, and ending with the Queen of Sheba, each women's thoughts and motivations are examined. Although I cannot say I agree with all of the author’s creative licenses, I believe she did a masterful job of weaving a fascinating story of “what might have been” in the life of the wisest man who ever lived.

the heart and stomach of a king” August 9 – Elizabeth I: “I have the heart and stomach of a king”

I know already, for your forwardness you have deserved rewards and crowns; and We do assure you in the word of a prince, they shall be duly paid you. In the mean time, my lieutenant general shall be in my stead, than whom never prince commanded a more noble or worthy subject; not doubting but by your obedience to my general, by your concord in the camp, and your valour in the field, we shall shortly have a famous victory over those enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people.”

🍪 Privacy & Transparency

Biblical fiction, when written well, is one of my favorite genres. The Heart of a King definitely delivered and I enjoyed almost every moment of it. I will definitely be looking for more books from Jill Eileen Smith in the future. When she isn’t writing, she loves to spend time with her family and friends, read stories that take her away, ride her bike to the park, snag date nights with her hubby, try out new restaurants, or play with her lovable, “helpful” cat Tiger. Jill lives with her family in southeast Michigan. Some of the author's interpretations of different Bible verses and accounts didn't sit well with me. For instance, I don't believe David and Bathsheba would have been so happy with Solomon marrying Naamah, a foreigner (especially to the point where they were encouraging the marriage). Use italics (lyric) and bold (lyric) to distinguish between different vocalists in the same song part

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment