276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sofia Khan is Not Obliged: A heartwarming romantic comedy

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But pretty much from the get go, I knew I wasn't going to like this one NEARLY as much as I liked the first one. A lot of the plot revolves around poor communication, which annoyed the shit out of me. JUST USE YOUR WOOOOOOOOORDS OMG. This applies not only between Sofia and her new husband, but between her and her mother, her and various other family members, her and a colleague, her and one of her husband's colleagues. I just..........uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. USE. YOUR. WORDS. When Imran offers to leave home and marry Sofia, she agrees. She reasons that she likes him and her father will be happy she’s settled. . Big Realizations Even when humanitarian crises don't dominate headlines, Khan stays with the cause. She refuses to treat the pain of one refugee group as more or less deserving of her attention than another. As a 20-something Desi Muslim woman, I hear the 'M' word no less than 5 times a day. Seriously, every day. Everyone from your interfering relatives/neighbors to well-meaning friends tend to ask you when you are getting married. You dodge one bullet and turn around the corner only to fall into the clutches of another Rishta aunt!

In the end, it doesn't come down to the fact that Sofia doesn't forgive Conall for lying and for leaving her to be with his son, Eamonn. It comes down to happiness. If Eamonn and his mother lived in London, there's not a doubt in my mind that she and Conall could have worked through things. But he didn't, he lived in Ireland, and Conall needed to right the wrongs of his past and be there for his son. And Sofia's choice came down to going with Conall to Ireland, or staying in London to be a part of something important, something that she loved and was passionate about. There was sacrifice to either choice. And sometimes, love just isn't enough. Because she does love Conall. And yes there's compromise, but when do you stop compromising and put your happiness first? I think she's learnt from her mother, how her marriage wasn't really a happy one, and now she's finally found a chance at real happiness. Sure, Sofia isn't choosing between two men, she's choosing between the man she's in love with, and a chance to actually make a real difference with co-founding a new publishing house, but when there's a chance at a fulfilled and happy life, even though it will be hard to be without Conall, and a life in Ireland where she will be unhappy... why should she sacrifice what will make her happiest in the long run? And there's no question that Conall should - must - go to Ireland and be with his son, Sofia isn't asking him to stay. Armed with nothing but a spankin' new shaadi.com profile (for research, of course), Sofia throws herself hijab first into the Muslim blind dating scene.What follows is a heartwarming, authentic tale of a young Muslim woman in a race against time as she attempts to finish her book and maybe, just maybe find love. Part of Sofia’s attraction to Conall is that he is good-looking. A few times, she sees Conall wearing minimal clothing, and her conservative approach to dating as a Muslim does not protect her from being attracted to what she sees. However, he’s not someone she would date because he does not share her religion. Love and Marriage This fictional diary of the dating travails of one righteous romantic is snort-diet-Coke-out-of-your-nostrils funny and will resonate with any woman who’s looking for love' – RED MAGAZINE And I also did not appreciate her extreme awareness of Sakib when she was still married and heartbroken. That didn’t seem like the behaviour of someone who was heartbroken.

Other neurology and neurosurgery services

So here's the thing. I really REALLY loved Sofia Khan Is Not Obliged. Sped through it. Loved the characters. Laughed a lot. Was super excited to read this one. The central conflict in this novel was frustrating, because every character I fell in love with in the first book continued to make completely out of character choices and NO ONE USES THEIR WORDS. Throw in some unnecessarily new characters as potential romantic interests and I was done. The constant conversations about whether a certain character was becoming a “fundo” were relentless and irritating, since it made no sense. So much of this book, for that matter, made no sense. The plot twist around Sofia's husband ALSO involved a lot of shitty communication and Not Using Your Words, and GAH. Just stop.

But at the same time WHAT WAS HAPPENING?? ON MY GOD??????? I WAS YELLING AT CONNALL AND HIS BEHAVIOURS RUNNING AWAY AGAIN AND NOT TELLING SOFIA ABOUT HIS CHILD AND THE!! ENDING!!! DID THEY ACTUALLY GOT DIVORCED?? JESUS CHRIST I was yelling all the time to be honest because there's SO MUCH DRAMA and I was SO WORRIED ALL THE TIME??? I was worried about Sofia and Connall and his parents and her mother and her friends and the irish kid and EVERYTHING. Poor communication was the main villain here and it drove me insane. Just. Please. Talk with each other. Tell them stuff. Stop making me suffer.There's a different feel to the characters, which might be due to it being a second volume, or maybe it's a result of new circumstances. It's easy to be annoyed at characters not communicating with each other properly, but let's be real, this happens all the time IRL. About the book, Amy says: ‘it’s probably one of the most well-known recent publications by a British Muslim genre writer. The novel – and its sequel The Other Half of Happiness (2017) – blend genre motifs with themes of Islamophobia and cultural integration: the ending may not be what you expect…’. Again, I hate to be negative, especially because I really enjoyed the previous book in this series, but I was just quite disappointed, and I am not sure I would rush to return to this series when the next book is published. In fact, everything about this novel challenges expectations. Any preconceptions a Western reader might have of Muslim women as “other” – oppressed, unfulfilled and leading lives impossible to relate to – are immediately dismissed. Sofia and her friends are all women making active choices about how they want to live their lives. And I was really glad for it - honestly - but I don't understand why being faced with the reality that marriage is not just about fairy tale idealism led to divorce! It confused me that Sofia's mom was so insistent on the idea that Conall and Sofia need to work on their marriage because marriage is hard work, but by the end of the book it's as if that advice was never espoused at all. Nobody takes it on board. It felt to me like there was zero effort made by either Sofia OR Conall to make their marriage work. Which perhaps speaks to why they shouldn't be married - but I also just didn't understand either of their motivations. Why did Sofia divorce Conall to work at Avaaz,

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment