276°
Posted 20 hours ago

OVEREMOTIONAL: your new queer YA obsession!

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Honestly I want to give the story the benefit of the doubt, so I may attempt to read the entire book at a later date as I am very attached to the rest of the story and characters, but this is just such a tiring trope and I really hope it doesn't develop into anything more. We follow Steven struggling to come to terms with his new abilities and running away to Grunsby on Sea.

Overemotional by David Fenne (9781785304729/Paperback

This is because whenever he has strong emotions about anything, strange things begin to happen around him. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to come across this book from this young author and once again to convince myself that the imagination of young people is truly unique. So without warning, I got confronted with a guy whose age was later confirmed to be over 80 years old sexually assaulting the 17-year-old main character. There were some plot twists that seemed to come out of nowhere and instead of being pleasantly surprised, I was left a bit confused as to what I was reading. Originally from a small village in coastal Dorset, he went to London in 2012 for drama school (studying American Theatre Arts at Rose Bruford College).

Luckily he meets someone who says they can help him control the powers, but when he’s a cute guy will this become complicated?

OVEREMOTIONAL: your new queer YA obsession! eBook : Fenne

But they aren’t the only ones looking for him, it seems someone else knows about his powers and they don’t look friendly, they look like they’d want to preform experiments on him. I received a sample of this book through NetGalley so my review only reflects the first hundred pages. The long-awaited second instalment in Samantha Shannon's Sunday Times and New York Times-bestselling series Tunuva Melim is a sister of the Priory.As Steven and Freya investigate who or what is looking for him, a chance encounter with a stranger with similar powers to his who offers to help could be the answer to Steven's predicament.

OVEREMOTIONAL by David Fenne (Paperback) – Queer Lit OVEREMOTIONAL by David Fenne (Paperback) – Queer Lit

Overall, Overemotional was a force to be reckoned with, a wild ride of friendship, escapades to survive and always being true to yourself. Little did he know that his best friend (who has no idea about the emotion thing) was going to follow him, and stage an intervention to get him home (another friend Troy and her very reluctant, jealous boyfriend in tow). Steven the main character and his three friends (as depicted on the book cover) and reports from an agent of a secret organization. With perhaps the most jaw-droppingly startling and OMG-prompting back cover blurb you’ll read this year, Overemotional is a sure-fire summer term secondary school library hit.The addition of the small cheat sheet for understanding Steven's emotions and their connection to certain superpowers was quite helpful while reading.

July 2023 book club picks | The School Reading List

The format of the book is innovative too, as we have chats, dialogues through telephone, and police reports, and I’m excited to see what else could the book bring us.

I did like the action-packed sequences that the book had which injected a palpable energy into the story, heightening the overall reading experience. This book had a brilliant start – some great characters to get to know, it slowed down around chapter 3 and 4, but then it became unputadownable around chapter 8 – and I literally read the second half of the book in an afternoon. Steven, being scared of his emotions and superpowers that are causing drama because of said emotions, headed to the god-forgotten town, that suddenly everyone knows how to get to, as his best friend follows him, her boyfriend and friend are following her, and some semi-professional agents in suits are following all of them to the middle-of-nowhere-by-the-sea town. Yet people will relate to Steven, as someone deep thinking and desperately trying to work out who they are on different levels. This seamless transition continues throughout the middle section of the book, ensuring that us readers remain fully engrossed in the story.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment