276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Gyproc Plasterboard Patches various sizes 12 Pack (2 x 50mm, 5 x 100mm & 5 x 150mm))

£12.495£24.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Now you need to measure and cut two noggins (horizontal wood that bridges the gap between the studs). Use a bit of 2 x 4 inch – approximately 100mm x 50mm – timber to create the noggins. Nail or screw them into position, between the studs, from the sides. This will create an area to fix your new plasterboard patch to. Once dry, you can gently rub down the plaster or filler, and then paint the repaired area to match the surrounding wall. How to Fill Large Holes in Plasterboard Caulk can’t really be sanded down so you need to get it as smooth as possible. For any larger holes you are much better served by a more suitable filler. How Do You Fill Screw Holes In Plasterboard? But instead, I use my trusty (super flexible) squeegee or skimming spreader and sweep it over the area in a couple of directions and this creates a beautifully smooth surface which reduces the amount of sanding you have to do (a winner in my book!)

For more advice, see our online guides or leaflets ‘How To Plaster a Wall’ and ‘How To Prepare Walls & Ceilings for Decorating’

Aftercare

For both options, once the bonding coat has dried it's time to apply the finishing skim. This can be applied over the bonding coat, the existing plaster and the plasterboard. The reason that plaster mostly fails in the corners and around the recesses of windows is due to two main reasons: Wait for the bonding coat to set overnight. When you return the next day, use the wide scraper to gently chip off any protruding bits that'll get in the way when skimming. Now you will need a piece of plasterboard to fill the hole. Ideally this needs to be thinner than the current plasterboard. Measure and cut to fill the hole. Fix in place against the noggins with plasterboard screws or nails. The first thing to do is to cut out a rectangle around the hole using a steel rule and a Stanley knife. Alternatively, mark out with a pencil and ruler and cut out with a jab saw.

To repair a hole in a hollow door, wall, or ceiling, firstly trim the edges of the hole and make is square. Ironically, you actually have to make the hole larger before you can go about fixing it! Locate the joists each side of the hole with a stud detector. Next draw a line along each joist, half-way across its width, with a straightedge and pencil. Then join them up to mark a square or rectangle around the damaged area. Step 1 Another complication that springs to light when you have unfortunately made a hole in a plasterboard wall or hollow door is the void behind it due to the construction of the stud work used to hold the plasterboard up or provide the framework for the door meaning that you can’t just use filler as there is nothing to bond it to. You may be doing the same, or you may just be skimming over little bits, leaving most of your existing plaster exposed. Either way, I have covered how to skim coat in another post. Here's a link to it which will open in a new tab for you. For me, when I was sorting out both bedrooms, I skim the lot, over the old plaster too. This is because I wanted to make sure I had a flat surface throughout and I'd already had a bit of practice at skim coating.In both cases, you'll need to skim over the undercoat plaster or the plasterboard to achieve a smooth finish, smooth enough to paint onto.

Remove any items or objects from the wall so nothing protrudes out from the wall & make sure your wall is clean and dry. So I'm guessing it's loose, echos slightly when you tap it, with a little bit of movement. Then, when you remove the wall paper you see something like this: Top tip: Apply the layers in different directions each time in sweeping motions and use the magic (ok, it’s not magic, but it is brilliant!) squeegee to get the smoothest finish.Spread a small blob over the hole and wait for it to dry. Once dry, get a 180-220 grit sandpaper and rub down until smooth and blended with the current surface. How do You Fix a Hole in Plasterboard on the Ceiling? Why is it that the plaster in the corners of windows always fails? Well, I'll tell you about that in a jiffy. For now, let's get it sorted. If you're not confident with plastering large areas, plasterboard will achieve a flat surface with which to skim over.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment