276°
Posted 20 hours ago

iBasso DC06 Portable DAC

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Both dongle DACs use the same materials in shell construct and offer the same basic color schemes but the DC04 is a fatter dongle and looks to be twice the size of the DC05.

full PCM decoding up to 32bit / 384kHz and an advanced 32-bit oversampled multi-bit modulator with mismatch shaping technology iBasso DC06 vs Shanling UA2 (119 USD vs 85 USD) – We have a tight competition here because UA2 is Shanling’s best portable DAC/AMP designed to date. The overall presentation is similar in terms of control and distortion, both being quite good, but DC06 has better actual driving power and better impact. The midrange is more organic and smoother than UA2, which can sound digital with some glare in comparison. The bass has better impact and depth on DC06. Both make good options, but DC06 is a bit better than UA2 as a portable DAC/AMP if you want a more dynamic and forward sound. I actually feel this DACs power output rating is underrated because I was able to push the HIFIMAN Sundara very well and basically every can I threw at it. I would not use the DC05 to power the hardest-to-drive headphones out there but most will work fine with ample volume. Pairings Bilateral frequency extension is very good. In fact, the specifications state that the low end reaches 20Hz but I was able to audibly take this dongle DAC down to 16Hz which is better than iBasso’s own listed specification. The high frequencies are listed at 40K max and I don’t doubt that since the shimmer and sparkle on the top end is quite energetic. Again, from afar, you could easily mistake the DAC for an USB-Key, or a hardware crypto-wallet, like the new Ledger, Especially with the two control-volume buttons, sitting on the side. Build QualityFounded in Shenzhen, China, more than ten years ago, iBasso has been producing DAPs, DACs and IEMs for audiophiles. And over time, they’ve become one of the most acclaimed brands for those seeking budget-friendly, but high-performance gear. As for the source, I kept my MacBook and iPhone, combined with the ddHiFi TC28i , to use the USB-C cable solely. For the files, I mainly used Apple Music and Spotify, as I ended up using the DC06 almost exclusively in the train, or at the office. Overall signature The virtual sound stage is quite spacious, it harmoniously and proportionately builds both in width and in depth. Sound sources are accurately placed in space.

The latter is, and remains, one of my favorite portable DAC/AMP thanks to its small size, nice design, and excellent performance-to-price ratio. But, a year later, the market has become a lot fiercer, with competitors from established brands like FiiO or Hidizs, and newcomers like ddHiFi. Such a capable tiny device simply cannot but be liked. It is cute, comfortable, compact and, most importantly, for its size has a "mature", neutral, balanced and clean sound.The treble of DC06 is clean, sharp and vibrant. The treble extension is super good, and it can easily reach 16-18kHz if your headphones and music can too. DC06 is good at revealing micro details, and although it costs just 119 USD, it has the resolution and detail comparable with most midrange DAPs. It will be interesting to see how iBasso’s new DX170 fares against DC06. IBasso is one of my favorite brands, which I have not hidden since the days of the good old DX160. From the very beginning I have been observing and admiring the DC series, having models such as DC01,02,03,04,05 in my collection and finally the culmination of iBasso's hard work, the DC06 model. Let's look at some technical issues first. Following the steps of the DC03, the Pro version features the same musical, balanced and natural sound signature while it significantly raises the bar when it comes to technicalities. One major upgrade over the DC03 is the openness of the soundstage which is now more extended in the horizontal axis with added layers of depth and a more holographic relief.

The DC06 seems to run on anything, iOS along with Windows and Android. It even ran off my Samsung Chromebook. High frequencies do not irritate the ear with excessive harshness, they are transmitted smoothly, very accurately, cleanly and legibly, in a neutral manner. Not too many, not too few, just as many as you need. There is no roughness in them, everything is served smoothly and very comfortable. What is interesting is the output rating of 140mW at 16Ω and 93mW at 32Ω which is rather high for a dongle DAC of this size and caliber. Output impedance is listed at 0.5 ohms and the output voltage is at 2v at a 300Ω load and 1.73v at a 32Ω load.The DC06 is transparent, broadly extended, crystal clear and detailed, as should be expected from a modern dual ESS DAC, while it sounds quite musical and engaging without being artificial or boring.

DC03PRO(69UD) VS DC06(119USD) At the beginning, I would like to point out that the DC06 is a product of a different category, in my opinion it is better, but also more expensive. We pay extra for more power, additional balance output and native MQA decoding. However, if we have a limited budget and are looking for a slightly darker sound, the cirrus DC03PRO will be a good choice. The DC06 is brighter, more resolving and faster in transmission, while the DC03PRO is denser and a bit more balanced. The DC06 feels at home with all kinds of music while it offers plenty of harmonic saturation and colorful overtones to sound convincing and realistic with classical music.A separate USB 2.0 receiver is used so the DC06 is compatible with most operating systems without the need to install drivers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment