276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Identity Crisis

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A term used to describe the wide spectrum of human sexuality. The Rainbow has long been used by the gay movement, but is not exclusive to gay people. Feminist who wrote The Female Eunuch. In her later career she came under fire for critisising transgender identity. Someone who intends to stir trouble, usually on social media, and relies upon their anonymity to escape reproach in their everyday lives

A conflation of feminist and Nazi, used as a pejorative against feminist perceived to be too radical.

Biologically Male Gender Fluid Gay Person'. Elton uses this tag in his novel, although I couldn't find the exact acronym online, suggesting he coined it for satirical purposes. I've included some of the terms that appear in Elton's Identity Crisis that relate to identity culture in this table below. The list is not exhaustive and my definitions extremely basic, so anyone interested in the subject should look elsewhere for more comprehensive discussions of these issues. But my little glossary does give a sense of the breadth of issues covered by the novel. #MeToo Movements like #MeToo have challenged patriarchal entitlement, usually characterised as an amoral or immoral abuse of women by men by using their social or professional power to manipulate them. It also just describes a failure to understand that women also have choices, and are not merely there for the benefit of men Comfortable in skin. The term denotes a person whose gendered identity matches their biological sex. Obviously I'm not going to give away the plot even though it's predictable in places, and I won't get bogged down in discussing specific characters for fear of ruining it. Simply, I enjoyed the reading and it's a well thought out book. the story structure is typically Ben Elton and the cynical(?) and o#well observed story is clearly based on the state of our modern fast moving world...

Actually, Mike, gotta say, I don’t really use the word “victim”,’ Kate said, ‘particularly when describing a woman who’s suffered as assault. It disempowers her and diminishes her humanity.’ I found this book to be remarkably contemporary in a way very few authors even attempt. Ben Elton navigates the convolutions of modern society quite adeptly. I applaud Ben Elton for his sincerity, wit and insight into contemporary society and am flabbergasted that the twisting plot remained solid and intact the whole way through to a satisfying conclusion.The plot not only includes contemporary technology but actually leverages it! Crime fiction at large is appallingly guilty of avoiding modern technology which might otherwise be 'plot breakers' but this book not only embraces it but manages to make it key to the whole story in a way that feels authentic. But my insight, the one I had but didn’t express, was that although we live in an era of instant communication, the world Elton describes is one in which we are no more accurately informed than the French citizens who overthrew a king. Greer was once on the right side of history and like her fictional counterpart, Giffard, could not have foreseen the ground shifting beneath her feet. Many French citizens who lost their heads during the French Revolution may have been equally surprised when what started as a revolution for equality became a bloodbath at the foot of the guillotine. In Elton’s novel, time and again, chronicles the same process of the shifting tides of opinion, and the variable fortunes of protagonists, some horrible, some of whom are moral, well-intentioned people. Yet both can be deemed toxic and find themselves on the wrong side of history in the combative arena of social media. That was my insight. How is it possible to be so trenchant and angry when we know that history alone will judge us? If Elton’s novel is about anything it is this: the need for perspective and conversation, not abuse. a heterosexual man, usually of the city, who enjoys some pursuits traditionally attributed to women. To speak in such a way as to demean anothers from different religious, ethnic or sexual orientations

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment