276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Benriner BN-1 Japanese Handheld Mandolin Slicer with Three Interchangeable Stainless-Steel Blades-Ivory, Vegetable Fruit Cutter Peeler, Stainless Steel, Off-White

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It can definitely be scary the first time you use a mandoline slicer. For the uninitiated, many mandolines are just an extremely sharp blade housed in plastic, and you can easily cut your hand without a handguard. While Kyocera’s mandoline offers a slicing guard, it’s unfortunately too small for the job. When testing it on a radish, the slices came out messy and uneven. To get the thin, even slices that a mandoline promises, I had to ditch the handguard. I’m not a novice, and I almost got cut when using this one. Still, I’d recommend it as a starter mandoline. To help ensure you don't have any accidents, our experts say that one of the most important things is to always use the food holder or safety guard. They also note you should toss the small pieces of the produce or use a regular knife, as it's not worth slicing down to the very end and risking your safety. Make sure the ingredient and mandoline are dry and clear out the sliced product often so it doesn't cause buildup. Because all of the blade options are built-in features, the hassle and potential danger of having to change out and switch blade inserts is completely eliminated. The De Buyer Revolution Dicing Machine, which is made in France, is by far the most expensive mandoline we tested but we can’t say it’s worth the splurge.

For this reason, it is always best to hand wash any sharp objects in the kitchen – from mandoline blades to knives.Weight of the product can also play a role, and the use of heavier materials like stainless steel can feel more sturdy when in use, as opposed to lighter and flimsier plastic. A larger model may be more difficult to store, a definite downside for those short on cabinet space, though it can provide an appropriate amount of area and strength to make cutting bigger pieces of produce less cumbersome. Non-skid feet are an added element that helps to ensure staying power on the countertop. However, when I have a craving for homemade potato chips, want to indulge in an au gratin, or am making cucumber salad for a crowd, a mandoline is indispensable. The Tests

The julienne and grater blades also give good results, but we found the ribbon and spiral blades difficult to use and didn’t deliver zucchini or carrot strips worthy of throwing in a salad or a sauté pan. A mandoline is a valuable kitchen gadget that every home cook should own. Hopefully we’ve helped to alleviate some of the stress when faced with the daunting task of choosing which kind. Now you just need to summon the bravery to put it to good use!Especially as you get to the very end, your fingers must aim dangerously close to sharp edges. It’s okay to leave a bit of waste at the end – your fingers are worth it! This design also helps you slice every last bit of food. A small container sits under the mandoline to catch the slices as they fall off the blade. However, the chute is only about 2 ½ inches in diameter so you need to halve or quarter many foods before you slice them. Hi, I'm Sharon Franke and I’ve been testing and writing about kitchen equipment for decades. Before that, I worked as a professional chef in New York City restaurants for seven years. When I’m not working, I’m busy cooking for family and friends.

Having said that, perhaps this model would in fact be a better fit among the basic models recommended above. Nonetheless, for its basic function, this slicer is a standout with countless fans and dedicated users. This Japanese mandoline uses stainless steel blades and BPA-free plastic, with a large open handle for comfort and a non-skid rubber base. It has four interchangeable blades to choose from: straight edge, coarse, medium, and fine tooth. These blades are useful for wide slices, chunky cuts, long narrow, and extra-narrow julienne strips. After testing, our choice for the best mandoline is the Oxo Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer because of its fold-down legs that make it easy to store, and it has interchangeable blades that give you the option of cutting straight, wavy, or julienne. Our Testing Process With models that included specialty blades and/or settings, I julienned carrots and zucchini, waffled sweet potatoes, diced onions, and spiralized zucchini and carrots.The Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline is a handheld model featuring a single 3.5-inch diagonal blade that glides smoothly through ingredients. The small julienne blade will create small strips, and the large julienne blade is ideal for making batonnet-size cuts. The straight blade will create simple slices, and the wavy blade makes crinkle cuts.

Most mandolines come with a food holder or safety guard. This functions like a handle that clips onto the food, so you can slide your ingredients along the ramp without putting your fingers too close to the blade. However, its short ramp and light weight can make it difficult to use on larger items like big onions and peppers. When buying produce to prep with this tool, choose smaller options. This means you can’t get beautiful rounds of tomatoes or long slices of eggplant. This mandoline is better for small items like brussels sprouts or radishes that are hard to slice on a traditional mandoline. It is sometimes difficult to position foods right up against the blade, leading to uneven or irregularly shaped pieces. It also allows tougher vegetables to pass through with less force – which greatly improves its safety!Mandoline blades come in three shapes: straight, diagonal, and V-shaped. Straight blades, which are commonly associated with French-style mandolines, are the most challenging to maneuver; sliding food along these blades requires more force, so they work best for firmer fruits and vegetables. Diagonal blades, which are regularly found on Japanese-style mandolines, don’t need as much sliding pressure as straight blades, so more delicate produce can be cleanly sliced on these mandolines. If you’re seeking the maximum amount of stability and efficiency, then a V-shaped blade will deliver on both fronts. These mandolines use two diagonal blades, which allow for fast and tidy slicing of everything from tomatoes to potatoes. The stand model has legs that allow it to stand up on its own. Some users feel this is safer and sturdier than the handheld type, which is helpful when incorporating extra features like waffle cuts and juliennes. We’ve researched dozens of models to help you discern which brands to buy. But our help can only go so far – there are still some essential questions you need to ask yourself first! Most home cooks will enjoy having the Prepworks by Progressive Adjust-a-Slice Mandoline in their arsenal for the occasional time when they need to slice evenly, perhaps to put out a pretty array of tomato slices for a buffet or slice onions for French onion soup. Chef Eric Gabrynowicz advises to find a setting that you like the most and mark the setting screw with a permanent marker so you can get it right every time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment