276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Nice Girls Don't Get The Corner Office: Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers (Nice Girls Book)

£6.995£13.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Around a year ago I was wandering around Amsterdam’s American Book Centre, and “ Nice Girls Don’t Get The Corner Office” by Lois P. Frankel caught my eye. As someone who’s into personal growth, the book resonated with my interest in career development, and its provocative title did the rest. It is important for titles to reflect as much of that responsibility as possible. Not just on the area of business that you are responsible for but also the level that the title implies. Like it or not, titles give certain information, not just for yourself, but also to those in your network both inside and outside the company, and therefore, the accuracy of that title can impact the connections, relationships, conversations, and opportunities that revolve around it. To all the inspiring women out there who are doing just that by changing the game one step at a time, who are advocating for their dreams and ambitions, and who are leading by example; keep going. I had an epiphany-like moment over and over again when Frankel points out that when people shame a woman for unladylike behavior, it's not because there is such a shameful thing as unladylike behavior, it's because it's the easiest and most effective means of getting whatever it is they want out of you.

Did you know that, until 1934, an American woman would lose her citizenship if she married a man from another country? Or that, until 1977, a married West-German woman wasn’t allowed to sign her own work contract without her husband’s approval? In many Western countries, men and women weren’t equal before the law until well into the twentieth century. In fact, most American and European women weren’t even allowed to vote before the end of World War I. Stop being so patient. If you don't ask, it might not happen: promotions, etc. If told that you're being impatient, ask when a good time would be to revisit the issue. If asked to wait a long time, ask WHY such a long time is needed. I find most outdated the overall premise of the book: that women should be more like power hungry american corporate men rather than meeting in the middle. On the contrary, “nice girls” are reluctant to advocate on their own behalf, and instead, they work hard hoping that someone will notice and give them the rewards they deserve. If that’s your case, sorry to break it out to you, but that’s not how it usually goes.

The author said avoiding office politics was a mistake. For years, I have been trying to avoid the politics because I thought I was above it, and I thought it was the "right" thing to do. My mistake.

And one of my worst categories. I hate selling myself (see my review of "Do What You Love"--it's classic ISTJ behavior, apparently), but I know that I need to become much better at it, especially during a job hunt. Delivery with Standard Australia Post usually happens within 2-10 business days from time of dispatch. Please be aware that the delivery time frame may vary according to the area of delivery and due to various reasons, the delivery may take longer than the original estimated timeframe. She actually tells women it is too feminine to smile a lot. Take it from the other end, where I'm constantly told to smile, which is a microaggression in itself as women are expected to be accommodating, pleasant, peacekeeping. I understand body language being important, but telling people not to smile too much is confusing. What is too much exactly?Because we've been so conditioned to be pleasing to others, accusing a woman of behaving in an unpleasing manner is like an automatic shut off button that manipulative people use against us. Accusations and implications of this manner have no basis in reality, it's just a means of shutting us up and keeping us out. Don't be the office conscience. Obviously, if something is heinously wrong, tell someone, but you need to weigh the benefit of pointing out minor infractions against the possible consequences. Particularly within the start-up landscape, it is not unusual to hear the “we don’t worry about titles” trope. And yes, we might work on many different areas of responsibility and our scope of tasks might be broad as hell, but be a little too lax when it comes to your job title for long enough and you might end up finding yourself in a position where your title doesn’t match your scope of responsibility, along with the confusion that comes along with it. Full Book Name: Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment