276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Oh, Sister: The powerful new novel from the author of Another Life

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There are three main protagonists; Jen, Isobel, and Zelda. Whilst they all have their similarities when it comes to the religion, they are all completely separate and very well developed. They’re realistic and familiar and you want to wish them all the best on their respective journeys inside and outside the religion. Yes, they are victims, but they’re not written as victims – well, not all the time anyway. They all have their own thoughts and beliefs, things that women aren’t always allowed to voice, and I found them to be three of the strongest characters I’ve read. Isobel and Jen have spent their entire lives following the rules - of their marriages, and their religion.

Oh, Sister by Jodie Chapman publishes in the UK - Madeleine Oh, Sister by Jodie Chapman publishes in the UK - Madeleine

Se potessi vorrei rileggere questo libro di nuovo, perché quando ho girato quell'ultima pagina ero devastata.Three women, very different lives but united by their connection to an extreme religious group known as The Disciples of the Last Days who await Armageddon. As Sisters their subservience to the Brothers is a given. First of all, there’s Jen Musgrove who has undergone a personal tragedy and is subservient to husband Pete - or is she? Next, there’s Isobel Forge, a magnificently conscientious wife to Steven, her striving for perfection masks certain issues. When Steven suddenly announces he’s leaving her, what direction will her life take now? Finally Zelda, formerly Alice, a wedding photographer and there’s a big story in the name change as we are to discover. Overall, I become riveted by this book which is so beautifully written it keeps you transfixed. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I love it. This is a novel about what it is like to live inside a prison of the mind and how to break out of it - if you can. Starting with a truly traumatic event, Oh, Sister asks us to question what faith is and how far we would go for what we believe, even if it means turning against our friends and family.

Oh, Sister by Jodie Chapman - Lisa Talks About Review: Oh, Sister by Jodie Chapman - Lisa Talks About

Drawing on her own experiences, Jodie Chapman looks at a denomination of Christianity and how it treats its own when they go against the teachings of the Church. Although the specific religion is never named, readers can draw their own conclusions – although I would recommend doing further research if you’re interested. I'm going to start by saying this - this is a horror story. Not one with ghosts and full moons, but one even more terrifying because this is about the monsters that exist outside of nightmares. It is a searing statement about the dystopian hellscape that is reality for many women who live under the rule of religious fanaticism and fascism. To a lot of people, it might sound like something only from a speculative fiction story, but it's very real. There are three main protagonists; Jen, Isobel, and Zelda. Whilst they all have their similarities when it comes to theI loved it, and Jodie Chapman did it again, exactly like when she wrote Another Life and destroyed me. Victor was the most impressive of the secondary characters. I wish he had had a greater role to play. He was one of the few sane voices in the story.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment