276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hell Breaks Loose: A prequel from the Sunday Times bestselling Skulduggery Pleasant universe

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Seasons of War – War is coming. To avert catastrophe, Skulduggery and Valkyrie are sent on a secret mission that takes them away from everything they know, to a forsaken land of magic and grim, unrelenting terror. It is here that Valkyrie will have to fight the hardest — not only against the enemies who want her dead, but also against her own self-destructive impulses. It’s only by crawling through the darkness that she’ll be able to once again stand in the light… I felt like I just read an AU fanfic written by the author himself… and while it was quite trippy, I’m not entirely mad? Hella confused and a little bit disappointed but to be very honest, I’m a diehard SP fan so this review … will be way too biased. When it comes to SP, all rationality dies and so do I. Skulduggery Pleasant: Hell Breaks Loose is the prequel set three hundred years before the events of the actual book series. I am quite sad though that Dexter and Saracen's, how do we say, romantic development happened only in a "what might have been" sense of events. I am glad that all of them didn't die but since all of them but Dexter did in fact die in the end, I'm still really sad. The idea that his own friends had to jump him to stop him from sabotaging the mission. The whole thing is incredibly unfair on Skulduggery but it's hard to imagine Skulduggery risking the whole mission for his own personal gain, but he does. In book 1 China tells Valkyrie that he will do this, but this is the first time we actually get to read about it happening.

Hell Breaks Loose: Review (SPOILERS) : r/skulduggerypleasant Hell Breaks Loose: Review (SPOILERS) : r/skulduggerypleasant

Good morning/afternoon/evening, everyone. Hell Breaks Loose came out yesterday, and I am equal parts smug and ashamed to say I've read it twice already. So I thought I would break down some notable parts of it, and also provide a space for everyone to do the same. Here we go... Ravel came with him. Ghastly could tell that he had a question, his friend's face was just too honest to disguise it.I also don't really like reading about Valkyrie anymore. I think the character's grown to a point where no other magic is necessary, because hey, Valkyrie can do ALL the magic and in-universe rules don't apply to her. That takes almost all tension away, because you can guess that when in doubt, Valkyrie will just discover that she can do another awesome thing (see: time travel, healing herself, being a Sensitive...).

Hell Breaks Loose: A prequel from the Sunday Times

I fell off Skulduggery Pleasant during the second phase due to a mix of time and not vibing with the new stories, but I was attracted at the idea of a prequel focusing on Skulduggery's adventures with the Dead Men- I distinctly recall hearing about Derek Landy mentioning this would be a story years before Valkyrie entered the picture, and I thought a standalone novel would be a fun side-adventure, given how long the fanbase had been asking for a story focused on the Dead Men. At some point, Skulduggery kind of just said "we have to kill this one guy here AND in the future to make our problem go away. I know this, but you'd never understand it so I won't explain why". That lead to the big problem of "we only have one of these magic knives that can kill him but the magic knife is only magic for one cut" - for the sole reason that there wouldn't be a big problem otherwise, I guess.We learn this from the Masked Sisters, their Sensitives, and the Sanctuary Sensitives have also confirmed this. The sister that the Masked Sisterhood sent are; Sister Rapture (who Ghastly has this thing with 😏), Sister Stone (secret identity girl. More on her later), and Sister Zeal (who later changes her mind about being a Masked Sister). Anyways, we know who is the would-be murderer, and so they go about tryna stop him. A loada stuff happen, but then Mevolent opens the portal, and the murderer jumps in. And then turns powerful or something like that. Apparently it was the 'Hidden God's that was on the other side, and this dude happened to be a follower. Then Sister Zeal is pushed in, and she becomes a fanatic as well. Generally, I am left with a sense of both melancholy of things that might have been and sadness of what did happen in the end.

Hell Breaks Loose (Skulduggery Pleasant) - Bookstation Hell Breaks Loose (Skulduggery Pleasant) - Bookstation

This one definitely kept me guessing, and while my theories didn't pan out, this was still a really, really fun book to read, and has possibly added to what was set up in the Grimoire and Until The End, which could may be the start of a new Skulduggery run! When Skulduggery's family had been murdered, Ghastly had lost one of his best friends - as well as the child to whom he had served to uncle with his whole heart.was it the only thing that made me laugh today and a welcome distraction from life for a couple hours and did Skulduggery give Valkyrie his hat and did it make me realise that no matter what i say i am definitely not over this stupid book series?

Skulduggery Pleasant - Hell Breaks Loose - Goodreads

Discover the world of Skulduggery Pleasant in this prequel to the bestselling series. So many enemies, so little time . . . Past a certain point, considering the last book ended with an outright universe reset, there has to be a limit on how high the power ceiling of this setting can go; but Dragonball this isn't. Skulduggery Pleasant as a franchise feels tired; this series started as a modern urban fantasy and now it can't go ten minutes without introducing a new parallel dimension or pantheon of Gods. The stakes have been raised so high, they've fallen out of sight and become effectively meaningless. I liked the insight into the Dead Men and some of the surrounding characters (e.g. Corrival Deuce or Sagacious Tome) a lot. The plot twist, honestly, took me by surprise. I heard something was "odd" about this book beforehand, but I didn't really speculate what it could be. While a proper prequel might have been lovely, the time-travel aspect did not diminish the fun - at least not to me.Highlight of the entire story. The insight we get into this wonderful person and great character is awesome. Most readers will have loved Ghastly and been hurt deeply by his sudden and tragic death, so this story helps us get a clearer picture of him. He's just what I'd call a good person and I don't mind a good person's POV at all. A nice thing for me was that he had a boyfriend, Anselm, that was mentioned and talked about. Their relationship and how it ended just seemed so believable, so truthful. (Not to mention the fact that we love good queer representation.) Derek Landy, a master juggler of scary and funny, has done it again with a twisty mini-masterpiece' The Times

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment