276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Islands of Mercy

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For the content of the book, plot, characters, I have to say I have enjoyed the build up of the book, the progress and I like how the author decided to finish the book and where she led her characters to in the end.

I found the descriptions of all paces vivid and, together with insight into social and moral aspects, Ms Tremain managed to provide an authentic feel of the places and times. It’s the novel’s best section, rendered in prose so supple it will remind you of Tremain at her best, in novels such as The Colourand Music and Silence, and conjuring vocabulary for the experience of being imprisoned and liberated all at once.The characters are well written and you can empathize with them, the scenes from Ireland, Bath and Borneo add a plus, one day I would like to see beautiful Ireland. There she falls outrageously in love with the beautiful Julietta and becomes one of the latter’s many ‘beauties’, albeit a particularly special one.

Author of The Blue Pencil, Liberating Belsen, Two Families at War and The Summer of '39, all published by Sacristy Press. In a novel with a large cast it is perhaps inevitable that some characters engage more than others, and the Borneo episodes never quite come to life in the way that Jane’s story does.I can't really describe it but her writing made me feel some type of way and i want to feel that way again. But he is not safe: constructing a pointless road, blowing up trees as well as poisoning a river, he is an icon of the evil and insanity of early american power. Highly recommend for anyone who likes to take charge, wants to enjoy their lives without being judged or regrets. The book is set in London, Bath, Paris, Borneo and Ireland and Tremain’s descriptions of place leap off the page in vivid pictures - the colours, smells, tastes and textures in the writing could not be more real. On the other side of the world, Valentine's brother Edward, a naturalist, is exploring the fauna and flora of Borneo.

Mrs Morrissey believes that ‘the future was going to be perfumed with raspberry jam and freshly baked scones and fragrant lemon cake’. The author often has a rather jaundiced view of human motivations and behaviour, allied to a forensic eye for their weaknesses and their shabby motivations; some of the characters in the story (the men mostly) are irredeemably unpleasant. The novel begins with an undesirable marital relationship proposition the consequences of which unfold in settings that take us from Bath to London, Paris, Dublin as well as Borneo.Jane is only too aware that she is unusual and different (not only is she extraordinarily tall, but she is also attracted to women), and she is torn between a female lover and the pressure to conform to convention and marry a respectable doctor. Not to mention the power the book exude in the richness of truly courageous and powerful female characters who defy the patriaarchy, society expectations and opressions! I loved everything about it, from the characters to their different plots and the writing, chefs' kiss. An eccentric, weak with sensual adoration as he listens to the King James Scriptures reading out loud in the forest, Sir Ralph is a figure of enjoyable. Tremain – who, after all, is one of the best novelists writing today – does not quite make this mistake.

She is poor, yet she wants to be an independent female, not happy to be a servant, as well as with cash she receives from offering family heirloom, she establishes herself in the centre of Bathroom. Premium Digital includes access to our premier business column, Lex, as well as 15 curated newsletters covering key business themes with original, in-depth reporting. As far as I'm concerned, it was much more interesting to delve into the lives of the protagonists in Bath, London and Ireland, and those were in fact the sections of the novel I most enjoyed. So first of all, I listened to it on Audible, cause hearing Katie McGrath amazing voice acting out the dialogues and everything made my whole month (I might be in love honestly).The Financial Times and its journalism are subject to a self-regulation regime under the FT Editorial Code of Practice. But when she finds herself torn between a dangerous affair with a female lover and the promise of a conventional marriage to an apparently respectable doctor, her desires begin to lead her towards a future she had never imagined. Mit „Die innersten Geheimnisse der Welt“ hat Rose Tremain einen ungewöhnlichen und thematisch reizvollen Roman verfasst, der meinen Erwartungen nicht in Gänze entspricht, aber dennoch unterhalten kann. Our features are original articles from our print magazines (these will say where they were originally published) or original articles commissioned for this site.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment