276°
Posted 20 hours ago

TAMRON 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD A056SF Large Aperture Zoom Telephoto Lens for Sony E Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

£0.5£1Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The zoom ring is substantial, taking up a bit more than half the length of the barrel. It's marked at the 70, 100, 135, and 180mm positions, and moves from its shortest to longest position with slightly less than 90 degrees of rotation. Lens performance differs depending upon directions. Solid lines show performance in the sagittal (radial) direction while dotted lines indicate performance in the meridional (circumferential) direction. When sharp lenses capable of delivering uniform optical performance over the entire image field are tested, MTF charts show curves plotted in good balance. TsaiProject yes you could add more items into consideration ad infinitum, however I took a decision to limit it to key rivals in the same format (full frame mirrorless). Image stabilization: Other than the Tamron G1 the Tamron G2 now offers optical stabilization. Same with the Sony GM II. [+] This could mean a few things. Maybe "SP" is not an option for Tamron on the E-mount as part of their contract/agreement with Sony, and this caliber of lens (such as the 35-150, which also has switches and buttons) ...is the best we'll see, for now.

Lens profile: The lens comes with a lens profile for vignette-, CA- and distortion-compensation which can be controlled from the camera. Adobe’s RAW converter (as of version 12.2.1) does not recognize the profile completely: vignette is compensated as it was set in camera (but you cannot switch between off and auto in post-processing) while CA-compensation is always ON, distortion compensation always OFF. To get rid of the distortions in RAW files you need to activate the Adobe supplied lens profile. [+] The Tamron 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD is actually a pretty good macro lens, at least in manual focus mode. Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy. I was handed this lens by Tamron Australia who kindly loaned it to me for a week. The timing isn’t ideal with the current coronavirus situation in Australia… The Nikon Z5 is a staggeringly good value, with dual card slots, IBIS, and a full-size battery for about the same as the R8.Tamron has elected to not include their VC (Vibration Compensation) in this lens, choosing to rely on Sony’s IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) to save size, cost, and weight. On the other two zooms, this has been a perfectly good approach, but it falls apart a bit here. In my tests, I found that I didn’t get as good of results I’m accustomed to seeing with in-lens stabilization. Sony’s IBIS worked quite well for video, but I got only about a 20% keeper rate with handheld shots at 1/13th second at 180mm on my a7RIII (I’d expect something closer to 75-80% with lens stabilization). There’s definitely a noticeable improvement in the tests compared to having SteadyShot off, but better doesn’t equal good on most of the shots. Moving to 1/25th second definitely brings an improvement, but at a pixel level almost none of my tests were perfectly steady. The higher resolution of the a7RIV would made this even more apparent, though the SteadyShot might work marginally better in that newer camera. Under the current constraints, it is a little harder, and I’ve had to resort to birds, my kids riding on bikes and a radio-controlled car. I never thought I’d be one of those photographers chasing seagulls on the beach, but here I am. Sell the kit you’re not using to MPB. Trade in for the kit you need to create. Buy used, spend less and get more. Buy. Sell. Trade. Create. To connect your smartphone and lens, use the TAMRON Connection Cable (USB Type-C to Type-C/ Model CC-350) sold separately.

In MF mode and when set to 70mm, focusing is down to an amazing 0.27m (10.6 inches), offering a maximum magnification of 1:2, or half life-size. The result is that the edge resolution falls away, offering variable soft focus effects depending upon aperture. This effect has gone by the time we reach the standard close-focus point of 0.85m and from there onwards images are sharp from centre to edge. It does mean that there is an extra facility here for soft-focus effects more along the lines perhaps of a Lensbaby lens. This offers creative potential not available with any other lens in this zoom range.Tamron’s stabilized SP AF 70-200mm 2.8 Di VC USD G2 for about 1200 EUR/USD is a DSLR design available in Canon and Nikon mounts and can be used via converter on a Sony Alpha camera. The lens has a removable tripod-collar with an Arca-Swiss style tripod interface plus a focus limiter. It is 194mm long, weighs 1.5kg (without converter), and earned a recommendation in my Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 VC G2 review from 2017. The Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD (model A056) is a telephoto zoom designed for Sony’s Alpha mirrorless cameras and corrected for full-frame sensors. Announced in April 2020, it complements Tamron’s other zoom lenses for E-mount with a fast f2.8 focal ratio: the 17-28mm f2.8 Di III RXD and the 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD. At the minimum focus distance the lens shows a bit of a focus shift. Usually people will use this lens with working aperture, where this is absolutely meaningless. Only if you set your focus manually and then stop down afterwards this is something to be aware of. At 70mm you can see again the massive field curvature. Alternatives Above: Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM OSS coverage on Sony A7R II (FF) body at 70mm (left) and 200mm (right) Filter-thread: The Tamron G2 shares the same 67mm filter-thread with its shorter siblings the 17-28mm f2.8 Di III and 28-75mm f2.8 Di III G2 which is very convenient – and saves costs. The Sony GM II takes 77mm filters. [+]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment