276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lost Notebook: THE NUMBER ONE BESTSELLER

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Furthermore, I was saddened about how Mila treated her niece, particularly with regards to her future plans, and I think this added to my dislike of the protagonist. When events take a turn for the stranger, Mila starts to question everything she thought she knew about her family, the town, and even herself. The author paints a wonderfully descriptive portrait of the countryside in costal Brittany and I could imagine myself sitting in the café’s watching the world go by.

The summer seaside calm of Morannez in Brittany is disturbed when an elderly female traveller is found dead and sadly, things take a much darker turn. You’ll be glad you kept reading because the mysteries and multiple subplots eventually unite into a feverish type page-turner you won’t be able to set down. What I mean is that the entire story could have unfolded exactly as it did (with a slight tweak to the climax) with or without this element. A traveller dies in her caravan after helping Ani when she fell off her bike, the police think it is a suicide but something bothers Mila, an investigator.Readers will find themselves submerged and at times treading water with Mila and Ani as they unravel the mysteries. When Ani falls off her bike an old traveller woman, Gosia, takes care of her until Mila arrives but the next day Gosia is found dead. She also takes us back to Sophie and Mila growing up here as teenagers with a group known as the ‘band sauvage’ . The story is interesting and well written but a little slow in places and I couldn’t connect with the characters none of them were very likeable and left me a bit empty. When it is discovered that Gosia is linked to the Professor who is heading up the archaeological dig nearby, who also has suddenly gone missing, Mila is even more suspicious.

Juxtaposed against the darker mystery elements of the story, this works really well to create a textured story of many different layers. But the police do not believe there is anything suspicious with Gosia's death and according to the doctor, she was an old woman living on borrowed time. Her niece Anya and best friend Purvo say it’s due to The fact they archaeologists that are digging up local ancient ground have released a curse but Mila blows this off as teen-age superstition . Found the story rather slow, nothing really interesting happens until nearly half way through the story.I wanted to love this one - sounded like it would be a mystery with a side plot of suspense and romance set in Brittany, France. This is my second read by this author but I certainly did not connect with the narrative like I did previously.

The old lady had a large ‘notebook’ which disappeared, along with some items on a cork board in her caravan. It seemed rather rash and inexplicable because Mila barely knew the woman and I thought she was becoming unnecessarily involved in a stranger’s affairs. The book is well written, perfectly encapsulating that classic summer holiday nostalgia of warm, lazy days. First of all Mila lives in London, but she’s in France to take care of her stepsister Sophia‘s daughter due to the fact Sophia and her husband were lost at sea and although they found Sophia‘s body her husband was never recovered oh yes and Sophia lives as a voice in Milla’s head. I almost DNF'ed several times but what saved this book for me is that the characters and the writing itself were interesting and compelling enough to keep me going.It ends on an odd note too, with no resolution over of a possible misunderstanding/relationship issue, some aspects of the story left open ended - this may be so that the reader can draw their own conclusions, or the author possibly may be writing a sequel to this. I like the ending, it’s so plausible and comes together well and I’m really hoping there’s a follow on novel as the author has left me with my suspicion antennae twitching! AD* | A notebook full of secrets, two untimely deaths – something sinister is stirring in the perfect seaside town of Morranez. There are several cleverly intertwined mysteries that become more and more intriguing the further into the book you get as it takes you in several unexpected directions.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment