276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Magnolia Palace, The: A Novel

£12.495£24.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Mr. Rossi waited, holding a boxwood shaper in one hand and a rag in the other. Even after six years of posing, Lillian had never quite gotten used to being called by her stage name, chosen by her mother, Kitty, to protect her family’s reputation, which was a real laugh. As if they were the Astors or something. Lillian pulled the silk up over her shoulder so only one breast was exposed. The material was slippery and refused to Despite her fame as Angelica, Lillian’s career is at a standstill, and her mother, Kitty, has recently passed away. One day, upon returning home, Lillian stumbles upon the murder of her landlord’s wife, and although she had no part in it, the authorities suspect her involvement. I savor every glorious new Fiona Davis novel and The Magnolia Palace has it all--two intriguing heroines, two fabulous time periods to get swept up in, and a delicious mystery that keeps you on tenterhooks. I loved every minute of it!" - Martha Hall Kelly What do you see as the the difference between being looked at looked and being seen? When have you been looked at? How did that make you feel? When have you been seen? How did that make you feel?

I was so caught up in this Old Hollywood feel, never before thinking about sculptures revealing their own legacy of people and their past. This capture by the author is so rich in history offering a magnetic draw to the past without disrupting their true events. The research will leave you hunting for more information on this vile bunch. An absolute amazing caper through their world! There are many pleasures in Fiona Davis’s novels. . . . Davis imbues [Manhattan landmarks] with intimacy and familiarity through the deeply felt emotions of her characters. Equally intriguing are the points of intersection between generations of young women. . . . Quietly seeking the truth about themselves and the world, Davis’s heroines overcome pain and loss to reach a resolution, in the past and present.”

See a Problem?

As the snowstorm continues to rage on outside, they spend the following day pursuing their scavenger hunt while they wait for rescue. Together, they explore the dark corridors of the mansion, piecing together clues and riddles that lead them to various locations within the mansion. Despite the growing sense of danger and unease, they remain determined to uncover the truth behind the scavenger hunt. Following her encounter with the authorities in her apartment, Lillian manages to escape through the bathroom window. She makes her way down Fifth Avenue, looking for a place to lie low. As she strolls, she comes across a grand mansion with a sculpture of Angelica above the entrance, catching her eye. Suddenly, a servant appears and mistakes Lillian for a job applicant. The servant drags her inside and Lillian finds herself standing in the midst of the mansion’s grandeur. Another brilliant historical thriller from Davis, this time set in a Gilded Age mansion in New York City. You will fall in love with Lillian, the penniless young artist’s model surviving the Spanish flu of 1919; and Veronica, the young mod model of the 1960s; and Davis’s deftly written and beautifully woven feminist storytelling.”

Iconic buildings are larger-than-life characters in Fiona Davis’s novels, and The Magnolia Palace is no exception.” I dove into researching the disease just as I do for my books and learned a lot. Turns out it's caused by nerve damage in the brain that lowers dopamine levels and over time, the four major symptoms -- tremor, stiffness, slow movement and balance problems -- only get worse. However, I also discovered that everyone's journey on the Parkinson's roller coaster is different. That tremors can be controlled with medication and that high-intensity exercise appears to slow the progression. I spoke several women who'd been diagnosed at my age and ten years later were still going strong. A police officer emerged from the Watkinses' apartment, leaving the door open behind him. At first, Lillian wondered when the Watkinses had gotten such a deep-red rug, almost scarlet, before realizing it was some kind of dried liquid, not a new runner.

Ratings and reviews

Mr. Rossi studied it, confused. "I suppose. When I first set up here, I found a number of castoffs in the basement. Lukeman's studio is two floors up, so I wouldn't be surprised." Thanks to Penguin Group Dutton & NetGalley for a digital advance reader's copy. All comments and opinions are my own. #TheMagnoliaPalace #NetGalley Another policeman stepped to the door to shut it, but not before Lillian caught sight of a woman's bloody hand, the fingers gently, almost daintily, curled in. Many historical fiction authors are skilled at finding and researching hidden stories and bringing them to the fore. Take My Hand and Horse are two recent historical novels that I enjoyed immensely as I read about individuals whose stories hadn’t been lifted up, whose names were not commonly known. When have you seen a woman’s agency, her belief in herself and awareness of her rights and power, lifted up and when have you seen it squashed? How can we ensure women around the world are allowed to have agency, to ensure their voices are heard, they are at the table, they are included? When have you helped to amplify the voice of a woman and ensure her story is heard, her rights are upheld? Your True Self

Lillian, known as Angelica in the art world, was beside herself after her mother died and was running out of jobs and money. The rich think they're are protected, that they have magical powers, when in fact they're only mortals, like the rest of us......." The magic of Fiona Davis is the tenderness with which she crafts her settings, so that they bloom into characters themselves. We come to know them. We come to love them. And they help us to understand our place in time. The Magnolia Palace is a love letter to art and history. An intriguing, beautiful read." - Sarah Addison Allen Where and how do you enjoy viewing art? Is there a time of day or a season or a setting that is most conducive to your appreciation? How do the stories behind the artwork— whether that of the painter or the subject or the collector— enhance or detract from your art appreciation? How has art moved you? How do you think about private collections versus public institutions owning masterpieces? As Veronica tries to find a way out, a snowstorm suddenly hits the city, leaving her trapped inside with no power. With no means of communication, and nobody aware of her presence, Veronica is left to fend for herself in the eerie, desolate mansion.

The Magnolia Palace

Mr. Rossi dropped the tool on the table beside him with a loud clatter. "Very well." He lit a cigarette but didn't move from the spot, as if ready to begin again right away. Davis adeptly interweaves two compelling story lines to shine a light on another NYC landmark. . . . This is historical fiction at its best, with well-developed characters, detail, art history, and mystery.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment