276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Journey to Narnia in the classic children’s book by C.S. Lewis, beloved by kids and parents: Book 2 (The Chronicles of Narnia)

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The characters are just lovely as well: Peter is brave and fair, Susan is kind and humble, and Lucy is adorable and precious. Aslan, a lion, is the rightful King of Narnia and other magic countries. He sacrifices himself to save Edmund, but is resurrected in time to aid the denizens of Narnia and the Pevensie children against the White Witch and her minions. As the "son of the Emperor-Over-the-Sea" (an allusion to God the Father), Aslan is the all-powerful creator of Narnia. Lewis revealed that he wrote Aslan as a portrait, although not an allegorical portrait, of Christ. [8]

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe | BookTrust The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe | BookTrust

So Lewis' attempt to take myth and adapt it to a Christian cosmology is hardly new--there is a long and storied tradition explored throughout the Chivalric period and recognizable today in books like The Once and Future King, but Lewis doesn't do a very good job of reconciling these disparate mythologies. Narnia is caught in endless winter that has lasted a century when the children first enter. Norse tradition mythologises a "great winter", known as the Fimbulwinter, said to precede Ragnarök. The trapping of Edmund by the White Witch is reminiscent of the seduction and imprisonment of Kai by the Snow Queen in Hans Christian Andersen's novella of that name. [45] In that regard, I have to say Lewis did an excellent job boiling down Christianity into a fable, and leaving the problem of evil completely intact. Some readers suggest that Aslan lets the queen take over to teach the kids a lesson, but is it really worthwhile to let all the inhabitants of a kingdom suffer a century of misery just to teach a few kids about the true meaning of friendship?

Keep in touch

Garcia, Rose (29 March 2007). "Is Sam Concepcion the next Christian Bautista?". PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) . Retrieved 11 December 2010. I was feeling rather nostalgic this holiday season for some reason, and I thought what better way to pay homage to my childhood than by rereading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for the first time in a very long time! And, friends, I fell so in love. I actually think I’m going to make it a holiday tradition to read this book every single December for the rest of my life. One of the most significant themes seen in C. S. Lewis's The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is the theme of Christianity. [50] Various aspects of characters and events in the novel reflect biblical ideas from Christianity. The lion Aslan is one of the clearest examples, as his death is very similar to that of Jesus Christ. While many readers made this connection, Lewis denied that the themes of Christianity were intentional, saying that his writing began by picturing images of characters, and the rest just came about through the writing process. [51] While Lewis denied intentionally making the story a strictly Christian theological novel, he did admit that it could help young children accept Christianity into their lives when they were older. [52] When Mr Goodwin finished the book. I instantly went to the library so I could read it myself. I was very proud this was the first book I read "without pictures". To my joy, I discovered there were other books about Narnia and I eventually read all of them too. Evenutually I discovered other wonderful places in other books and I continue to look for them today. Four adventurous siblings—Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy Pevensie— step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia, a land frozen in eternal winter and enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change . . . and a great sacrifice.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Waterstones The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Waterstones

My greatest disappointment in 'The Screwtape Letters' was that Lewis was not able to demonstrate what made his good people good or his bad people bad. The closest he got to defining goodness was that you could tell the good people from the vague aura of light that surrounded them--and which even shone in their cat. In this book, the cat is much bigger. Lewis very much enjoyed writing The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and embarked on the sequel Prince Caspian soon after finishing the first novel. He completed the sequel by the end of 1949, less than a year after finishing the initial book. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe had few readers during 1949 and was not published until late 1950, so his initial enthusiasm did not stem from favourable reception by the public. [23] There are many shining examples of pause to let the tension play out, before a little more of the adventure is revealed. Curiously, along with wonder, it is with the realization that I read this book. It's very much Anglo Saxon in nature, yet it lends itself to translation so easily. It's a book that does not belong to any age, decade, or era. Stephen Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis" saw the second staging by invitation and returned with his wife to see it again. "[T]his approval from the family and estate of the well-loved author is enough evidence that the Trumpets adaptations is at par with other versions."The writing is so pleasant and pretty. The descriptions of the land of Narnia and its inhabitants are simply stunning, and their adventures completely hook you from start to finish.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Goodreads The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Goodreads

Although raised as a Christian, I've long been an atheist and perhaps that's partly why I'm uncomfortable with this retelling of the life of Jesus as Aslan the lion. I have no objection to Bible stories as part of our culture and heritage, but this is more underhand. Jules Tasca, Ted Drachman and Thomas Tierney collaborated on a musical adaptation published in 1986. [64] Sammons, Martha C. (1979). A Guide Through Narnia. Wheaton, Illinois: Harold Shaw Publishers. ISBN 978-0-87788-325-8. Let's all, gentle readers, abandon the sad sights of the blind leading the blind for the Real world of Narnia, once again.

BookBliss

A truly golden and classical story that has been read and loved by millions all over the world. For those that bemoan that it's just a retelling of the Christian story. Pants! It's about a little girl with a heart of gold that still sees the world as a beautiful place full of wonder and potential, who first finds Narnia and has to battle her own ego-driven brother for the truth, where their siblings don't believe the little girl, because she's a little girl! It's a timeless and wonderful story. Aslan, whose antics and decision making and beliefs are difficult to map, is the way by which the children triumph. If Alice in Wonderland was positively secular, TLTWaTW is heavily defined by the Christian mythos. Novels were not a part of my life until my mid teens and therefore I missed out wonderful reading experiences like the Chronicles of Narnia but while I wish I had read more as a child I am having an absolute ball catching up on all these enchanting books when I can appreciate them on a different level My mum read this to me when I was eight. This was a brilliant book 📖 and all the narnia books are brilliant too. Thank you c.s Lewis!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment