276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I Am Today

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After Valerie married Ed, she learned southeast Asian recipes from Ed's Indonesian mother, who taught Valerie how to prepare Bami Goreng and Ketjap Sambal. Now of course, Valerie creates her own recipes for her television show. I’m not giving this a star rating as judging someone’s personal real-life journey with stars doesn’t feel right to me). Can I say Valerie’s journey towards self-love inspired me in any way personally? Sure- I think some of her advice to herself is solid. All of us should practice self-care, but there was nothing in that way I have not heard before. Still, there's a good list of things to do that are worth being reminded of- but we all have to do the work ourselves. I liked the way the recipes are tied to specific memories, events, occasions… and they are recipes that are down to earth and sound, not only delicious, but comforting, as well. I do wish we had some recipe photos, though. This is the most unpretentious celebrity confession book I’ve ever read. When you ‘connect’ in friendship with someone, whether it’s through their writing or in person, it’s easier to take their advice and life-lessons to heart. Valerie makes it clear that she’s not preaching from a higher place, but that we’re all in this together, we’re all connected. As she says more than once, she’s literally grown up on-screen with us. This book is a biography, a self-help guide, a cookbook, and yes, if you were enthralled with Edward Van Halen too, it’s their never-ending love story, too.

Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I Am Today

Bertinelli talks a lot about the People magazine cover that showed her in a bikini at 48 and her huge deal with Jenny Craig (I think?) to represent them in their weight loss ads. As she works her way through life’s lessons, she learns more about herself and her family. Her mindset evolves from ‘food is my enemy’ to ‘food is a way to say I love you’. To be honest, I only knew of Valerie Bertinelli as Eddie Van Halen’s wife/ex wife. I didn’t even know she had a cooking show on the Food Network 😬. Somehow or another her posts started popping up on my social media feed, and I thought I’d like to follow her and read her book. I am SO glad that I did! Did I mention that I loved this book?! For me, this is more of a three star read, but I choose to bump the rating up to four stars because there were several barn-sized hints that I should have noticed before I began reading, yet blew obliviously past. First, I didn’t get the memo that Bertinelli has written diet books and cookbooks, and has won Emmy Awards for a cooking show on the Food Network. All of these things should have given me pause, because although I do like Bertinelli’s earlier work, I never watch food programs on television. If I want to learn more about food, I’ll buy a cookbook or a diet book, but I don’t need it on my TV or any other streaming devices, and I also (giant clue number two) hate mixing recipes and cooking tips into a novel or memoir.

Repair

Sadly, Valerie touches on grief as well. Over the years Valerie lost her father and mother, and in 2020 she lost her best friend Eddie Van Halen. Though Valerie and Van Halen (who she calls Ed) divorced in 2005 - after twenty-five years of marriage - they remained very close, and Valerie deeply mourns Ed's passing. I’m sorry she’s lost her parents, and the love of her life, but I am happy to see she’s in a better place mentally when it comes to her relationship with food, and her body and self-image. I hope her journey will inspire others who are struggling with these issues, to say 'Enough, Already', too! Valerie's narrative is a bit meandering and repetitive, but it shows her to be a lovely, modest, caring woman who wants to help others by sharing her experiences. I think many people would find inspiration in this book. She's a lovely woman and I'm sure she's very nice, but I didn't really get anything out of the book. Two stars for "it was okay." My next gripe with her and this book is the simple fact that she shows total disrespect to Eddie Van Halen’s wife, Janie Liszewski.

Enough Already Workplace Training - Enough Already

When I first saw this book, I presumed it was a memoir, but upon further inspection, I noticed it was also labeled as a foodie/recipe book… even more intriguing... I understand that some people will love this book--probably anxious women with low self-esteem--because they will be able to relate to Bertinelli's constant battle with her weight. But I found the book filled with too much nervous energy, constant references to food, and her always feeling bad about herself no matter how many good things happen. It is certainly not inspirational. I also noticed that the book was placed in the ‘self-help’ category, which always gets a firm ‘no’ from me, especially if it is written by a celebrity.Enough already is Irish??? I'm astounded. I've always assumed it to be a American Jewish term, given you so often here it in US TV shows, American Jews often end their sentences in 'already'. eg. Alright already, etc. TV has so much to answer for. Umm! I do! He was married to someone else! She was, too! She had her shot with him and left him and then he asked for the divorce so he could marry Janie! Then she married Tom, who she only mentions in one chapter and that was about a trip to Italy that they took and all she talked about was eating!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment