276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Others (Aziza's Secret Fairy Door, 159)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

He always likes to bring in a bit of religion and a bit of sexual deviance...so it's not for everyone! I’d like to take this time to give special thanks to our Patreon Sponsors who are at the Level 3 reward level and above! So even though I am a HUGE horror fan, this was my first James Herbert I believe. I did enjoy the way he wrote, I think he has a deft skill in providing the situation and characters in a detailed way. However he is somewhat clumsy in structure and the book was needlessly long. Saying that I did enjoy it, even if it started to take a troubling path towards the end. Herbert's latest novel begins as a rather taut political thriller/horror hybrid, but it begins to deteriorate about halfway through, becoming increasingly poorly paced and confused. The story Continue reading » British horror writer Herbert (Devil in the Dark) breaks away from supernatural and SF horror to turn out a chilling classic haunted house tale. Gabe and Eve Caleigh and their two daughters need to Continue reading »

James Herbert Books in Order (24 Book Series) James Herbert Books in Order (24 Book Series)

I felt uncomfortable with the underlying karma underpinnings to the story for although I get his point and it was not so crudely drawn as I shall now state- It was on the premise that: a man was reborn bearing the ugly nature of his personality on the outside in a second life. And so unfortunate handicaps may be construed as punishment from a previous life, something I find hard to swallow and, yes, discriminative. To be honest, the plotting and pacing of this novel was just kind of bizarre. As though Herbert knew how to end it, but didn't have much story to throw before that ending that took up a solid final quarter—if not a full third—of the end of the book. Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuthLondon in 1948 is devastated by a Nazi-created hemorrhagic plague in versatile British horror novelist Herbert's (The Ghosts of Sleath) frisky foray into splatterpunk alternative historical fiction. Continue reading » Here Dismas will discover the dark secret of the Others. And in an astonishing and spectacular finale he will resolve the enigma of his own existence . . . Having said that, with his last novel, '48, and now with this one, he seems to have been stepping out of his comfort zone and trying something a little different. And while the results are uneven, I have been enjoying the books a little more. He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his 19 novels have sold more than 42 million copies worldwide.

Others (Audio Download): James Herbert, Kris Dyer, Audible Others (Audio Download): James Herbert, Kris Dyer, Audible

This is my second novel by James Herbert, and I'm proud to say this one gave me a nightmare. Why am I proud to say this? I read a lot of Koontz and King and love a good thriller and naturally enjoy a bit of a fright! It's hard for a writer to make the reader 'jump' or 'get the creeps' and for me it's the mark of a great author and an excellent book! It certainly gets the adrenalin pumping and the mind racing into the wee hours. The best thing about the book was that I managed to finish it. But this is probably due to the fact that I veeeeery rarely put books aside. 'Others' was not a rewarding read - it was to much of a mix-up of good things and horrible things (in the literary sense). But the bad sides prevailed - to many cliches, to many mundane monologues...The religious overtures in general were a bit ham-fisted and obvious. All the characters have Biblical names or the names of virtues. Our hero is tasked with saving the lives of helpless people, flanked by... Mary and Joseph. It's a bit much. And it didn't make sense. ok. im going to be totally unfair in this review. see, i have this extra karma chip of "free unfairness" that's expiring soon, so i have to use it, like right now. because....(spoiler alert).... Overall, though, it was a reasonably good return to horror for Herbert, and I likely would have enjoyed it more if the story hadn't relied as heavily on two tropes I typically don't enjoy. None of the Other "others " --the demonic creatures survived in the fire broke out accidently, destroying the Perfect Rest secret wing completely, killing doctor Leonard Wisberch. The findings of the research , the results of these studies were shared to the other medical or scientific research units around UK, if not the world. Hundreds of malformed babies born each year, infants so badly deformed with a little chance of survival were only to be secreted away to become valuable commodities of research.

Major Film Called The Unholy – the Novel Is Shrine: Now a Major Film Called The Unholy – the Novel Is

Paper. Condition: Very Good. First Edition. An Original Third Person Letter Written and Signed by Edward James Herbert, 3rd Earl of Powis to Prime Minister W Gladstone. Dated 1844. The letter from the Earl regrets that he will not be able to attend the dinner. Edward James Herbert, 3rd Earl of Powis 1818-1891, styled Viscount Clive between 1839 and 1848, was a British peer and politician. Size of letter is 178mm x 115mm. Folding centre crease. Small loss to letter top and tear repair to rear. More images can be taken upon request. Ref17157. Signed by Author(s). They aren’t far away, Dis…Their presence is so strong, yet they’re so confused. Oh…Dis…they’re desperately afraid.’ Others came into its own for me after my husband became severely disabled. Reading it again I enjoyed even more having a hero who isn’t able bodied and a heroine who has a disability of her own to struggle with. The writer conveyed a real sympathy and an understanding of what it feels like to be (or be with) someone that people stare at in the street – although thankfully in that regard the world is changing for the better. Others ( Lost), mysterious inhabitants of a strange island in the South Pacific in the television series LostHardship and nuisance-value is no excuse for preventing life of a deformed//malformed children. They are also human beings, deserving every chance to live their life on earth. It may be difficult for them, but he or she deserves the chance to live and experience things in their own way..." This scholarly, joyously beautiful volume will serve as a definitive reference source on fauvism. A sweeping survey of fauvist color-drenched landscape painting, the study follows Henri Matisse, Continue reading »

Others by James Herbert - Publishers Weekly Others by James Herbert - Publishers Weekly

Then Dis indulges in mental gymnastics to explain that all human souls deserve to live, except the ones that are REALLY ugly and 'freak'ish and thus are evil and deserve to die. Apparently God sanctions this, along with unspeakable suffering for... reasons.

I enjoyed the book very much the first time I read it. It’s full of satisfying action and plot twists that come together seemlessly at the end, and it has a likeable but flawed narrator. This is not to say that the story is flawless; far from it. Herbert uses a distinctive style which will be off-putting to some readers : the slow-burn. The first two thirds of the book is extremely slowly paced, very much like a mundane detective investigation with the occasional burst of violence or horror. Fast on the trail of Twister is this drawn-out apocalyptic novel replete with meteorological mayhem. Shimmering lights precede a slew of natural disasters and plunge British climatologist James Continue reading »

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment