276°
Posted 20 hours ago

June: A Novel

£6.995£13.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Teltscher’s richly researched biography of this iconic structure is not just about the design and construction of this remarkable building, but also about plants, people and power in the Victorian age: “the Palm House provides a glittering prism through which to view Britain’s real and imagined place in the world.” I'm going to sum this up as simply as I can. JUNE, in my opinion, was filled with cliche after boring cliche and was ridiculously convoluted. When I did come to the end I could not help but have tears in my eyes. There were so many things that happened, so many revelations, secrets, murder... the list goes on and it made for a perfect story. But this is my opinion, you need to read it for yourself. And I leave you with one extra excerpt of the dream people.... Cassandra (Cassie) Danvers, Granddaughter-(now an orphan) a twenty-five-year old struggling artist and photographer, is going through a quarter-life crisis. Leaving New York, she has moved to an old family estate, she has inherited from her late grandmother, June.

June by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore | Goodreads

It was so popular that the number of visitors doubled in 1849 to 138,000. Access to Kew Gardens was free, though you had to be “respectably attired”. As one newspaper said of the palms it contained, “we live in a wonderful age when these gigantic children of the sun can be induced to live and flourish among us”. I am trying to think of any flaws, but I can't. I guessed at a few of the plot twists, but only narrowly before they happened, and it certainly didn't ruin my enjoyment of the story whatsoever. Cassie can be a frustrating character at times (read your mail, darn-it), but it's only because she's so well-created. Overall, this is really a beautiful, suspenseful book that brings you into its world. I highly recommend it. 4.5 stars.There are leaps of joy in Actress, for all its darkness. It sparkles with light, rapid, shrugging wit; cliches are skewered in seconds, and thespian types are affectionately set in motion to carry on chatting in the margins. Memories of tender, uncoercive love shine out between the illness and confused attachments and violence. Rich in character, culture, history, art, travel, mystery, and romance. Of course, as the norm, I tend to be more enthralled with the secret past of the two friends June (18 yrs old) and Lindie (lesbian 14 yrs. old) and all which surround them, than the present. Something sinister and dark building around them from Ohio to Hollywood.

June 2021 Book Releases (79 books) - Goodreads

To previous generations, glaciers were seemingly eternal, their scale of change measured in centuries. Now glaciers are melting within a person’s lifetime. During the 20th century Vatnajökull shrank by 10%, and it’s losing 100 cubic kilometres of ice a year. By the time Magnason’s young children have grown old, many more will have gone: “where the glacier once touched the sky, there will be only sky”. Indeed by the end of this century, “the life of almost all the glaciers outside the Arctic will end”. Iceland will be a land without ice.Currently reading Margreete’s Harbor and liking it. It is kind of off the radar, which is fine by me. Interesting family dynamics. Thanks to Crown Publishing, NetGalley and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a digital ARC of this novel in exchange for my unbiased review. Loved, love June’s character. A mix of talented artist, Bohemian, wanderlust, romantic, unselfish personality, mysterious, and a true loyal friend. Finding her own version of happiness and true love.

June Releases Books - Goodreads

As the basis of an identity narrative for the 21st century, I found this utterly compelling. I couldn’t put the book down, and at times I laughed out loud. I also cried. For more than 170 years, the Palm House has provided the ultimate spectacle at Kew, a “masterpiece of design” that forms the focal point of the gardens. This hot and humid space offers an experience that is memorable because it is so physical. It transports you instantly from west London to what Teltscher describes as “a tropical dreamscape, more vivid, more intense, more alive than the everyday world”.

Top June 2021 Book Releases

According to Teltscher, the Palm House is the finest surviving Victorian glass and iron building. Its design was largely due to the “irrepressible inventiveness” of the Dublin iron-founder, Richard Turner, though its “grand establishment architect”, Decimus Burton, received the credit. One of the earliest examples of prefabrication, the Palm House’s ironwork was forged in Dublin. It was completed in 1848, with some 16,000 panes of glass covering more than half an acre. The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner rated it more highly than even Crystal Palace as “one of the boldest pieces of 19th century functionalism in existence”.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment