276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Shady Characters – The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols, and Other Typographical Marks: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols, & Other Typographical Marks

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Two which can still be seen today are the manicule (☛) and the pilcrow (¶), while the interrobang (‽) seems to have made some headway.

Written with humour, examples, and many illustrations, this is a book for those who like typography and are keen to know the history of symbols used (now and in the past) in print materials. In doing so, they sacrifice something of the message in pursuit of their ostentatious displays of learning. This was partially because the subject matter - the origin stories of punctuation symbols, weird and common - seemed sufficient quirky and yes, so incredibly nerdy, that it seemed bound to read a little differently, even for non-fiction.This was a first reads giveaway that I will share with my teacher friends and that guy I met at last week's cocktail party--just kidding! Houston is obviously passionate about his subject and it shows through his informal and jaunty tone throughout Shady Characters. You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

Along these lines, the characters themselves, while not crossing the line into being humans in animal clothing, so to speak, strike a perfect balance between exhibiting relatable human traits while retaining their animal personas, so readers can’t mistake that this is an animal’s world rather than animals transplanted into a human world. Each chapter, which highlighted one particular symbol, was short enough to consume in one sitting, making it easy to put down and pick up the book as needed. That’s because the second reason for the Curta’s prominence is that it was designed in a Nazi concentration camp.Non-English editions Shady Characters is also available in Polish (as Ciemne typki), published by Karakter, and in Chinese complex characters (as 英語符號趣味學), published by Rye Field Publications. I love knowing the why and the where of things and Shady Characters satisfies my curiosity and piques my interest. It’s a fitting design choice for a book that takes it readers through the history of the written word. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment