276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Metronome: The 'unputdownable' BBC Two Between the Covers Book Club Pick

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The audiobook reflects Rhonda’s own journey and shares the most direct way out for those experiencing hardship and the path to end pain and suffering endured by so many, and it shines a light on a future without anxiety or fear. We are not responsible for the republishing of the content found on this blog on other Web sites or media without our permission.

In other ways, I thought it was representative of the human condition, the tyranny of a government and a set of laws around bodily autonomy and free will. Watson creating this island life in metaphor, analogy, symbolism and imagery is all the more creepy if rooted in today’s reality.

Aina is planning an escape and works out a plan to enable her to gain an extra pill to allow her to venture further on the island, as she believes Whitney has been keeping secrets from her about what is out there.

Metronome is an addictive and hugely compelling novel, I was totally enraptured by the characters and the plot.Metronome has the dystopia of Orwell clashing with the horror of Andrew Michael Hurley, but at the same time remaining original. For Arthur Dent, who has only just had his house demolished that morning, this seems already to be more than he can cope with. Me-tro-nome, the use of it in musical terms (Aina is a pianist with a mathematical brain, cunning and in control of her own life) and in timekeeping.

Not a bad debut though but if I had realised it was set in the future I wouldn’t have chosen it but that’s my mistake. No images, text and/or designs from this site may be copied or reproduced without written permission. When a stranger arrives with a daughter in tow, offering fear and hope, the stage is set for some impossible choices to be made. In his debut novel, Tom Watson seems less interested in the wider political and social reality of his world than in the mundane detail of the characters’ lives and the bleakness of the landscape they inhabit, the emotional standoff that exists between them as a result of the traumatic severing of their previous existence. Metronome might well be a brave new world created by Tom Watson, as insightful and as premonitory as Orwell’s 1984.Stylish and thoughtful … The eerie claustrophobia of the setting will stay with the reader for a long while. When Billy can’t find the informant, he wonders if Kate is secretly harboring her, since the two grew close during Kate's weeks undercover. Some of the details took a month or two to finesse, such as the pill clock that keeps them tethered to the croft, but most of the key drivers were there from the off. These won’t be for everyone, but in terms of how they both managed family and writing while juggling a host of other commitments, they both gave me real impetus. Whitney and Aina come to represent opposing views on their sentence, on the pills, where one is determined to pass this last test to be set free and the other is convinced no-one is coming to help them.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment