276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Time Traveling With a Hamster

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I'm 43 and really enjoyed this book - so I would imagine it'd go down even better with the target age group. It's a perfect introduction to the concept of time travel for kids (plus, Ross Welford also throws in some great memory-recall tips, that I'm sure a lot of children will want to explore further).

I don't think that I can put into words how amazing this book is. Reading it was like going on a roller-coaster of emotions. Don’t worry: it’s not written in dialect. It’s perfectly comprehensible as it is, with only a few hints at the accent in the text. But if you do know what the Geordie accent sounds like, you might enjoy the book even more!)What follows is how Al follows his father’s instructions to try to carry out something that seems impossible. Al’s father died four years ago when Al was only eight and so it is not easy to carry out his instructions; for example, Al has to return to his old house, which is ten miles away. For things have moved on and Al’s mother has a new man in her life. Can Al change the world – his world at least? Our hero is Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury (Al for short)– oh, and of course his hamster, Alan Shearer (like the main character of this book my son is not a great football fan, so I had to explain who that referred to. Thankfully, he knew Einstein…). On his twelfth birthday, Grandpa Byron gives Al a letter from his father. The problem is that his father has died, but according to the letter, Al can use his time machine to prevent his death. The first time had nothing to do with me. The second time definitely did, but I would never even have been there if it hadn’t been for his ‘time machine’…” Chapter Thirty-Six Chapter Thirty-Seven Chapter Thirty-Eight Chapter Thirty-Nine Chapter Forty Chapter Forty-One Chapter Forty-Two Chapter Forty-Three Chapter Forty-Four Chapter Forty-Five Chapter Forty-Six Chapter Forty-Seven Chapter Forty-Eight Chapter Forty-Nine Chapter Fifty Chapter Fifty-One Chapter Fifty-Two Chapter Fifty-Three Chapter Fifty-Four Chapter Fifty-Five Chapter Fifty-Six

Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury is celebrating his twelfth birthday with his mom, stepdad Steve, his stepsister Carly, and his grandpa Bryon. One of his presents is a hamster! Al names him Alan Shearer. Well, actually Steve suggests the name, but Al likes it. Al knows Steve is really trying to be friends, but Al can't accept it, although he is polite. His real dad died when Al was eight years old, he still misses his dad, Pie (Pythagoras). So begins an adventure which Al hopes will turn out ok. There are significant obstacles - one being he no longer lives in the house of his earlier childhood. His mom moved miles away into Steve's house when they got married. Al will have to break into his old house now occupied by new owners. The second is Al is only twelve - not a lot of money, no driver's license, watchful adults, neighborhood bullies, school attendence, supplies, etc. Of course, the biggest obstacle is getting his dad's time machine to work. It involves computer skills and following the strange directions his father explained in his letter. But most important, Al is not confident he can overcome the significant obstacles in his way. But if he can change the past! To see his dad again! Okay, color me impressed! You've heard me praise the wonders of Middle Grade fiction and its wonderful authors many a time, and yet it never fails to stun me how much goodness comes out of the books written for this age group. Ross Welford has penned a gem here. Time Traveling With A Hamster simultaneously pulls together the importance of family, the grey areas we face when making hard decisions, the beauty (and issues) associated with being passionate about something, and even owning up to ones own mistakes. I am so thrilled to have read this, and can't recommend it enough! and hear him, and he’s asking me again, “Al, are you ready to travel in time?” and I can feel his hand on my cheek. For the first time in four years, I fall asleep in my dad’s arms.Chapter Fifty-Seven Chapter Fifty-Eight Chapter Fifty-Nine Chapter Sixty Chapter Sixty-One Chapter Sixty-Two Chapter Sixty-Three Chapter Sixty-Four Chapter Sixty-Five Chapter Sixty-Six Chapter Sixty-Seven Chapter Sixty-Eight Chapter Sixty-Nine Chapter Seventy Chapter Seventy-One Chapter Seventy-Two Chapter Seventy-Three Chapter Seventy-Four Chapter Seventy-Five Chapter Seventy-Six Chapter Seventy-Seven

After university, I moved to London and became a journalist and then, after a few years, a television producer.

Keep in touch

The Costa Judges said: “A highly accomplished debut, genuinely enjoyable for both a child reading independently and an adult reading with a child.” About This Edition ISBN: And we know this doesn’t go well – for when Al fails to save his father, he alters the space-time continuum, changing everything. And then he needs to find a way to set things right. I've just finished this book and I've been left with that weird empty feeling you get when you've just experienced something amazing and know that, somehow, it's going to change you. guy stuff. Man to man, you know? Growing up, drink, drugs, girls.” Mum smiles warmly and a bit sadly, but says no more. Which suits me because I’m just sitting there thinking: Fall-out shelter. That’s where the time machine is.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment