276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Trouble With Peace: The Gripping Sunday Times Bestselling Fantasy (The Age of Madness)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In Angland, Savine throws herself into her new role as Lady Governor, and sets out to reform the outdated government of the province. Despite his attempts at secrecy, she soon learns that her husband Leo has been drawn into Lord Isher’s perilous scheme to rebel against the crown. Unwilling to risk her position by informing on him, and still harbouring ambitions to be queen, she commits all her formidable resources to the rebellion.

Lenguas afiladas, como espadas. Guerreros rudos, curtidos y fríos como el viento del norte. Mujeres fuertes. Locura frente a cordura. Vanidad, ambición, valor, lealtad, traición, manipulación, amistad, prejuicios. Caos, guerra, sangre, barro. Well-written villains, maybe. You wouldn’t believe Wetterlant in a book! How the hell does a man end up like that?” Lord and Lady Governor undertake a tour of The North seeking allies among old friends and enemies. In Uffrith, Leo finds Rikke worryingly changed from the naïve girl who was once his lover, but she agrees to join their scheme. They travel to Carleon in the hope of winning a decisive ally in Stour Nightfall, who after all owes Leo his life, but appeals to the brotherhood of arms fall on deaf ears. Unknown to her husband, Savine cuts a less sentimental deal with the King of the Northmen, betraying Rikke by offering him Uffrith for his support. I should hang a bell on you,’ muttered Clover, bending over and trying to calm his racing heart. ‘What is it?’ Aye, well.’ Clover took a long breath through his nose. ‘You’ve got to blow with the wind. Let go of the past. Dwelling on your mistakes does no one any good.’In a world where power is fragile and neighbouring lands maintain an uneasy peace, forces seek to recapture ground lost to the Union in previous battles. The fighting leader of the North, Stour Nightfall, continues his preparation and plotting to reclaim land from the Union. The conspiracies and scheming are deftly built from outside the Union lands and close to home. There is one thing for sure there is always a Trouble with Peace in this world, and the politics and its machinations will eventually succumb to the ferocity of battle and the inevitable destruction ahead. The power of Abercrombie's battle scenes is outstanding and an explicit aspect of what makes these books so enthralling and visual. The characters and their development are really what makes the author’s novels great. Orso was a wastrel in the first novel, but is forced to mature and think of others. I didn’t like his POV in the first novel as much, but I enjoyed it in this novel. Savine was probably my favorite POV in the first novel, but I did not like her in this one with what direction her POV went.

Downside watched ’em run, eyes wide and wild, spit in his beard and blood streaking his face. No one wanted to tell him stop and honestly Clover didn’t much, either. But that’s the thing about being chief. You can’t just throw your hands up at everything and say it’s someone else’s problem. What to say about this book and series? I'm beginning to run out of words to describe the excellence of these stories and this author. Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, for those who are unaware, is my second favorite fantasy series of all-time only behind Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams. But I have to say that after reading the second book in Abercrombie's follow-up series THE TROUBLE WITH PEACE, it is going to be really difficult to choose which one belongs in that #2 slot. Un inizio che si prende il suo tempo per portare avanti le linee narrative dei numerosi personaggi coinvolti, ancora una volta, trascinano il lettore nelle dinamiche politiche che affliggono il mondo dell'Unione, tra idee di ribellione e tradimenti, false speranze e desideri mancati. That's not to say that this book suffers from middle book syndrome at all. Yes there is absolutely a sense of chess pieces moving and being set up for the finale, but this book had plenty of action and intrigue to more than stand on its own as a terrifically entertaining story. In all honesty, I think I liked this book slightly more than A Little Hatred. I think part of this was the fact that the new characters and descendants of the main players from First Law have already been introduced and we are more familiar with their personalities and motivations in this one. I would highly recommend this epic fantasy and series. I would be surprised if any fantasy fans didn't get completely enthralled in the storyline and invested in fascinating and compelling characters. Abercrombie is one of the top fantasy authors today, and I am still bewildered why this hasn't been dramatised for TV or film. Maybe it's underway, and I just haven't heard about it, but if not, Why Not?I’m like a wife who’s served the same stew every night for years, and hates it more each time, but can’t cook aught else.’

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment