276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tales of the Cryptids: Mysterious Creatures That May or May Not Exist (Darby Creek Publishing)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ts'ür'i and Aghay are protectors who use language revitalization to save the Earth from bad settlers and cyborg sasquatches in this fun YA comic book about colonialism. Cole Pauls is an artist from the Tahltan First Nation. He wrote this comic in English and Southern Tutchone to help keep the ancestral language alive. City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende As a writer, I strive to create stories that I wish I had found on shelves when I was younger. In that same way, every title on this list not only brings new ways to find adventures through reading, but will hopefully leave young readers with new skills to face the world around them. We often think just cause a story has fantastical elements that it makes them detached from reality, but give any of these a read and you'll find, the farther it is from real life, the brighter the common themes we all share shine through. If you’re looking for the ultimate guide to Bigfoot, look no further. In The Legend of Bigfoot, T. S. Mart and Mel Cabre present the legendary giant ape in all his various shapes and sizes. There are so many different Bigfoot stories and legends out there from folk tales to movies, from Sasquatch to Boston Bahumagosh, Mart and Cabre have collected them all here.

Cryptid Book - Etsy UK Cryptid Book - Etsy UK

Arguably one of the best-known cryptid books of all time, The Mothman Propheciesis the definitive account of one of America’s strangest cryptid legends. From 1966 to 1967, the town of Point Pleasant, West Virginia was terrorized by sightings of a bizarre creature that appeared to be part-man part-moth. As journalist John A. Keel arrives to investigate, he begins to receive strange phone calls. Everything eventually comes to a head in December 1967, when tragedy strikes Point Pleasant, and Keel can’t help but wonder if it's all connected to the mysterious winged creature. I have been fascinated by the subject of Bigfoot ever since I was a child when my father drove through West Virginia and told me to search the woods for the elusive creature. From that point forward I wanted to spend as much time in the forest as I could. Over the years I have developed a fondness for the wild, the trees, and nature. For the past ten years, I’ve traveled around the country searching for Bigfoot in Washington, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. The searches may have been hit or miss, but more importantly, I was able to experience the wonders and beauty of the wild forest. The inspiration for the film The Dark Divide starring David Cross and Debra Messing, one of America’s most esteemed natural history writers takes to the hills in search of Bigfoot―and finds the wildness within ourselves. This book is great because it doesn’t trust give you the regular run of the mill cryptids everyone knows about Discover the fascinating and often bizarre stories of real life monsters and the scientists who strove to separate the fact from fiction.A cryptid is a creature or species whose existence is scientifically unproven. Maybe it’s been witnessed or rumored to exist, maybe it’s even been caught on video, but there is no definitive physical evidence to examine: no body to dissect, no remains to analyze. Scientists place those creatures in the category of fantasy instead of zoology. Cryptozoologists, though, who study and pursue cryptids, place them in the entirely separate category of cryptozoology. While the fantastical Mothman and the Jersey Devil may be the first cryptids you think of, a cryptid can be as comparatively mundane as a New England panther or an American lion; animals that once existed but are now believed by the scientific establishment to be extinct. Sometimes these animals are even discovered: the coelacanth, a fish thought to have gone extinct in the age of the dinosaurs, was discovered alive in 1938. A cryptid can even be an ordinary animal that is supposedly thriving where it couldn’t be, like a population of alligators in the Manhattan sewers, or freshwater octopuses. Sasquatch Seeker's Field Manual: Using Citizen Science To Uncover North America's Most Elusive Creature A great dive into cryptids across the United States! This book delves into four regions of the US (Northeast, South, Midwest, and West) and the cryptids that (supposedly) roam these lands. Broken up into short vignettes about each cryptid, this book is super easy to read and enjoy. I liked the organization here because it would be easy to read a story each day, maybe even with kids. I wish there were illustrations for all the cryptids, but I also understand the publishing constraints on that type of thing. I think any kid wishes they could save their parent, or a loved one, from suffering. I know I did. When I was a pre-teen, my mom began to withdraw from friendships, church, and community, and she took me and my siblings with her. Her moods were unstable, and sometimes I blamed myself, and other times I just tried to keep her happy. I grew up inside her fairytale, until as an adult, I could recognize the signs of mental illness. I found myself wishing there was a magical reason she was the way she was. All the books on this list are linked by the fantastical way they explore family grief, isolation, and hope. I love the way the story of Blizz attending his family reunion and thwarting George the cryptozoologist is told: illustrated spreads, whooshing panels, Indiana Jones-esque dotted line traveling interludes, etc.

Cryptids: 40 A Crochet World of Creepy Creatures and Cryptids: 40

But the biggest difference between the way America does it and what other countries do with their monsters is that we invented marketing. We are the marketers. When we find a monster, we’re not just throwing hunting parties to find it. We’re throwing parties, we’re theming balls and giveaways, and all the restaurants are putting themed meals on their menu. That’s why these festivals come around and these statutes come around, because we’re marketing this thing. That’s really the biggest difference, between how we handle our monsters and how other countries handle theirs. Everyone has seen the famous 1967 film clip of a Bigfoot—but do you know the story behind it? From sea serpents to the Loch Ness monster and modern-day dinosaur reports, Abominable Science applies science and critical thinking to the mysteries. Even better, the book includes a very useful discussion on the field of cryptozoology—the search for hidden (and possibly mythical) creatures.The unicorn and the dragon are still the two most ubiquitous animals to emerge from the host of fantastic creatures that began spreading through popular books, art, and film in the late 1970s. Years before the unicorn’s commercial popularity, Odell Shepard’s classic book, The Lore of the Unicorn, traced the millennia-long cultural transformations of the mysterious animal, beginning with an early traveler’s tale of the wild asses of India.

Cryptids for a Living - VICE What It’s Like to Hunt Cryptids for a Living - VICE

Six kids search for a new place to call home in this middle grade graphic novel debut by comic creators Cait May and Trevor Bream, for fans of Marvel's Runaways and The Witch Boy by Molly Knox Ostertag. Another Kind is not your average monster story.Mothman goes under the microscope as Jeff Wamsley continues to dig for more clues to this complex mystery.ᅠ A required investigative resource for those who are searching for answers." - John A. Keel, Author, The Mothman Prophecies. Can Hakata and Tak put aside their differences, lead the team to victory, and save the lives of their classmates? The Griffin and the Dinosaur: How Adrienne Mayor Discovered a Fascinating Link Between Myth and Science

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment