276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Airfix A50146A RMS Titanic Gift Set 1:400

£34.995£69.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There are many things in the build I know I could have done better in or rushed too much in; but after many months of work I'm just satisfied to call it done for now. Maybe I'll be able to build something closer to the real thing in the future.

This one is definitely for our confident modellers! Wet blending is a technique which allows you to create a natural gradient, by painting one colour on first and then gently layering a slightly lighter one over the top, before it completely dries. It creates a very realistic illusion of lighting on the model. This definitely requires a deft hand, lots of patience, and plenty of practice as you want the colours to blend together as seamlessly as possible. We recommend trying to wet blend some colours on your palette or another flat surface first, just to see how you get on before trying it on your model. Now about your tools, this is going to differ a little from previous articles. The most important part of setting yourself up for an advanced build (and for success), is securing the right lighting. Good lighting works fine for a Starter Kit type of build, but if you’re looking to improve on the next one, you need stellar lighting. This is to ensure that you don’t miss an important detail during the painting process, as poor lighting can lead to unfortunate mistakes which often aren’t caught until you think you’re finished. As for the type of lighting, try to avoid warm, incandescent lighting as this doesn’t show colours as accurately as a neutral, white LED lamp does.Also put the LED's together for a test. This part got very confusing. The instructions show a piece of copper that you attach a single (yes single) wire to and it acts as a switch. So I connected it all up and sure enough nothing happens. Now my basic electronics knowledge tells me a switch needs two wires in a DC circuit but there just isn't anything with the kit that allows for it. Instructions for lighting below: We also recommend a reliable chair and a good supply of paper towels to be ready for spills and any excess paint.

A fine detail brush is important for painting the majority of smaller details on a model. They are ideal to catch the bits that a larger brush can’t handle with as much grace and sophistication. They’re also essential for steady-hand techniques such as edge-highlighting. I built the 1:700 (with lights) last year and it's the only model my wife has ever wanted out on display. My sister recently saw it and asked if I'd build her one too. I then decided she could have the 1:700 and I'm now replacing it with the 1:400 for my wife (no pressure!!!!) I also built the Meng Toon version a couple of weeks ago. That only took a day and was a lot of fun though it never made the mantelpieceSo, is this the perfect Titanic kit? Nope, it’s not, it’s got its share of problems such as some overscale and oversimplified details, but it goes together well. And of course, if you want to bring it to a new level, you can always get some aftermarket accessories.

I've decided to start this one alongside my GB builds. I wasn't going to create a WIP thread but I thought it may help me keep focused. So a sigh of relief on that one and a trap for young players if anyone else gets this kit. I saw the other bloke put alfoil in his hull to improve the lighting, I'll do the same, good idea I thought. The Titanic has been attracting modelers for decades. Many different plastic scale model kits of the Titanic have been released so far. Their quality, of course, varies widely. Today we will be looking at some of the best titanic model kits available on the market. Just like any other ship model kit, there are scales to choose from. For ship modelers, or at least for those focusing on passenger liners, the most popular scales are the 1/350, 1/400, and 1/700 scales. Keep in mind, that the Titanic was a huge beast with a length of 882 feet (269 meters). In the 1/400 scale, that means you’re going to end up with a 2.2 feet (67 cm) long model. So, unless you’ve got a lot of space, it might be a wise decision to go for a smaller kit. Did I tell you there’s also a huge 1/200 scale Titanic kit? Ok, let’s cut to the chase and look at the recommended Titanic kits now. Product NameA great tip to keep in mind is something called the dry brush technique. You apply paint to a brush and then wipe as much of the paint off on a paper towel as possible. Then, you sweep the brush over certain parts of your model, usually the raised details, to apply dynamic highlights that really help a model stand out. Can you name a ship more famous than the Titanic? Probably not, right? The RMS Titanic is easily the most famous passenger liner ever built. Unfortunately, it’s so famous because it sank on its maiden voyage, causing the death of more than 1500 passengers and crew members. Two things jumped out at me - its one of those fancy touch buttons that react to skin touching them and there are some markings on the circuit board for which end goes to battery box and LED's. I of course had them the wrong way round, but it wasn't pointed out in the instructions that came with the box. As soon as I fixed that, i touched the button and presto.. instant lighting!!!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment