276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lot No. 40 Canadian Rye Whisky 70cl, 43% ABV

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The finish is relatively long for a Canadian rye whisky, with a soft rye glow that fades into more typical vanilla sweetness (there’s that new oak again). A definite improvement over the very short-lived finish of CC 100% Rye. Again, it’s not going to compete with an expressive single malt, but it is a nice (if fairly simple) finish for this class of whisky.

In our case that is a Drinks by the Dram World Whisky Advent Calendar and we’ve pulled out a delicious Canadian whisky, Lot 40 Rye Whisky . This delicious rye has something of a cult status because it offers massive amounts of flavour for the money. So much so that when the parent company tried to discontinue it in the 00s, there was outcry from Canadian whisky fans.Whenever an enthusiast-focussed bottling from one of Canada's big distillers is released and available in my area, I get uncontrollably excited. I need to have it. Immediately.

Corby (distributor) lists this, and only this, under its Lot 40 “brown spirit” brands so I’m thinking this is nothing more than just a new label. The bottle is the same and the proof is the same, but as you’ll see in the Lot 40 Canadian Rye Whisky review below the quality of whisky is definitely not the same. Whiskey Review: Lot 40 Canadian Rye Whisky It’s a great favourite of Master of Malt contributor Ian Buxton. And we don’t argue with Mr B about whisky. Lot 40 Rye is produced at Canada’s powerhouse the giant Hiram Walker distillery in Ontario which also produces the excellent J.P Wiser whiskies. That master blender Don Livermore really knows what he’s doing.

Featured Lot No. 40 products

Lot No. 40 is a Canadian rye whisky made entirely from unmalted rye grain. It is first distilled in a column still before a secondary distillation in a pot still. The standard expression is matured in new American oak, and there have been a few versions, including the famous 12yo and 11yo cask strength releases. This one was finished in port-seasoned French oak. To celebrate the holidays of 2022, a bunch of my relatives and I decided to visit Vancouver. This would be what I’d consider my first real trip to Canada, as I’ve previously been to Victoria for only a few hours about a decade ago.

Greg B mentions the original iteration used to be better. I have not had the opportunity to try it so I can’t comment on the taste, but the original did contain malted rye to supply the enzymes for starch conversion, whereas the present version uses 100% unmalted rye and use commercial enzymes for conversion. It is certainly an interesting concept, but it takes the already fairly spicy Lot 40 and amps it up to very heavy levels. I would only recommend this release if you like your rye whiskies very spicy. Personally, I prefer the regular lot 40 and the previous cask-strength releases (although it is close in quality to last year’s French-oak finished cask-strength release). To put that in context, and using my own scores (on the Meta-Critic scale), I would personally score and rank them all as follows: Because I’m already in the territory of Canada and am on the topic of rye whiskey, I thought it would be a good chance to sneak in a review of a Canadian rye called Lot 40. It also just hit me that this will be my first review of Canadian whiskey for Malt. I’m sure you know this already but the term “rye” in Canadian whisky is more of a colloquialism and doesn’t refer to any specific requirements. It comes from the term “rye-flavoured” whisky which is why we Canadians throw the term rye around quite loosely when describing the typical Canadian style of rye-flavoured blended whisky. Another note is that Canadian whiskies including all “ryes” can use any type of barrel and are not limited to used barrels, although the big distillers typically do refill the same barrels over and over again.

Lot 40 Rye Whisky Details

This cookie is set by Rubicon Project to control synchronization of user identification and exchange of user data between various ad services. By comparison, Lot 40 18 Year Old Cask Strength is the most similar to the 12 year old. Now, here are a few caveats in that statement—it is similar, but not the same. The extra years of aging have given it more of a syrupy note. It’s intensely sweet. You won’t be thinking cask strength when you have it. You’ll be thinking dessert whisky, decadence, and other such complex thoughts. The planning approval to develop Project Utama had been given by the State Exco over the first seven (7) phases consisting of 706.922 acres. Except SP Baiduri own project, SP Baduri is one of the appointed contractor and sales agent with Syarikat Perumahan Negara Berhad (SPNB). More than 1000 unit house has been built and sales to buyer.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment