276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kodak Ultramax 400 Color Negative Film (ISO 400) 35mm 24-Exposures - 2 Pack (2 Items)

£5.935£11.87Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Kodak Ultramax 400 has a very good exposure latitude that is slightly better than the 200 speed Kodak Gold and Kodak ColorPlus. By doing this, I was able to make sure the shadows were properly exposed while being confident that Kodak Ultramax 400 could handle the overexposed highlights in the sky. That’s still true, although I quite like it in the photographs here. Perhaps that’s because they kind of are travel shots, as opposed to ones taken in and around my neighbourhood. On that, Kodak themselves say that it’s a worry-free, easy-to-use high speed film designed for snapshooters and that it gives you the flexibility you need to take consistently better pictures in more picture taking situations – better low-light picture quality with fewer underexposures, better results with zoom lenses, greater flash range, better ‘stop-action’ photos, and reduced impact of camera shake.

Sure, they can do just that, but Ultramax 400 is just as capable of creating vivid photos with vibrant colors and nice saturation. Often regarded as an inadequate option, only suited for newbies, we’re here to set the record straight: we think that Kodak Ultramax 400 is a great film for both beginners and advanced film photographers alike. In most cases, a well exposed photo taken in decent lighting conditions on Ultramax shouldn’t produce much grain visible to the naked eye. Faster 400 speed film makes it much more flexible to use in a variety of situations especially compared to 200-speed film. All of this, means versatility. No matter what your subject, no matter what camera you’re using, and no matter the light, Kodak Ultramax 400 should fit your application. During the past year I’ve used it at night and by a blisteringly sunlit pool; on a foggy sail across Vineyard Sound and at a kid’s indoor birthday party. I’ve shot dogs in full gallop, and horses refusing to do so. I’ve successfully zipped it through the autofocus speed machine that is Nikon’s F4, and painstakingly ratcheted it across the film gate of an old-as-dirt Contax.For this Kodak Ultramax 400 review, I loaded up my Nikon F3 and documented my daily life throughout a couple of days. Since my schedule usually revolves around our Shih Tzu, Sushi, you’ll see a lot of photos of her 🙂 As I talked about in the Gold review, whether you like that in your work is going to be down to personal taste. I’ve heard people say, both online and in person, that they don’t. That they dislike Ultramax chiefly because of that. Again in the following side-by-side layout, the general yellowing of Ultramax’s colour profile can be seen, especially in the oar of the rowboat. The Portra image also exhibits detail, and a truer-to-life colour reproduction, particular in the red and orange tones. However, it is nonetheless worth noting these images’ remarkable similarities in terms of colour and tone when correctly exposed — with tightly controlled exposure, an analogue photographer could still produce a professionally passable result on a roll of Ultramax. Overall, the bottom line here is similar to with Kodak Gold. If you like that warm, inherently retro look to your photographs, Ultramax could be for you. For me, it’s not a bad film. This leaves us with Kodak Portra 400 , the only* remaining freshly-made, non-rebranded colour negative film that isn’t UltraMax or NC 500. However, Portras do not fit in the “general-purpose” category since Kodak markets them as “professional” films. This means higher prices and fewer chances to find some at a local drugstore (though I would argue that the new ORWO film is also relatively rare).

There seems to be a misconception that consumer grade films always produce flat, desaturated images.

Search

Kodak GC 135-24 35mm Colour Print Film lets you take your pictures to the next level. Its proprietary technology delivers the world's most convenient 400-speed film, so you can capture more of your precious moments. Whether your subjects are still or moving fast, in sunlight or dim light, GC 400 gives you great results. If you currently use 100 or 200-speed film, switching to this amazingly adaptable film will improve up to 25 percent of the pictures you take.

As with just about every other aspect of photography, the appeal of a certain type of film is completely subjective. If you can accept that warmness, I think you’ll find the colours to be pretty balanced overall. They are well-saturated, but they’re all well-saturated. There’s no single standout colour like you get with your reds when shooting Fujicolor Industrial, for example. It’s cycled through various ones down the years and they’ve likely differed from country to country too, albeit using different combinations of the same words for much of the time. That’s not me describing it as merely not bad, by the way. What I mean is some people not liking it doesn’t mean it’s objectively bad.You shouldn’t notice too much of an issue until you start shooting darker, underexposed photos; that’s when the grain really starts to become visible.

You can do a lot in Adobe Photoshop with the Colour Balance adjustment layer if you aren’t happy with the results from the scanner. Still, fixing UltraMax’ blue hour colour casts isn’t straightforward. The shadows will need to be shifted toward yellows, whereas the highlights will need to be shifted toward the blues. Finer grain for clear, sharp pictures; Great for enlargements; Improved prints from underexposed negatives

What this also means is that if you’re shooting in a high contrast scene with bright highlights and dark shadows, you’ll be able to retain more detail at both extremes. Achieve excellent results indoors without needing special lighting conditions or professional equipment If you underexpose the image too much, you risk muddling the shadows and introducing grain into the image since it has coarser grain.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment