276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Divided City

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Graham pressed himself against the door, glad of his skinny frame. The remainder of the gang came down the street, veering onto the pavement as they spotted him.

DIVIDED CITY by Theresa Breslin | Goodreads DIVIDED CITY by Theresa Breslin | Goodreads

Graham shook his head. The older boy was half out of it with drink or drugs or both. The rest of them ran on. They shouted from further down the street. Graham’s legs stopped working. He was too far from the main road. Too far to run. This gang would catch him easily. How does this work link with the range of protected characteristics that are defined by the Equality Act (2010)?At that moment noise and shouting erupted behind him, and Graham knew right away that he was in trouble. Glasgow is a divided city. Catholics and Protestants; Celtic and Rangers. Stumble down the wrong street at night, and you might not find your way home again. Using this resource will offer learners the opportunity to explore sectarianism, the history, its impact and their own personal response. Find sources: "Divided City"– news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR ( December 2009) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) But the Orange Walks are beginning - the annual marches that bring the city's tensions to the surface. And Joe and Graham have to decide where their loyalties lie.

Divided City: Exploring sectarianism – Primary pack Divided City: Exploring sectarianism – Primary pack

Best of all are Joe and Graham. We like them both. We understand their dreams of footballing glory, and admire the way they negotiate a complicated minefield of prejudice and misunderstanding. A wonderfuly successful stage version of DIVIDED CITY took place in May 2011 and January 2012 in sell-out shows. The production was a joint Youth Music Initiative project created and funded by The Citizens Theatre, This works because she creates characters we both believe in and like. From Kathleen, Joe's hairdressing auntie, to Mr Sinclair, who becomes more and more important to the boys, to Jammy, an unpredictable cousin with a violent streak - everyone is a rounded individual. The thing that amazed me most is plenty and diversity of motifs, touched in this book, based on religious division. The definitions between Catholics and Protestants are considered in many spheres of the life, from the football tastes up to demonstrations and city sights. I mostly liked this book. It describes the story of two boys, who belong to different religions. Also they support different football teams.

Graham’s Granda Reid is a proud Orangeman who wants Graham to march in the big Orange Walk which is coming up. Graham’s parents have always resisted pressure to make him take part when he was younger saying he should make his own mind up when he is old enough. However, this is the year he must do so. Joe’s family members are equally committed to upholding their Catholic traditions. That we can accept each other for who we are and that we can be allowed to have different views and opinions is very important. But to realise that we can we work together and be greater than the sum of us as individuals for all that is even more. One of the gang ran past Graham, shoving him roughly aside. His face shone with sweat and excitement. The six workshops cover an exploration of discrimination, the history of sectarianism and the impact of sectarianism on friendships and on individuals. At first, I thought that Graham's character was too common, but then I realized that if it wasn't, Graham's evolution wouldn't seem so broad. However, I still think that such a marvelous book deserves better final. It is too simple and predictable. To my mind, it is so because this book is written for teenagers and in the end everybody should be happy.

Divided City PDF - PDF Book Library Read Download Divided City PDF - PDF Book Library

Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2020-07-20 17:03:54 Boxid IA1887815 Camera Sony Alpha-A6300 (Control) Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier At the end of Reglan Street nearest the playing fields, huge shadows danced. The outline of the hunters – distorted and elongated against the bright floodlights used for night games on the football pitches. Graham saw them gather together, become one monstrous creature, then break apart. Their twisted shapes thrown out ahead of them as they came. Seeking. Searching. Granted the dilemma of an asylum seeker from a ‘White List’ country, deemed to be safe but which isn’t, may need elucidating to a wider audience, yet while the novel is even-handed enough as between Protestant and Catholic viewpoints I struggled to see for what audience this could have been written, whom it was intended to educate. The book’s cover is emblazoned with the phrase “Carnegie Medal winning author” implying it’s for young adults. But young adults in Glasgow will know about sectarianism, those elsewhere likely not care (Northern Ireland excepted.) The incidental illustration of the usual parental restrictions on adolescent comings and goings do not expand the scope. Divided City’s earlier chapters reminded me of a certain kind of not very good Science Fiction which doesn’t trust its reader to make the connections, so too much is spelled out. And there is an overuse of exclamation marks. I would submit that YA readers deserve better.He was walking fast, eating from his bag of hot chips as he went. Taking a detour via Reglan Street. The kind of street his parents had warned him never to be in. The kind of street where your footsteps echoed loud, too loud – because there was no one else about. Breslin’s book is broad-minded and bold in the way it refuses to dodge the issues while at the same time trying to give as balanced a view as a writer can of the prejudice that divides friends, families and neighbours. Breslin’s book will grab a few headlines, and if it gets people thinking, especially young people, but just as importantly, adults, then it’s done some good. The fact that it’s also a great wee story is a bonus. Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.20 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Old_pallet IA18213 Openlibrary_edition Graham’s eyes widened in terror. He couldn’t speak, couldn’t take his gaze from the knife. The boy raised his knife. ‘Speak, ya wee—’ Essence of Glasgow is what this book is about. The cover speaks eloquently of the division in the city - Protestants on one side, Catholics on the other. It is a difference that spreads out from religious belief to take in every aspect of life: school, work, and most especially football. The Celtic/Rangers matches and the Orange marches highlight this gulf, and Breslin has cleverly and economically built her more intimate story of two friends around these more public events.

DIVIDED CITY by Theresa Breslin | Goodreads

Graham took his hands from his head. He stepped from the doorway onto the street. Went slowly forward to look at the huddled body lying on the ground. Beside the paper ball of his chip bag there was a puddle of liquid. Under the light of the street lamp it reflected dull red. It was seeping from below the body of the boy. Moving out towards Graham’s feet. A variety of activities are utilised with many drama activities incorporated which support young learners to walk in the shoes of people with different viewpoints and beliefs. It seems that one has to treat another just like another stranger and best be on his way out. Atmosphere in which live each of them should have big influence on them. But, they become good friends, although they have different world outlook, they believe in different things, support different teams. the main characters (Joe and Graham) are two young boys who love football. they both play football and they are the two best football players of the team. It would be a three for story and writing, but I think the aim of this book was to put across a message to a demographic which I am not part of, and that it does very well so I bump it up to a four.This article relies excessively on references to primary sources. Please improve this article by adding secondary or tertiary sources. I would recommend this book for young adults who want to read about cultural misunderstandings, outsiders, and nationalism/tribalism. It's easy to pretend that we are all unbiased and fair, but reading books like this one help to show that there is a side to every story, including yours. Devided city is a really nice book and the book is easy to read. the book is really likable if you like footbal and when you like the Scottish competition. I knew a lot of the Scottisch competition before is started to read this book, but when I started to read this book I realized how many hate their was between the supporters. before you start to read this book I advise to read something about the Old Firm, when you know something about the Old Firm it will help you to understand the book. the most importent thing about this book is the friendship between the two guys despite they are for two differents football clubs. There are six workshops which could each take from 1 to 1.5 hours. Learning can be linked across curricular areas particularly literacy and literacy across learning; health and wellbeing; RME; social studies; and expressive arts. A powerful, gripping story about friendship, prejudice and tolerance from multi-award-winning author Theresa Breslin.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment