276°
Posted 20 hours ago

I Am Not Your Baby Mother: THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There she is met with microagressions straight away—from teachers who do not bother learning to pronounce her name, to students gossiping about 'gangs killing each other in London' and desribing her natural afro hair as 'unkempt'. I wanted to learn about issues black and asian women face within the UK and in structural systems like the NHS, Criminal Prosecution Service and so on. She makes the point that a lot of Black people simply don’t talk about this stuff and she has stepped out of that area to do it: more power to her and I hope this space she’s opening up stays open. Almost impossible to get Canadian and Australian books, though, which stifles my reading on Indigenous peoples somewhat! This story follows Cynthia, as she comes to terms with the murder of her brother and moving away from her friends into a very white and suburban area and falls into a tricky Romeo/Juliet situation.

She has worked with brands such as Pampers, Ella's Kitchen and Specsavers, and has appeared on countless panels to discuss modern motherhood. Depending on how much time he had, he would recite lyrics about how the size of your offering would reflect the size of your blessing, and if you really wanted that new house or for your child to get into that university, or for the good Lord to zap that cancer out of you, then you sure as hell better put your money where your prayer was. Candice Brathwaite’s much-anticipated second book about all the things she wishes she’d been told when she was young and needed guidance. There is a lot of work to do and I for one am energised and ready to keep working towards that future where equality isn't just a wishful thinking buzz word but a reality. Cuts Both Ways tells the story of Cynthia—a 16-year-old from North London—who just moved to Buckinghamshire with her parents following the tragic loss of her brother.I want black women, black women who happen to be mothers, to be given space to share their multifaceted, motherhood journeys – irrespective of their family make-up, current financial situation or number of past lovers – with pride.

Unfortunately, the pacing felt a little off, and the last few chapters happened way too quickly - it seemed a bit rushed and as a result, the closure/ ambiguity was less effective than it could have been, in my opinion. Nevertheless, conflict soon arises when feelings begin to develop and Cynthia is caught up between the brothers. Related, I have just finished Why I’m not talking to white people about race, and I noted your review iof Angie Thomas’s latest which I missed replying to.Her debut book I Am Not Your Baby Mother - about being a black British mum - was published in 2020 by Quercus, and made the Sunday Times Bestseller list.

This sharp and authentic young adult love story brings to the forefront important issues such as race, class and the complexities of growing up Black in Britain today. I thought I knew racism ‘theory’ but seeing it this way you get to realize how pervasive it is (and also how dismissive Black people are of white ‘experts’).Previously a bestselling adult author, this is Candice’s first foray into YA and we could not be more excited to add her fiction debut to our “to be read” pile! Unfortunately, this was less of a shock for me as we spent quite a lot of the book building up to the shock reveal, so it was already revealed without the words being placed on the page.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment