276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Nigel Owens: The Final Whistle: The long-awaited sequel to his bestselling autobiography!

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It was entirely possible at one stage that none of that would have happened. I’m so glad it did, creating many more memories – and the odd controversy or three! Of all the sayings and stories in this warm and affable memoir there’s one that stands out rather. It derives from Owens’ one and only visit to take charge of a game in Gilfach Goch. Such is the age of social media, I’m told a video of the incident has been shared so often it has had more than two million views on YouTube. I find that staggering. There are also compilations to be found of my so-called one-liners to players which people have apparently found funny. Nigel Owens quotes and compilations? Come on, are they really that amusing? I certainly didn’t think so at the time; nor do I now, to be perfectly honest.

A couple of days later Geraint John called me into his office, explained that he knew nothing at all about this and would get things sorted. A few weeks later I was told that a new contract had been drawn up and the document was with my referees’ manager ready for me to sign, if I was happy with it. Happy? I was over the moon. It was for another four years. He was without doubt the best referee of his era, taking charge of the World Cup final, 100 Test matches, a record number of Six Nations games and also seven European Cup finals. Owens has become a household name thanks to his witty rapport with players on the field, as well as his media appearances away from it too. Switching from Wales to England didn’t seem right though, particularly after the enormous support most at the WRU had given me down the years, including my two previous referees’ managers, Bob Yeman and Clive Norling. I certainly didn’t want to walk out on that, but the stand-off over a new deal was forcing my hand and at one point I was considering the move." I'm proof that you can overcome the dark times, the trauma when you feel you are going nowhere, and still come through to achieve your goals, land your dreams and reach the very top of your profession.It’s Six Nations Super Saturday, England versus France, and Chris Robshaw’s team England are falling just short in their bid to win by 26 points and wrest the title from Ireland.

We'll have to see, but this could be my last Test match at the weekend. So there is a bit of a realisation around the fact that this could be the last time I walk out on to the field for a Test match.What a great player, but what a great captain and what a great man, and the way he came up and handled that situation and said 'look, mistakes happen, let's just get on with it'. I thought to myself, that is what a true, great rugby player is. A genuine person, and a great leader as well. My coach and TMO Derek Bevan gave me some sound advice. ‘You decide when you want to finish Nigel and don’t let anyone else force you into it. You’ll know when the time is right,’ were his words of wisdom.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment