276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Queenie of Norwich: A compelling tale based on the true story of one woman's quest to beat the odds.

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Fantastic Beasts' Character Descriptions Revealed" (Porpentina "Tina" Goldstein) from Entertainment Weekly

At the age of six, Ellen is sold to a childless couple who run a shooting gallery in a travelling fair and she becomes Nellie Westrop, travelling around East Anglia. Again the author presents a vivid and well researched depiction of her life, the ups and downs of growing up in the fairground community. It turns out that despite limited schooling, Ellen/Nellie is good with numbers and this serves her well, helping to run the stall and keep the books. I said okay. Even while I was eating Queenie kept circling me and looking at me, trying to work out her idea. Then she got me up on a stool – I was still drinking my coffee – and she began to comb and snip. And I’ve been the infamous Queenie of Norwich, moving up in the world by any means, legal or not. I’ve been heart broken, abandoned, bought and sold, but I’ve never, ever given up. After all, it’s not where you start that’s important, but where you end up. But he wasn’t. When I walked past the open living-room window that overlooked the path beside the house, I heard music. It wasn’t what Queenie would play. It was the sort of complicated music that we had heard sometimes coming through the open windows of the Vorguillas’ house – music that demanded your attention and then didn’t go anywhere, or at least didn’t go anywhere fast enough. Classical.

What is the novel about?

Queenie of Norwich is an addictive read, hard to put down, but it also brings to life much of the social history of Norwich in the early 20th century. Scroll down to read the author’s blog about this book. Well of course he was wrong,’ she said. ‘Men are not normal, Chrissy. That’s one thing you’ll learn if you ever get married.’ A fascinating historical novel which combines an education about the lives of England's poor working class and, most interestingly, the travelling fair folk of the early 20th century, with an entertaining tale.

I still tried to be nonchalant, and act as if I felt welcome. ‘I need to get a nice cool dress like yours,’ I said. So look who’s here,’ cried Queenie. She half got up, as if to touch him, but he veered toward the sink. If you would like to know more about this period in history, I would strongly recommend two books by Frances and Michael Holmes: The Old Courts and Yards of Norwich by Frances and Michael Holmes Harry Potter" Spinoff 'Fantastic Beasts' to Star Singer-Songwriter Alison Sudol" at The Hollywood ReporterHer voice which had been so woeful in the bad parts of the story was now sly and full of laughter, as if all the time she had been telling me a joke, and throwing out the cake was the final, ridiculous point of it. Body for Protection of Magical Species · Department of Aurors · Department of Magical Law Enforcement · Department of No-Maj Misinformation · Department of Unidentifiable Magical Objects · Department for Confiscated Items · Federal Bureau of Covert Vigilance and No-Maj Obliviation · MACUSA Communications Department · MACUSA Investigation Department · MACUSA Surveillance Wizarding Resources Department · Magical Cleaning Department · Major Investigation Department · Office for Magic Relations and Education · US Auror Divisions · Wand Permit Department · Wizarding Resources Department I decided to break the process down into three parts- Ellen Hardy, Nellie Westrop and Queenie Read, all names Queenie held at different times in her life.

She dropped the knife and came to me in a hurry, saying softly, ‘You walked right in with it in your hand, I should have told you, put it in your purse. My private letter.’ She grabbed it from my hand and right at that moment the kettle on the stove began to shriek.For Queenie’s family Llewella Gideon is Grandma Veronica (GameFace), Michelle Greenidge plays Aunty Maggie (After Life) and Cristale De’Abreu makes her TV debut as Queenie’s little cousin Diana . Newt Scamander: " You're a Legilimens?" Queenie: " Mm. Yeah. But I always have trouble with your kind; Brits. It's the accent." — Queenie discussing her Legilimency talent [src] They did play one children’s game. They played musical chairs. Everybody was boisterous by that time. Even Stan. He pulled Queenie down into his lap when she was running past, and he wouldn’t let her go. And then when everybody had gone he wouldn’t let her clean up. He just wanted her to come to bed.

Queenie was a free-spirited, kind-hearted woman. [22] She was very empathetic and skilled in the art of Legilimency, which sometimes affected her relationship with others, but deepened the one she shared with her sister. [21] [22] [24] She was also considered to be "very brave." [24] Queenie was unperturbed by the prejudice of her fellow wizards towards No-Majs, as ferociously evidenced by her relationship with Jacob Kowalski, and her empathy towards him. Having been sorted into Pukwudgie, Queenie was incredibly kind towards people she realised were in pain or torment, as shown by how she consoled Newt Scamander about his relationship with Leta Lestrange - stating that Leta was a taker, whilst he needed a giver.

What do we know about the plot of the TV series?

As such, Queenie attended Grindelwald's meeting in the Lestrange Mausoleum, giddily hearing about him describing the muggles as merely different, to protect from themselves and not oppress, and told Jacob Kowalski (who was warned of her presence there by Nicolas Flamel) that by joining Grindelwald they could finally be together. Jacob refused, leaving her heartbroken, but she still went away with Grindelwald to Nurmengard Castle, clinging on her hope of a future with Jacob as her husband. Queenie of Norwich is LK Wilde’s captivating portrayal of the life of Queenie Read. Heart warming and breaking in equal measure, Queenie of Norwich gives an insight into life in early 20th century Norwich and on the road with a travelling fair around East Anglia.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment