276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Next of Kin: the brand new gripping and shocking legal crime thriller that you won’t want to miss in 2021!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The courtroom scenes are tense. Abdullah drops hints like breadcrumbs and scatters them throughout the narrative to give us clues about the secrets hidden in the story. Pulling on our emotions, she highlights how successful childless women become targets of condemnation and are forced to live under the pressures of prejudices and high expectations. In short, the life of Leila Syed falls apart when her fate becomes dependent on public opinion. In the court case she’s viewed as cold and selfish; jealous of her sister for becoming something which she could not – a mother. The siblings live close by and there is nothing Leila would not do to make her sister’s life easier because she had the money.

Since discovering the work of Kia Abdullah, I have been an ardent fan, trying to get my hands on each of her novels as soon as they are available. This was no exception, as the writing is intense and the story is as heart-wrenching as one could imagine. The familial bonds are torn apart with his piece and the reader is forced to watch it all play out, leaving them to play the role of ‘thirteenth juror’ in a way, asking that they weigh the evidence of Leila Syed’s guilt in the matter of her dead nephew. I found myself transfixed by the story and rushed to find out what happened and how it all came together. Perhaps one of Abdullah’s best pieces to date! Since raising her younger sister for most of their formative years, Leila Syed has tried to make a name for herself. Now a successful architect in London, Leila remains busy with her life, but is still fairly close to Yasmin. When Leila receives a call from her brother-in-law, Andrew, asking that she help by taking young Max to nursery, Leila obliges and collects Max for the short drive. Only later, when Andrew calls to say that Max never arrived at the nursery, does Leila realise her horrible mistake. Young Max was left inside her vehicle for the entire time, on the hottest day of the year. To avoid any issues such as the above, we highly recommend writing a will, particularly at times of significant change in your life, like a separation, divorce or a birth. Was it truly a moment of forgetfulness? Being totally consumed by work and business thoughts? Or a deliberate act? The romance is slow burn and build. Warren's a jerk at first because he's trying to maintain some distance between them. Chloe's all sunshine and a bit of awkward and lots of secret insecurities while Warren comes off as aloof and smirky. But that's the glory of roommatedom (totally a word) and the walls start coming down, figuratively, as they have a simmering attraction, a lovely budding friendship, and then all the adorable (and sometimes steamy) romance. I really loved them together and the ways each supported the other.However, the next of kin has no specific legal rights and would not have the right to make decisions about health and care. If someone wanted their next of kin to have the right to make these types of decisions on their behalf, they would need to formally bestow these rights with a power of attorney. In cases where this was not possible, a next of kin would have to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a deputy. Next of kin after a death In the UK, a next of kin is used to refer to a relative (or relatives) who you have the closest relationship with. Because the second I allowed myself to truly see Chloe, a switch was flipped. The armour I had built around myself fell apart at a startling speed. There was no use fighting it. So, I did the unthinkable… I let her in.” Regardless, I still do recommend this to my fellow readers and I can hardly wait for her next book.

And Warren??? Welcome to the Top 5 Book Boyfriends List! 🤩 This man was PERFECTION. The way this man tried so hard to be a grumpy MMC, but was no match for Chloe’s sunshine personality AHHHHH I LOVED IT! Once he told himself that it was okay to fall for Chloe, he fell HARD. I fell in love with this man more and more every single time he opened his mouth. This is not just a riveting courtroom thriller, but also a family drama with relevant social commentary that brings up many controversial issues. Like the peeling of an onion, the author is adept at uncovering the issues, but is never heavy-handed. Fouts argues that it is a mistake to equate language with speech, that speech and the communication through gestures require the same cognitive basis for language in the brain, and that primates have had language capabilities for millions of years. Ok first of all, this situation is literally nauseating. Sometimes I'm late feeding my dog by 5 mins and I feel like PETA is gonna buss through my windows and arrest me. I cannot imagine living with the guilt of leaving a whole ass child in the car and they end up dying. Take me to the nearest cliff because it's over ladies n gents. Gevangen genomen worden en ontsnappingspogingen en -plannen klinken nog normaal, maar zijn het niet zoals Russell het vertelt. En wat er dan gebeurt tart elke beschrijving, het is te zeggen, enkel Eric Frank Russel zelf kan dit beschrijven. Dit is een boek dat je echt moet lezen.Simply outstanding! I have one more book from this talented author on my kindle and I cannot wait to get to it!

While you are free to choose whoever you deem to have the closest relationship with to be your next of kin, a lot of people generally follow the above guidelines. Next of kin rights and responsibilitiesNEXT OF KIN is a tragic tale of the death of a 3-year-old little boy, left in a car on a hot day by his aunt. An LPA is a legal document which lets you state exactly who you would want to manage your financial affairs and any healthcare needs in the event that you should lose the mental capacity to do so yourself. This way, you get the peace of mind knowing that your affairs will be handled sensibly and in a way that you would want if anything should happen to you. BUT...I still flew through this one. I thought I had guessed the twist early on. Well I was wrong! And then I was wrong again...and again! The ending absolutely bamboozled me as it spat out surprises like an ice cream machine with a broken “off” valve.

This is an intense domestic/legal thriller, and I’m sure anyone can picture the horror that all parties are going through. It’s dark, brutal, gut-wrenching, and unputdownable.

What is next of kin? Who is your next of kin legally in the UK?

A completely amazing, emotional book. A must read for anyone interested in human and animal welfare. I haven't been so emotionally affected by a book since "the only kayak." I’m sure this comes as a surprise to no one…but this is still ♾🌟 for me!!!! And I think everyone and their mamas should read this book!! A stunning courtroom drama, taut, tantalising, deftly paced, with a denouement that will leave you reeling’ As there are no clear legal rules, however, a next of kin doesn’t necessarily have to be a blood relative. While this is most often the case, it could also be a partner or a close friend, particularly if you are in hospital and need to name a next of kin and provide their details to medical staff. If you are in hospital, you will be asked to provide the details of your next of kin on a hospital form, providing you are well enough and capable of doing so. This is usually the person who you have the closest relationship with, but it can be anyone you wish.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment