276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Blonde Roots: From the Booker prize-winning author of Girl, Woman, Other

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It's a pity, because there are sections of the novel which are much more thought-provoking, but these are lost in the overall lack of logic. There's also a predictable checklist of race-difference issues: natural hair, names, food and spice, clothes, personal habits, language, beauty standards, cultural assimilation/resistance. Bernardine Evaristo, MBE, is the award-winning author of eight books of fiction and verse fiction that explore aspects of the African diaspora. Il valore imprescindibile dell’essere al mondo è, oltre alla vita, la libertà senza quale non possiamo dirci degni di essere chiamati umani.

Reading this type of what-if stories is like going to a gym for your brain, especially if they twist the reality as you know it! Whyte people try to tan themselves into black beauties, and those who can afford it have surgery to flatten their noses. Questo romanzo esilarante è una satira intelligente sulla razza e la schiavitù: una rivisitazione sulla tratta degli schiavi, a parti invertite. The perceptions of beauty are completely subverted (which itself serves to satirize the absurd fads of the contemporary fashion industry) so that blonde, thin and blue-eyed is ugly, while the darker, larger and more bangled is beautiful.But it's also a satire, almost Swiftian in its imaginative leaps, in which humour and suffering are effortlessly intermingled. For me there was a fairly equal balance between these two feelings, a three star rating for a book that felt at various times a two star read as well as a four. Deep down I knew that the slave traders were never going to give up their cash cow," Doris tells us.

Booker μάς παραδίδει ένα συγκλονιστικό βιβλίο καταδεικνύοντας τη δυσκολία επιβίωσης ατόμων που διαφέρουν με οποιονδήποτε τρόπο. The people of Ambossa shout to the very few whytes who live in the “vanilla cities” suburbs: ‘”Wigger, go home! La conformazione del cranio negroide ha dunque prodotto i seguenti tratti: ambizione, motivazione personale, ingegnosità, autodisciplina, coraggio, integrità morale, illuminazione spirituale e responsabilità collettiva. All'inizio è una schiava istruita con alcuni privilegi in una famiglia benestante a Londolo, la capitale della Grande Ambossa. The title is amazing and I spent a long time thinking about it with all the implications, hidden and obvious.A premissa do livro é muito boa (uma escravatura ao contrário, em que os brancos são os escravizados) e as primeiras páginas prometem. It's the message that freedom is the right to choose your own bonds that makes Blonde Roots so human and real. Family ties being savagely broken and sometimes surreptitiously rearranged is an enduring tragedy of slavery, but in this book, I never really felt the pain of it. Overall, however, if you want to read about the real horrors of slavery from the point of view of a slave woman, I'm afraid you are much better off grabbing a copy of Andrea Levy's The Long Song. Her eighth book will be a collection of her short stories, published by in Italian by Carocci in 2015.

What blew me away mainly is that BE manages to include so much commentary is this book and also has a fantastic story with great characters. It is the slave trade in reverse; in Evaristo’s language the whytes are the slaves and the blaks are the masters and slave-owners. After giving Doris a proper name -- "Omorenomwara" -- her African owner expects her to look respectable, which means wearing her straight blonde hair in plaited hoops all over her head and going barefoot. But how do you maintain that shock over atrocities 200 years old without people feeling they have heard the story before?She is not seeking to score points about whites and blacks; the thrust seems merely to be that we're no different from one another.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment