276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mile High (Windy City Series Book 1)

£7.395£14.79Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Mile High is my first book by Rebecca Chance, but I had heard great things about her previous books so I was really excited to start it. The first that caught my attention in this book was its third person narrative. It was told from multiple points of views but it had a bit of an impersonal touch, so it was difficult for me to really connect with the characters. I felt, at the beginning, as if I was reading a very long magazine article rather than a book. But once I got used to this style and started knowing all the key characters better, I started enjoying the story a lot more. And I have to admit that with this narrative, it was totally impossible to guess who the stalker was, so Rebecca managed to keep me wondering until the very last minute. I’ve been a flight attendant for years. I thought I’d see it all, but when my new job lands me onboard working for the most egotistical and self-righteous diva in the NHL, I start to second guess everything. Including the promise I made to myself of never hooking up with an athlete again…no matter how annoyingly tempting he may be. Condon's great and nourishing strength has always been his mania for mania. The mushy midsection of the human-behavior range has no interest for him, and ordinary psychosis not much more. What grips his imagination, and shakes it till splendid words fall out, is the tic of a human bomb.... I liked the bitching among the crew the best to be honest. I was expecting to like the mystery of the stalker as well as the murderer but I was really disappointed to read about both of them. I figured out the stalker pretty early. With the murderer, there wasn't enough to go on. I think Rebecca Chance wanted to add more drama and more interest by revealing that there is a murderer onboard but didn't elaborate anything. The murderer was barely mentioned few times save for an introduction. What I don’t like is the new flight attendant on our team’s private plane. She works for me, not the other way around. But I’ll be sure to remind her of that, and I can guarantee, by the end of the season, she’ll be begging to quit her job.

The spice was 5/5. Zanders is a playboy so he has moves and skills he deserves, but I was pleasantly surprised by Stevie’s confidence, even if he was initially hesitant. They were flammable in the best way. On the romantic side, I couldn’t stop fainting. The way Zanders loves Stevie through his insecurities and the way Stevie loves him through her grudges on the past is so good. They challenge each other and get stronger. But the stalker story line is not the only one going on during this flight. Romance, scandal, envies, jealousy... they all have their own role. With a really bitchy flight attendant and her entourage, a flirty self-centered pilot, a chef more preoccupied for the staff than for the food and an oscar-nominated actress with a big secret, there's enough drama to fill several books. Oh, and don't forget the sexy scenes (plane toilets are there for something, aren't they?). Even if one of the scenes made me laugh out loud after discovering the chef "big" secret (curious, aren't you?). I love Rebecca Chance and I always look forward to reading her books. I have read most of her work by this point.

Become a Member

You’re not an idiot. You’re not crazy for wanting to be wanted. For wanting to be loved.” A deep swallow bobs in her throat. “And you’re not an option, Stevie, because besides you, there’s no other choice.” Overall View This was a very interesting read. It's my first ever Rebecca Chance, and I know she's super popular with other readers and I can sort of see why. Mile High is a ridiculously long read (it took me 6 hours, or thereabouts) and for the most part it kept me gripped throughout. I did want a little bit more action- when you're promised a ten-hour flight and a stalker who's desperate to get what they want, you kind of expect a lot more action and tension. But we actually rarely heard from the stalker, which made me sad. If we'd go to know their thought processes a bit more, it would have ratcheted up the tension hugely. I actually had no idea who the stalker was, and I changed my mind more times than I care to admit over who I thought it was. Wow! I felt completely exhausted after reading Mile High. There was always something going on, and left you guessing till right towards the end as to who the stalker was. I had no idea it was going to be (oh no, you didn’t really think I was going to spoil it did you?) Catalina, one of the celebrities had to deal with a lot throughout the flight. Her stalker is on board and that added a lot of mystery. I changed my mind about who the stalker was several times.

Our arrangement isn't one-sided, though. I'm in a wedding coming up, on where every one of my childhood friends, including my ex-boyfriend, will be in attendance, and there's no better date than my ex's celebrity hero. I absolutely loved that the novel was set mostly on a plane. That was amazing, such a good concept and so well written. Why no other author has ever done that, that I know of, is quite a surprise because there's a lot of scope there, especially when it's a plane with as much hype as the PureAir LuxeLiner plane with all the celebs and gossip and scandal. Everything was tied at the end nicely. As always, it was full of scandals, mysteries (even though a bit disappointing), sex and glamour. Overall, I enjoyed the book.

Customer reviews

Condon just cannot be all bad, try as he will. Mile High contains at least one phrase that will outlast the century. Someone's face is described as resembling "a fish cake with a mustache." Condon should discard the rest of the book and rebuild on this foundation. [2] The title, for only the second time in Condon's eight novels, is not derived from a fictitious Keener's Manual mentioned in most of his earlier novels. Only his second, and most famous work, The Manchurian Candidate, had not previously used doggerel from the Manual as a title source.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment