276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lioness - My Journey to Glory: Winner of the Sunday Times Sports Book Awards Autobiography of the Year

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I loved this book, it was fascinating to read about Beth Meads football journey from day 1 until present day. Beth Mead is one of the world's most talented footballers, a Golden Boot winner and Player of the Tournament at the UEFA Euro 2022, England Player of the Year 2021-22, Arsenal Player of the Season 2021-22, and runner-up for the 2022 Ballon d'Or. I loved when Beth told Vivianne Miedema that they’d both been nominated for a Ballon d'Or and Viv “stared impassively” and said “Yes, it’s my fifth time. I also appreciate the effort Beth puts towards women’s football, and I love that her passion is so obvious and strong.

One thing that really strikes me and is very evident is the pay and resource difference between the male and female players. She's also very open about the mental struggles she's faced both on and off the pitch, and it's refreshing to see someone talk about it so honestly. Her talent was quickly identified and she eventually signed for WSL side Sunderland before joining Arsenal. I felt like I was having a conversation with Beth and she was just telling me her story sitting next to me. Sarina Wiegmann was the catalyst for the women's team achieving success, bringing a strong work ethic but also valuing each player as an individual.Beth Mead is one of the world's most talented footballers - Golden Boot winner and Player of the Tournament at the UEFA Euro 2022, England Player of the Year 2021-22, Arsenal Player of the Season 2021-22, and nominee for the 2022 Ballon d'Or. I really enjoyed reading this book, I could not put it down and stayed up far too late to finish it. The book starts with a dark time in Beth's life, then goes back to her childhood, her family, and of course, her start in football till the current day. So is being a non football fan in London is hard being a female footballer is a billion times more difficult, which is what makes Beth and the other Lioness' story even more incredible. Now, Beth shares the challenges that shaped her, what she faced on the journey to the top, and the life events that made her stronger - from being dropped from the England squad and receiving devastating family news, to finding her best form under the guidance of Jonas Eidevall and Sarina Wiegman.

Just like Megan Rapinoe’s One Life, this was a great insight into what it’s actually like for female footballers, but this time from a British perspective. I remember the days of, football is for boys, you can't play with us and I am pleased to see that sport is moving in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go. During the retelling of each game, I watched the highlights on YouTube, watching it with fresh eyes, now knowing what was said in the changing rooms, in the tunnel, on the pitch, shouted between players after a goal.There maybe have been a few things that bothered me while reading this book but for the most parts the likes outweigh the dislikes. i started reading this book with the view of “oh i like beth mead, let’s read this” but as i got further into the book, i realised just how much i related to beth, from her mental journey, to the locations (eg southampton, whitby, and st albans).

The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. She was the top goalscorer in the UEFA Women's Euro 2022, which saw England crowned champions - their first international trophy since the 1966 Men's FIFA World Cup. I never really know how to rate autobiographies as they are someone’s real life, so this will remain unrated for now, but this was such a great read. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. She was also named Player of the Tournament and has since won England Women's Player of the Year, the BBC Women's Footballer of the Year 2022 and been named runner-up for the 2022 Ballon d'Or Feminin.They’ve transformed women’s football and I’m so excited to continue to follow and support the growth of the game.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment