276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Scarpa Men's Ribelle Trail Running Shoes, 14

£62£124.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Usually, we try to get 150 miles on a shoe before writing a review. Due to factories being closed because of Covid infection we had a longer 6 months to test run the shoes. That means we can write a bit more about the durability of the Ribelle Run. From a design standpoint, the shoes have some significant differences. The Kalibra’s gaiter (which Bergen much preferred) is about an inch taller and comes with a secure closure strap at the top. The Cyklon Cross zipper, in comparison, has a tendency to creep downward. Our women’s tester adjusting the zipper and the cuff on the Ribelle Run Kalibra G; (photo/Katherine Murphy) Another reason they feel a little larger is because of their wide fit, particularly across the forefoot. This is accompanied by quite a high volume around the midfoot. If you've historically had trouble finding shoes that fit your wide, chunky feet then these will potentially be the holy grail you've been looking for.

It took me some time to figure out exactly what was the source of the issue with the Ribelle Run’s ride, and after over 100+ miles, I think I’ve gathered enough anecdotal evidence to speculate. The problem starts with the stiffness of the midsole; instead of delivering high amounts of energy return, the EVA feels both inflexible and unresponsive. I think swapping out the existing midsole with one that is lighter and more cushioned would benefit future iterations of the model, which is otherwise tremendously well made, in my opinion. The Ortholite insoles Scarpa uses do add some plushness to the overall feel of the shoe, but not enough to offset the harshness I felt from its otherwise rigid platform. Technical trail shoes do generally need to be built studier than models intended for general use, but I think the Ribelle Run would be just fine without Scarpa’s “Dynamic Stabilizer Torsion” frame as well. The DST frame is included in the shoe’s midsole and wraps under the arch before extending along both sides of the heel for added stability and torsion control, but in my experience, it interfered with my natural footstrike by being too restrictive.The diagonal zipper here is offset, and not resting directly on the bones on the top of your feet. The gaiter material is Polartec Windbloc, which promises a balance of water resistance and breathability. Both testers found that to be the case out on the trail. The midsole provides a good level of cushioning. This is soft at the heel and firmer in the forefoot to allow for a strong push off. The overlay in the forefoot of the upper completely covers the midsole in the forefoot. This not only protects the EVA from abrasion but stops it squashing outwards when you put pressure on it. This gives the midsole in the forefoot more rebound and therefore more propulsion. As per the comments in Fit, I wasn't a fan of the speed lacing, but do like the traditional laces supplied. The former felt a little sharp, and I found myself wanting a little more precision, although a part of this potentially comes down to the fact I was having to over-tighten due to the sizing issue I was experiencing. Summary

Stretch fabric ankle collar incorporated with a minimal stretch tongue provides gentle wrapping and support, reducing bulk and enhancing fit, and seals out trail debris. That makes a big difference. Heel lift, which often plagues other BOA footwear, is a non-issue for the SCARPA Ribelle Run. Detailing on the new SCARPA winter trail runner; (photo/Katherine Murphy) Fit: The shoe is built to wrap the foot with precision thanks to it’s reduced volume fit, perfect for this more technically oriented shoe. The heel is stabilized by an EVA band that completely wraps the shoe. Currently only full European sizes are available in the UK and there is a size conversion to be aware of. There is about ¾ of a UK size between European sizes. The Ribelle Run fit a bit on the big side. I have a Euro 46 and usually wear a Euro 46.5 in most brands. In my experience the Ribelle Run size half a Euro size larger than most running brands, so I would suggest trying half a size smaller than you usually use.

RECYCLED UPPER

Scarpa’s ‘Ribelle’ is a range of footwear that is designed for the most technical mountain conditions. The Ribelle Run is the running shoe within that range and has been designed for fast running over technical terrain. In my opinion I found them to be a very versatile trail running shoe. They are not just a ‘race shoe’ and are comfortable to wear on a variety of terrains and distances. There’s another new Italian winter trail runner competing for gold this season: the La Sportiva Cyklon Cross GTX, which GearJunkie reviewed late last year. The Cyklon Cross and the Kalibra have a lot in common. In fact, the average runner might have trouble finding any differences between the two from the outside. They both have an integrated BOA system, zippered gaiter, and big outsole lugs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment