276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Chime Seekers

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She is Evie, twelve years old, and they are people inside her dream. Next day, she meets both the cat and Wainwright in real life. And so begins the most magical and dangerous adventure that any child could wish for. Amy was also just perfect, a wonderfully nerdy girl who stole my very nerdy heart. She was the perfect yin to Yanni’s yang. Perhaps my favourite though, was Larry. I loved the way that, as the reader, your own thoughts and feelings mirror Yanni’s. At first Larry is terrifying, but gradually you fall in love with the little monster as it becomes clear that he’s just another victim of the big scary villain. I did think that the book's message, that Yanni was just selfish, was wrong. All his parents attention went to his sister, and I felt he was pushed to the wayside in favour of her. After the move, watching his look at her perfectly decorated room when his own room had not even been started on, when all he wanted was to spend a movie night with his Dad, that broke my heart. We can't forget, Yanni is a kid too. This book’s plot is so terrific that it’s hard to do it justice in a short summary, but it’s reminiscent of much of the best children’s literature – filled with real stakes, danger, tragedies, and lovable, memorable characters. The villain, Lord Renwin, is truly frightening – Yanni is in a match of wits with the devil, and souls are on the line.

This is very good advice, but, as we find out, very, very hard to follow. Yanni embarks on a series of quite terrifying adventures as he desperately tries to meet Lorde Renwin’s demands. Amy proves to be just as brave and resourceful as he is; and what’s more, she has a very useful book on Fairy Lore. Characters Slowly, his body rigid with fright, he turned around. Something was heaving itself out of the darkness. Yanni knew exactly what it was – he just didn’t want to believe it. He didn’t want to believe that the thing crawling across the floor toward him was real: the shattered stumps, the crumbling skin, the blank void where the face should be … My thoughts on ‘The Chime Seekers’ Wainwright nodded. ‘The magic is hidden inside her. I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve been watching her for a while.’Yanni's life was perfect before his little sister was born and ruined everything. His parents are exhausted, they spend less time with him, and the entire family had to move to accommodate their new member. Yanni just wishes Ari had never been born! A fantastic adventure with shades of Jan Mark, Susanna Clarke and Neil Gaiman … A brilliant example of the best children’s fiction.” Spooky, scary and funny ... Ross Montgomery is ontop form with this fast-paced and hilarious journey Ross Welford I absolutely adored The Midnight Guardians - one of my most loved books of 2020 - so was highly anticipating The Chime Seekers and it did not disappoint. As in all the best adventure stories, there are lots of really scary moments. One of my favourite scenes is where Yanni is chased by statues:

Ross Montgomery has something really special, because his writing is very much like that magical realism that I loved in the 90's but it also has something we didn't have then - unstoppable, and totally permissible, imagination. This story has the fairytale whimsy but dark fantasy that I am so glad middle grade readers, and adult readers who still appreciate middle grade, have become so used to enjoying. It's now totally acceptable to be as daring and adventurous as you like with your story, and kids and adults alike just lap it up. When I started writing Spellstone, one of the things I had to decide was how magic works in the book. Can anyone be a magician? Do you need wands to cast spells? What makes you more or less powerful than another magician? A quest like no other: Ross Montgomery is on spectacular form in this brilliant, edge-of-your seat story.” A quest like no other: Ross Montgomery is on spectacular form in this brilliant, edge-of-your seat story about magic, unlikely alliances and talking signposts. - Emma Carroll

Walker Books would love to see you enjoying the book with children using these great Teachers’ Notes and Discussion Guide. You can share images on social media using #TheChimeSeekers and tagging WalkerBooksUK, readingagency and mossmontmomery. He soon discovers that making a wish you don't mean, especially in a strange, new place you don't yet understand, will introduce you to individuals who will grant it for you, and ensure disastrous consequences for everyone. The Chime Seekers is, I believe, the second book in this world but it does work really well alone. It is essentially a story of a boy who doesn't appreciate the new sibling he is having to tolerate and wishes they would just disappear. The trouble with making wishes in the dark is that sometimes the darkness listens. I loved the atmospheric writing, the colourful cover and the compelling characters. I have read the authors previous book and I found the same things I loved in that book still sing true for this one - great pacing, great characters and absolutely THE BEST world building.

My first choice was to keep it simple. I decided that magicians each have one power: one skill that is unique to them and them alone. This was based on a discussion, that became an argument, I had with my friends at school – if you could have one magical power, what would it be? A friend said that he’d be able to stop time – I said that this would be a horrible power to have! You’d be the only person in THE UNIVERSE who didn’t experience time like anyone else – it would be more of a punishment than a power! My friend got annoyed, and asked what power I’d have then – and I said the power to magic a glass of water in my hand at will. We argued about that for hours. I guess the only positive thing to come out of it is that I came up with Onslow’s power from it!’ Over to you Yanni’s life is changing. New baby sister, new house in the countryside, new school, new life. But Yanni hadn’t wanted to leave his old life. He liked things as they were, before his baby sister Ari took all of his Mum and Dad’s attention and left no room for him. Nothing is about him anymore, it’s all about Ari. When his parents go out for dinner at Halloween and leave Yanni and his (second) cousin Amy to babysit, things get too much for him and he says out loud the things he has only been thinking up until now. Suddenly a strange visitor arrives, making Yanni uneasy and things take a more ominous path.A deliciously creepy, wonderfully imaginative, folklore-filled tale from a hugely talented and accomplished storyteller.” A fantasy story clearly inspired by the movie Labyrinth, this gave me all of the vibes my little goblin heart needed, while still being an utterly original, engrossing story. I loved this so much I ran out and bought a physical copy the very next day, I just needed it in my collection.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment