276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ashley Book of Knots

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It also provides a sort of sociological insight into how people worked not so long ago, too, with knots specific to stevedores, teamsters, movers, bakers, fishermen and others who once depended on knots but to a great extent no longer do so. The original list of revisions submitted to the publisher is believed to have been lost, but many had been collected from a series of articles in Knotting Matters, the Guild's quarterly publication. On a gray day when I'm in no mood for much I can open ABoK to an arbitrary page and feel myself decompress as I browse.

He was an author and painter of consummate skill, well regarded for his paintings of ships and the sea and for his illustrations. Published in 1944, so there's a lot of interesting history in it as well as lots of fascinating information on useful and decorative knots. These have been collected and collated by Geoffrey Budworth with the help of other members of the International Guild of Knot Tyers. It is no longer the last word in knots, now that slippery, brittle materials with incredible tensile strength such as spectra (made of kevlar) exist. Ashley's wonderful 1944 work, The Ashley Book of Knots, which I had the good fortune to find at a yard sale for a quarter, this book would have remained just a thread of an idea.if you can appreciate a magnificent effort by one person to know, record and share everything there is to know about one thing, you'll appreciate this volume.

As this book was first published in 1944, there are some more recently discovered knots missing from this huge volume, such as the Versatackle knot and the Zeppelin bend. This is probably the most important book on the subject, and has more knots listed than any other book. This is the definitive reference on the subject and well worth adding to ANY library, public, private, or personal.

But it's so much more than just an enyclopedia of knots; it's also a glimpse into the history of their use and utility. Knot tying is probably in no danger of disappearing, but certainly fewer people are learning to tie them.

It adds interest that it identifies dangerous variations of well known knots with a skull and crossbones! If you appreciate resourcefulness, art, sailing, camping, flying, needlecraft, knitting, crochet, history, physics, tenacity, dedication, collecting, music, carpentry, or anything really. Annie Proulx, with its descriptions and illustrations of various knots providing the chapter headings. If you only have a casual or moderate interest in knots you may want to pick a less expensive and less voluminous book. Was muss noch über Knoten gesagt werden Fast 650 Seiten unglaubliches Wissen, präsentiert in einer wahrhaft einzigartigen Weise.I've referred to this beautifully illustrated book many times when looking for just theright way to rig something up in the yard, fastening cargo to the roof of the car, tying my kids to the flagpole.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment