276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Alone on the Wall: Alex Honnold and the Ultimate Limits of Adventure

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While Honnold is best known for his starring role in the Oscar-winning documentary Free Solo, he has also appeared in several other films. You may also opt to downgrade to Standard Digital, a robust journalistic offering that fulfils many user’s needs. In seamlessly fusing memoir, reporting, social history, climbing lore, technical expertise, and intimate glimpses of his tribe, Mark Synnott has given us a kind of epic of life on the edge.

Alex Honnold: ‘My new film is almost too much for some people’ Alex Honnold: ‘My new film is almost too much for some people’

Mark Synnott is a twenty-five-year member of the North Face Global Athlete Team, an internationally certified mountain guide and a trainer for the Pararescuemen of the United States Air Force. But I had to put the book down after reading about 2/3 of it, and come back to it later, because it was just making me anxious. For the entry about free soloing Half Dome, I put a frowny face and added some little notes about what I should have done better, and then underlined it. sexism - for the few women referenced, they were all referred to as a "chick" outside of his gf and a brief mention of Lynn Hill. If you are interested in what motivates the guy who does the most death-defying climbs at record speed, read this book.

And gems from memory like “Tommy just picked up a stone and wedged it into a 4 inch crack for an anchor.

Alex Honnold and the Ultimate Limits of Alone on the Wall: Alex Honnold and the Ultimate Limits of

There were moments that I was eating it up and times I had to drag myself through the pages (and it's not even that long of a book). As a teenager, I started making small trips outdoors, but they were limited by the fact that I didn’t have a car.So, the idea of the foundation began from trying to rectify that whole imbalance of sports and entertainment versus actual, useful social work. Climbing this 1,000-metre wall free solo made him suddenly famous outside the climbing scene, and the documentary about it won an Oscar. His foundation supports small social and environmental organizations that have concrete and sustainable project goals. But Honnold already announces one thing: His daughter will later be allowed to climb with hand jammies, i. Synnott adds depth, intimacy, and a hint of fear to Honnold’s climb; more importantly, he adds context to the historical feat.

Alone on the Wall (Expanded Edition) - Alex Honnold - Google

Every time this was "talked" about in the book, Alex would backlash and "say" that it "wasn't really like that". I also expected to read more about his preperation for climbs, thoughts during climbs, what motivates him. Coming into the book, I thought Alex Honnold was a pretty amazing person not just for his climbing ability but for his storytelling, humor, modesty, philanthropy and indifference to fame but politeness to the enthusiastic fans who seek out selfies with him at events. He is an avid reader with interests in classic literature, environmentalism, and economics, and he describes himself as an anti-religion atheist [34] [35] and a feminist.After graduating from Mira Loma High School as part of the International Baccalaureate Programme in 2003, he enrolled at the University of California, Berkeley, to study civil engineering. Throughout the film, Honnold wrestles with his personal life, openly wondering if a budding romance will compromise his climbing goals.

Free Solo | National Geographic Documentary Films Free Solo | National Geographic Documentary Films

Loved the interviews with his friends, expert climbers, the equivalents of Beck, Clapton, and Townsend acknowledging that Hendrix is on another level. He also didn’t tell many friends about his training goal of climbing El Capitan free solo, so Honnold had to listen to a lot of sayings and tips. I knew alot about Alex and his climbing achievements already but damn this book gives you so much insight into the tiny details of his massive free solos adventures. His journal-like passages, set in italics for the entirety of the book, trade off with Roberts’ narration, in which he provides historical context for Honnold’s climbs and records, defines and explains climbing methods and jargon. And, “I knew rationally that every other serious sport had […] PTs and masseuses […] but for whatever reason, I’d always felt that climbers could just live in the dirt and somehow recover naturally.Alex's environmental instinct, his charitable foundation etc, is interesting in terms of karma, that is the chance that his good deeds keep him from falling off the wall somehow, but felt tacked on in this -- although I suppose he does spend his life in National Parks and is glued to these rocks and experiences them in a way no one else on earth really does. Co-directed with Jimmy Chin, the film offers an intimate, unflinching portrait of rock climber Alex Honnold, as he prepares for and then achieves his lifelong dream: to climb the face of the world's most famous rock . Even though they aren’t as glamorous, and don’t really capture the public imagination the same way, they represent the same spirit as soloing.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment