276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Altra Men's Lone Peak 6 Sneaker

£93.72£187.44Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Canice: The outsole has good traction on dry technical terrain like we have here in Park City, UT. It suffers a bit in wet sloppy stuff but in general works well. I’ll be clear: weight isn’t something I obsess over when deciding what kind of shoes to run in. On most of my outings, I find myself on slow-moving terrain where a couple grams either way isn’t particularly noticeable. And while it feels great to be in something light and agile, I like to think of wearing a heavier training shoe as an added bit of strength training. Over the years I’ve tested running equipment and ski equipment, and I’ve found that how heavy a piece of gear feels is inextricably linked to what you’ve gotten used to, or even to what you most recently had been using. So while our reviewer Kieran Nay, in his review of the Lone Peak 4.5, says that that model’s weight became one of his main complaints, I would say that in the case of the Lone Peak 6, its heft didn’t bother me or contribute to any ungainliness. In fact, on trail, the shoe felt deceptively lightweight compared to the pair of Salomon Ultra /Pros I had been running in previously.

The Lone Peak 6 is about half an ounce lighter than the 5 and feels a bit more flexible, giving it a more nimble feel. The same can be said of the wider toebox. It’s just a different feel, and that difference isn’t for everyone.Despite the length fitting perfectly, I wondered if Altra’s “Original Footshape” fit — their widest-profile shoe — would end up being too wide for my foot, and possibly affect the stability of the shoe or heighten the torque on some part of my lower limbs. Out of the box, the toebox is quite spacious, both in respect to width and height, but the laces extend far enough forward that I was able to cinch down the forefoot enough to condense the excess room for a secure fit there. Despite the width being slightly overkill for my narrower feet, I was still very willing to give this shoe a try because, while I think of my feet as medium-to-low volume, the potential benefits from a wider toebox on longer runs seemed appealing, especially considering how my feet seem to swell almost a full size after a few hours of running. When a mainstay like the Lone Peak comes out with a new version, the biggest concern is whether or not they messed with a good thing. Dom: I’m thrilled to report that the LP6 is a big improvement. The excessive roominess of the LP5 is slightly moderated; the midfoot hold is improved; the floppiness of the sole is improved; the amount of protection is increased; all without regression in any area. All of these small changes add up to a much better shoe.

Running is more comfortable with the right clothing. This article highlights fabrics and features for warm weather and winter running. Price comparisons are based on the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price ("MSRP") or Original Selling Price. Actual sales may not have occurred at this price. Once I start running, I stop noticing the shoe, which I think is a testament to the natural feel that the Lone Peak provides,” another reviewer says. “It’s like the shoe becomes an extension of my body.” I'm all about those roomy toe boxes, but not all about the zero drop. (For what it's worth, the podiatrist who trained me in hiking footwear had the same take on Altra trail running shoes.) Sadly, I quit hiking in my Lone Peaks after my second calf strain in fifty miles—after zero calf strains in my previous 10,000 miles in other brands (and none in 3000 Altra-free miles since). Some of my customers, co-workers, and friends have had more serious issues in the Altra Lone Peak, including injuries such as stress fractures, broken ankles, and ruptures Achilles tendons.Great to hear, Charles! Nice that you were able to dial in the fit on the LP6 after a few days of wear. Happy trails! Reply Those vents round the toe box of the LP 6 look like they will get snagged and ripped by vegetation and thorny shrubs and the protection will just peel away. The Lone Peak was the pioneer of their brand. The true OG. It is one of the few that is reminiscent, almost unchanged, over ten iterations! A good portion of Altra’s cult following (that we often refer to) goes right for this shoe.

There’s also a tiny pull tab on the heel and a slightly larger one on the tongue. Anyone who knows me knows that a shoe (especially a trail shoe) without a pull tab is a deal breaker so it’s great to see one. Dom and Canice: Exhaustively discussed above. But to summarize, LP6 is lighter, more protective, and has better foot hold. From my perspective, there’s not much to debate: the LP6 is a clearly better shoe. It’s also now available in a wide (even wider) variant. This is the best Lone Peak to date. Altra's best selling trail shoe has been updated. We carry a full range of colors and sizes in the new Lone Peak 7. Moving up the Lone Peak 6, leathery plastic overlays on the medial and lateral midfoot and toebox add some stability and protection to the vamp, but are still quite thin. Heat-welded overlays like these potentially add some durability — after about 50 miles on mostly moderate trails, the upper still shows minimal sign of wear, but I’m dubious about their long-term sturdiness. The Altra Lone Peak 5 was the first version of this iconic trail shoe to feature responsive Altra EGO midsole foam. The Lone Peak 6 continues the tradition with a heel-to-toe bed of EGO foam.

The Intro

Dom: That said, the usual caveats remain: this is a wide shoe that prioritizes toe comfort over foot hold. The ‘classic’ Altra last is not to everyone’s taste. Similarly it is also a zero drop shoe, which can be a jarring transition if your foot is not used to it. The Altra Lone Peak series is something of a classic among the zero-drop trail running community. The Lone Peak 6 has that classic wide foot shape with a sturdy upper, excellent lacing, and a promising grip.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment