276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Max Magic: the Sunday Times bestselling debut from Stephen Mulhern!

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is a great book for perhaps late primary age children to read alone or with adults at story time together. The story is brilliant and wraps up nicely while still leaving loads of room for more stories to come.

A zany, fast pace tale that is sure to grab kids attention and also subtly deals with issues like bullying and being different and embracing it. He lives in Surrey with his wife and three children and in his spare time works as a Production Manager for Hachette Children's Books. Registered address: Unit 5, Vulcan House Business Centre, Vulcan Road, Leicester, LE5 3EF, United kingdom. I don't like how he solely used magic to defeat the bullies either as whilst it's a fun read it doesn't help children know what to do with any bullies that may be in their life.Along with his co-author Tom Easton, Stephen has written a book that is easy to read, engaging, and funny. It also shows how teamwork can help you achieve challenges easier, and it was great to see the friends come up with different ideas. Stephen Mulhern is a well known TV presenter and I think he should be proud of his first childrens novel.

I think the portrayals of each of the characters brought them to life in a very vivid way and I liked the many ways in which they all helped Max to think about the consequences of his actions as he experimented with using his newly-discovered magic powers. Max's character was fun to learn about, and seeing him carry on the family tradition of being a magician. Young Max's unquashable optimism, sense of humour, loyalty and sheer good nature make him an unforgettable character together with his staunch friends and a quirky family (all the way from wise Gran to Lucky the dog).The chapters felt a little long for me, but the beautiful illustrations made the reading experience more enjoyable. Full details of your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations are available in the UK from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or your Local Authority's Trading Standards Office. After an incident on his dad’s stall, he must find a way to save his dad’s business from the Crayfish Twins and asks his friends for help. The illustrations, Begoña Fernández Corbalán, are amazing and add an element to the story; I love the flipbook-style image on the corner of each page. It was certainly quite lighthearted but I should warn parents that there are also some elements that might be a bit disturbing for some readers so, dependent on your child, you might want to give it a quick flick through yourselves first– there are elements of bullying as well as criminal extortion and the threat of knives/guns.

I grew up watching Stephen Mulhern on TV so just had to get my hands on a copy of his debut children’s book, and I am so glad I did… In Stephen’s words, it is UNBELIEVABLE! Stephen Mulhern (Author) Stephen Mulhern is one of the most in-demand television presenters today, with a string of smash-hit television show s including Catchphrase, In For a Penny and Rolling In It. As a child she loved to draw , so when she grew up she knew that she wanted to get a degree in Fine Arts. Subjects include vampires, pirates, pandemics, teenage girl boxers and teenage boy knitters (not all in the same book).

I would have thought that this would appeal to children who like David Walliam’s books or the Treehouse series. As it’s clear that this is the first story in a planned series so I’m sure that any child who has enjoyed it will be eagerly anticipating joining Max and his friends on future adventures.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment