276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of Flags - from the author of the global bestseller Prisoners of Geography

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Marshall was educated at Prince Henry's Grammar School, a state-funded comprehensive school in the market town of Otley, near Leeds, West Yorkshire. Tim Marshall is easily my favourite non-fiction writer, his books are succinct, fascinating and surprisingly witty given their often dry subject matters.

Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of Flags - Goodreads

Simon Redfern (13 September 2014). "Book of the week: 'Dirty Northern B*st*rds!': Britain's Football". The Independent. Archived from the original on 7 May 2022.

a b Retica, Aaron (30 June 2017). "A World's Worth of Flags and What They Mean". The New York Times . Retrieved 19 December 2021. My first impressions of this book were highly positive. Instantly, I imagined giving this book a rating of five stars. What drew me in the beginning was the chapter names; I really liked the way that the book was structured. The first few chapters were stimulating, concise, and highly educational; I certainly learned a great deal. Then, I reached the chapter on Arabian flags, and I spotted a few sloppy errors by the author that brought my initial impression down to four stars. And including Turkey and Iran in a chapter called 'Colours of Arabia'? At least change it to 'Colours of the Middle East'. The sloppy factual errors, while irritating and slightly orientalist, could still be forgiven. After all, the book was still highly engaging and informative.

A Flag Worth Dying For | Book by Tim Marshall | Official A Flag Worth Dying For | Book by Tim Marshall | Official

Why the white flag is a symbol of surrender is shrouded in mystery, perhapslost in time. It is thought the Chinese used it as a symbol of mourning 3-4 thousand years ago." Everybody can have this white flag. It has spread into other facets of our lives. If a boxer is taking too much of a beating – why do they throw in a white towel? There's a relationshipof surrender." Account icon An icon in the shape of a person's head and shoulders. It often indicates a user profile. However, what irked me were areas where Tim discusses, often unrequired for the context of the book, the political and cultural positioning of countries. These areas appear to be based more on Tim's opinions rather than facts, contain inconsistencies and stereotypes, and make the book fall short of a good read.Both images, but perhaps more so the 9/11 photograph, also evoke the opening stanza of the American national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner,” particularly its final lines: Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of Flags is a 2016 book on vexillology (the study of flags) by British journalist and author Tim Marshall, published by Elliott & Thompson. It was published in the United States by Simon & Schuster in 2017 as A Flag Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of National Symbols.

Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of National A Flag Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of National

As the drone flew lower, a stunned silence began to descend around the stadium and then, as it hovered near the center circle, there was a sudden explosion of outrage. It was carrying an Albanian flag. Business Insider spoke with Tim Marshall, author of "Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of Flags"about why the white flag is used as a symbol of surrender worldwide.I am no more than what you believe me to be and I am all that you believe I can be." — The American flag in a conversation as imagined by Franklin K. Lane, US secretary of the interior, Flag Day, 1914 This reader foolishly persisted and was treated to numerous facile opinions on if a flag looked nice and if the author liked a country. Liked a country? Yes. As in does he enjoy the local food or is a fan of the national soccer team. This chapter in particular is filled with so much orientalist writing that really put the book in perspective for me. The first thing he does is make ISIS sound like the biggest evil since the medieval times (hello Nazis and the KKK?) in a highly sensationalised opening paragraph.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment