276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Conn Iggulden Emperor Series, 5 Books Collection Pack Set RRP: £40.95 (The Gods of War, The Gates of Rome, The Death of Kings, The Field of Swords,The Blood of Gods)

£9.995£19.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The series began in the year 2003, with the release of “The Gates of Rome”, and concluded with “The Blood of Gods”, which was released in the year 2013. This last novel actually takes place after Caesar has been killed, and stars Octavian, Caesar’s adopted son.

This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sourcesin this section. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in London by the end of that period. I have enormous respect for those who still labour at the chalk-face. In truth, I can’t find it in me to miss the grind of paperwork and initiatives. I do miss the camaraderie of the smokers’ room, as well as the lessons where their faces lit up as they understood what I was wittering on about. The Gods of War follows Julius Caesar through politics and passion, ruthless ambition and private grief, and into the corruption of power itself. Those he has loved will play a part in his triumphs—as will the jealousy and hatred of his enemies.From there, it’s a battle all around the Mediterranean as Caesar mops up his enemies with more of Iggulden’s trademark action style, and then- and then Cleopatra bursts on to the scene, and it all starts to feel like a crossover episode. While Iggulden is not shy to admit that he took some liberties with the historical record, Brad Hooper, writing inBooklistfound thatEmperor: The Gates of Rome“casts authentically detailed light on the early years of the great Roman general and statesman Julius Caesar.” CONQUEROR SERIES

Hij heeft het keizerrijk geschapen, maar er zelf niet van kunnen genieten. Zo gaat het zo vaak. De mannen die het pad effenen worden er onder bedolven.One of history’s most notorious assassinations sets the stage for a riveting tale of political intrigue, epic battle, and righteous retribution in a new novel of ancient Rome from #1 New York Times bestselling author Conn Iggulden. I thought the novel was well paced and the battle scenes were excellent. He digs into the politics of the Senate and the arrogance of the ruling elite, who thought they could get away with assassination. Octavian’s relationship with Mark Antony is also well done. The author shows two men using each other for their own ends. It is a kind of “an enemy of my enemy is my friend” sort of relationship. Antony is shown as resentful that he wasn’t the main heir, but willing to use Octavian to obtain money to pay his legions and the approval of the masses. Octavian on the other hand uses Antony for his prestige and the legions he has under his control. The sale of customised goods or perishable goods, sealed audio or video recordings, or software, which has been opened. That’s about it for the moment. If you’d like to get in touch with me leave a comment in the forum or you can tweet me @Conn_Iggulden. I’ll leave it there for the moment. If you’ve read my books, you know an awful lot about the way I think already. There’s no point overdoing it. The novel ends with the battle of Philippi and the defeat of Brutus and Cassius. The battle is well told and the author gives a different explanation of why Octavian always seemed to miss the battles.

In 2018, Penguin Books released a historical novel calledThe Falcon of Sparta, about the effort of Prince Cyrus to become King of Persia and the stranded 10,000 Greek mercenaries who walked out of Persia while pursued by the King’s armies following theBattle of Cunaxa. Awards of Conn Iggulden Marking the author’s triumphant return to the setting of his celebrated Emperor series, The Blood of Gods unfolds with unmatched power, electric with the high-adventure storytelling, captivating historical detail, and stirring battle scenes for which Conn Iggulden is renowned. In zijn lange historische noot (wat hou ik er van als een schrijver dat doet!) heeft Iggulden meer dan gelijk: Caesar was niet alleen een sterke generaal, hij was een briljant man die perfect wist welke middelen hij moest uitspelen om mannen aan zich te binden. Hij gebruikt moderne technieken zoals propaganda en politieke gunsten aan de armen om te krijgen wat hij wil. The series received a lot of acclaim upon publication, but at times, he changed historical facts to suit the narrative or because of ignorance. The biggest change is that Caesar and Brutus grew up as friends during their childhood. This could not have happened because Brutus was actually fifteen years younger and some thought he was Caesar’s (this is unlikely, though). Drawn together by their common cause, Antony and Octavian marshal their forces into an avenging army on a mission to reunite all that Caesar’s fall has torn asunder. Even as his cohorts flee for their lives—or fall prey to vigilantes—a defiant Brutus vows never to relinquish what his ruthless ambition has won him. As opposing legions join in mortal combat, the destiny of Rome will turn on which of their commanders is the mightiest and most cunning.

Success!

Although not brothers, the boys are raised together and trained in the arts of war. With the brutal death of Gaius’s father in a slave revolt, the boys take up residence with Gaius’s uncle Marius, a consul who is a leading contender for control of the Republic.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment