276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Soul Mining

£12.225£24.45Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ever since hearing 'Giant' for the first time in a Berlin club, this album has accompanied me through my life and has constant rotation several times a year. Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.

As for “Uncertain Smile”, well, what a triumph of songwriting and storytelling. The whole ideology of The The was there in the name, an amorphous collection of musicians tailored for each song, and while Johnny Marr didn’t sign up for another decade, he and Matt Johnson were already musical soulmates in the early 80’s (it sure sounds like Marr on guitar here). The guitar riff is a mellifluous lilt and the words are simply heartbreaking (“I’ve got you under my skin/where the rain can’t get in/but as the sweat pours out, just shout/I’ll try to swim and pull you out”). It actually gets even better when Jools Holland appears with his boogie-woogie shuffle. Recorded in one take, he lifts the song into the stars. In the newspaper that accompanies the box set, Matt Johnson correctly describes it as “Possibly the finest piano solo in British pop music over the past 30 years.” One key development of the musical eighties is the phenomenon I would call 'Rundgrenism': the pop-auteur, a solitary force of nature in the studio, crafting an ural universe practically single-handed. These had existed in the pre-punk seventies, e.g. the aforementioned Todd R., or Brian Eno, but it was the general adoption of synthesised sound that heralded the Princes, Peter Gabriels, and Kate Bushes of the world. The The, really one Matt Johnson, is one of these. His debut record aims for the sort of eccentric singularity that propelled Bush's 'Dreaming' or Gabriel's 'Melt', and in a sense Johnson manages a similar sense of vision. The closer “Giant” is a perfect summary of the album’s manifesto. An incredibly serious piece of music and an existential musing upon the nature of the self - “How could anyone know me when I don’t even know myself?” - it’s a theme Matt Johnson would revisit on the majestic ‘Slow Emotion Replay” from 1993’s Dusk.

Catalog

Camelle G. Hinds – bass guitar on "I've Been Waitin' for Tomorrow (All of My Life)", "Uncertain Smile", "The Twilight Hour", "Giant" and "Perfect" In interviews for the 2014 reissue Johnson stated that some of the earlier songs such as "Uncertain Smile" and "The Twilight Hour" had the theme of "unrequited love", although as he had fallen in love with Skinner while writing the album, the later songs explored other themes. "I've Been Waitin' for Tomorrow (All of My Life)" was about the cognitive dissonance and confusion created by media propaganda. He rejected his reputation for writing depressing lyrics, saying that they were "supposed to be uplifting, but thoughtful. A poignant reflection." [11] Recording [ edit ] We have also produced an A2 giclée print with the re-working by Andy Dog of the iconic artwork he created for his brother’s seminal album, Soul Mining. Printed in vibrant colours on heavyweight 315gsm, soft-textured, 100% cotton, archive-quality white paper with the classic THE THE logo hand-embossed into the top left hand corner. While the songs for the album were being written, Johnson and Hardiman set about looking for a recording studio in London. Although the only two studios credited in the liner notes for Soul Mining are Advision and Sarm, Johnson has since stated in several interviews that the majority of the album was recorded at the Garden studio in Shoreditch, east London. [7] [11] British album certifications – The The – Soul Mining". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 27 November 2021.

In retrospect, the eighties have often been greeted with an air of sarcasm. The mainstream audience tends to scoff at anything that was released in the era. However, there has been an apparent increase in the popularity of the fluorescent dance music of the eighties in alternative music culture, with artists such as M83 and Chvrches spawning a fresh new interpretation. While the influence may only be stylistic, the sound of The The seems to resemble this trendy new eighties resurgence more than most other groups of the era. This is perhaps due to the fact that The The’s stark, eccentric sound has dated rather modestly, considering the amount of stylistic conventions that are used in this album. The juxtaposition of sounds and themes in The The’s music is obviously a positive addition to their overall sound, creating a unique touch.The original New York-produced 7" single versions of "Uncertain Smile" and "Perfect" were included on the The's greatest hits album 45 RPM: The Singles of The The in 2002, while the two 12" versions were included on the second disc of the 30th anniversary reissue of Soul Mining in 2014. The 2014 2-LP "30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" boxset of Soul Mining includes an authentic vinyl reproduction of the 1983 release, with audio remastered in 2013 (overseen by Matt Johnson at Abbey Road Studios), and is expanded with a second vinyl containing alternate versions, 12"'s and remixes, intended to complete a "purist album experience". THE THE also recently announced details of a limited edition 12” vinyl release on Sony Music for this year’s Record Store Day on Saturday 19th April 2014. It will be available at participating record shops globally. When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services. It might just be my attraction towards generally anxious and melancholic albums, but this album truly has no weak moment

Melody Maker placed Soul Mining at number three in its critics' list of the best albums of 1983 [36] and the NME placed it at number 25 in its own list the same year. [37] In 1989 Record Mirror and Sounds both included the album in their critics' lists of the albums of the decade, Record Mirror ranking it at number eight [38] and Sounds ranking it at number 24. [39]

Selected items are only available for delivery via the Royal Mail 48® service and other items are available for delivery using this service for a charge. a b Petridis, Alexis (27 June 2014). "The The: Soul Mining reissue review – a brilliant and idiosyncratic pop album". The Guardian. G2 supplement, p. 20 . Retrieved 26 March 2016. This June, Sony will release a 30th Anniversary deluxe vinyl version of The The’s, 1983 album Soul Mining. a b c d e Doran, John (16 June 2014). "Under My Skin: Matt Johnson Discusses Soul Mining With John Doran". The Quietus . Retrieved 27 November 2021. Rylance, Stephen (29 July 2014). "This Is the Day: The The – 'Soul Mining: 30th Anniversary Edition' ". PopMatters . Retrieved 27 November 2021.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment